The 18-135mm f/ 3.5-5.6 Telephoto Zoom Lens from Sony covers some very frequently used focal lengths between 18mm and 135mm. It is a Sony Alpha lens that has been optimized for cropped image sensors, and as a result it is not recommended for use with larger full-frame cameras. That means its 18-135mm focal length is the 35mm equivalent of a longer 27-202mm telephoto zoom lens. It is constructed of 11 elements in 9 groups, with two aspherical elements and a single Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass element, which all help to deliver sharp, clear photos throughout the zoom range. It has a minimum focusing distance of 1.4' and a front-end filter diameter of 55mm.
Sony's Direct Manual Focus (DMF) allows you to easily switch between AF and MF without even having to remove your eyes from the viewfinder. The lens also provides a smooth and quiet AF thanks to the Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM) built into it, which also improves AF response when shooting moving subjects.
- 35mm Equivalent: 27-202.5mm
- This 18-135mm lens has a 7.5x zoom factor, and is the 35mm equivalent of a 27-202.5mm lens on the cropped APS-C cameras it was designed for.
- Aperture Range: f/3.5-36
- In addition to the zoom range, the aperture varies along with the focal length as well: with f/3.5 to 5.6 at wide angles, and f/22 to 36 when zoomed in.
- Optimized For APS-C Size / Alpha & Minolta DSLRs
- Optimized for Sony Alpha APS-C sensor cameras, the lens covers an outstanding 7.5x zoom range from 18-135mm, which is the 35mm equivalent of an 27-202.5mm lens.
- Dual Aspherical Glass Lens Elements
- These precision lens elements correct distortion for sharper, more visually accurate images across the entire zoom range of the lens.
- Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) Glass
- To reduce chromatic aberrations, most noticeable when zoomed all the way in to the 202.5mm equivalent focal length, the extra-low dispersion (ED) glass corrects for certain wavelengths of light - producing sharper images with truer colors.
- Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM)
- Designed for fast, smooth and silent automatic focusing, Sony's unique Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM) technology achieves high torque at low speed with rapid start/stop response. The AF control signals from the camera body are sent to the lens-mounted SAM unit, which drives the lens directly, helping to assure quick and accurate AF response.
- Direct Manual Focus (DMF)
- Direct Manual Focus (DMF), which includes functions previously offered mainly on Carl Zeiss, G and other high-performance lenses, allows users to quickly switch between AF (autofocus) and MF (manual focus) without removing their eyes from the viewfinder. This helps prevent missed opportunities due to focus lag or incorrect focusing.
- 7x Circular Aperture Blades
- Circular aperture blades produce smooth, rounded bokeh background effects when capturing spot-light sources in your pictures. Because the aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing circular defocused effect.
- Filter Diameter: 62mm
- The 62mm from filter thread does not rotate, allowing rotating polarizing filters to be used.