Blade from Rob Papen is a virtual synthesizer that takes traditional synthesis further via the inclusion of what the company calls a "Harmolator," a function that allows for modulating the "harmonics" of an oscillator using a virtual XY pad. This oscillator system uses nine global controls which change the harmonic content (partials) of the waveform.
The Harmolator allows oscillator spreading, fattening the sound and producing a square/sine wave sub-oscillator. The original sound source can be further modified using twenty-one per-voice distortions types and fourteen filter types. The synthesizer offers total control of the sound over time using an array of different modulation controls.
A central XY screen allows for either altering things directly by moving the cursor around, or by recording paths that can be replayed. The recorded path can be looped, bi-directional, and tempo synched. Even the speed of the XY path can be modulated for dynamic changes.
Additionally, Blade offers a full range of other modulation sources, including a dedicated envelope, and velocity as a modulation source for the Harmolator controls. Two effects units feature all the effects from the company's other products, plus an Arpeggiator/Sequencer and an Easy page which allow for easily and complete control of sound creation.
- Sixteen voices, operating in poly , mono 1/2 , legato 1/2 and arpeggiator modes
- Harmolator oscillator with nine controls, Harmolator wave settings, two types of spread functions, and extended sub-oscillator
- Twenty-one distortion units operating per voice (ahead of filter)
- Fourteen filter types including 6/12/18/24 low/high, 12/24 band pass/notch, vocal and comb filter
- Filter Separation function for unique filter stereo sound
- Amplifier section with volume, velocity and envelope control
- XP Pad with twelve amount controls for each X and Y, which can modulate the 9 Harmolator parameters, filter cutoff, filter Q, and volume
- XY Pad which can operate either directly or with recorded paths, in poly, mono or free modes
- XY Pad playback can be tempo synced, with different tempo settings, and with loop and bi-directional loop options
- XY Pad movement speed control
- XY editing options on right mouse menu
- Dedicated Harmolator velocity, LFO and envelope controls
- Pitch LFO and pitch envelope, two free Harmolator control sources, two free envelopes, two free LFOs and four modulation sources
- All controls can be used as modulation destinations, and there are a full range of modulation sources including MIDI controls and internal controls
- Two effects units with twenty-seven effects, including distortion, reverb and tape delay plus many more
- Sixteen-step arpeggiator with each step having its own pitch, velocity and free amount, which can also be used as a sequencer for modulation purposes
- Easy Page allows control of the main parameters in a flexible and easy way
- Preset handling with copy, paste, clear and compare function
- "Quick Browser," "Recently Browsed" and "Favorite" functions
- Preset Manager Screen allows you to easily find and organize presets and banks
- Full MIDI control over all parameters including the X/Y Pad