Once again proving their excellence in the realm of home theater equipment, the TX-NR818 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver from Onkyo is a receiver that easily provides both high performance and versatility. The TX-NR818 offers premium A/V processing, Blu-ray and 3D content compatibility and an array of connections to accommodate both legacy and advanced equipment.
This receiver has a dual-core video engine design that employs an HQV Vida VHD1900 processor that handles upscaling of your analog content to 1080p. And if you have full HD content that you want to take to digital theater-level 4K resolution, the integrated Marvell Qdeo technology takes over from there. So no matter what video quality you're working with, this receiver ensures superior quality and smooth, accurate picture quality. Another technology at work is ISF, which calibrates video from any of the inputs to industry standards.
Possessing a THX Select2 Plus certification, this receiver offers superb audio processing as well. It has 3-stage inverted Darlington circuitry with 192kHz/24-bit DACs. Of course, it has a bevy of interfaces to incorporate all your devices into your home theater setup. These include eight HDMI version 1.4a, which supports 3D content and an Audio Return Channel for convenience. These HDMI inputs have what's called Mobile High Definition Link, so if you have a compatible smartphone you can connect it to enjoy 1080p video on your HDTV. Two HDMI outputs allow you to output video to an external monitor. Equipped with two USB ports, the receiver lets you connect your iPod or iPhone for additional choices. It's able to connect to a home network, either through a wired connection or wirelessly with the purchase of Onkyo's LAN adapter.
Rounding out its excellent feature set is support for advanced audio formats Audyssey DSX, DTS Neo:X and Dolby Pro Logic IIz to take your home theater experience to new heights. With integrated Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction, fine tuning of your sound based on unique characteristics of your listening environment takes place. Onkyo has also included InstaPrevue technology, which lets you see your inputs in a picture-in-picture scenario for easy switching of sources. Additional features include digital crossover processing, front channel bi-amping capability, and three-zone audio distribution. In so many ways, this A/V receiver rises above its competition to deliver some of the best sights and sounds available for your home theater.
- 7.2 Channel Surround Sound
- A realistic, cinematic experience is yours with the 135-watts per channel TX-NR818 that offers support for a 7.2-channel system. It can provide enveloping surround sound with high fidelity audio for your favorite movies, music and games. Since it is also armed with dual subwoofer pre-outs, you can enjoy additional heart-pumping bass to support your movies and music
- 8 HDMI 1.4a Inputs With 3D and ARC
- An array of connectivity options includes 8 HDMI 1.4a inputs (one on the front panel), 2 component video, one PC hookup, and 5 composite video inputs. If you're connecting by HDMI, the 1.4a specification means this receiver can carry 3D video and an Audio Return Channel (ARC). If you also have a 3D-ready display, 3D-ready cable and 3D glasses, you're on your way to enjoy wraparound visuals with 3D Blu-ray discs and gaming. Support for ARC means you can send audio data from your TV "upstream" to the receiver to eliminate the need for a separate audio connection
- Wireless Cloud Streaming, Internet Radio & PC-Based Music
- Connect to your home network using a LAN cable (wireless networking is enabled with optional UWF-1 wireless LAN adapter), you can stream audio and Internet radio. Play formats like MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, FLAC, and WMA lossless stored on your PC through your home theater system,. This receiver lets you access Internet radio channels from Pandora, Slacker, Sirius XM Internet Radio, Last.fm, and vTuner, plus cloud-based music streaming from Rhapsody, MP3tunes, Spotify and Aupeo
- Mobile High Definition Link (MHL)
- The HDMI port on the front panel is designed to accept compatible smartphones and other portable electronic devices using the MHL standard. This lets you display full 1080p video and still images on your HDTV with up to 7.1 channels of surround sound. Use the receiver's remote control playback from your phone as it receives a recharge
- InstaPrevue Technology
- The TX-NR818 features InstaPrevue visual port management technology, so you can switch input sources seamlessly. This provides a live video thumbnail of the available content on your devices connected via HDMI. Now, you won't have to remember which component is hooked up to which input -- you can see what's playing and choose more quickly
- THX Select2 Plus Certified
- THX Select2 Plus certification is specified for rooms where the screen-to-seat viewing distance is 10-12 feet and the room volume is around 2000 cubic feet. To achieve THX Select2 Plus certification, the TX-NR818 had to meet the world's most demanding standards for home theater audio quality and performance, and play at reference volume levels with minimal distortion
- Superior Video Processing
- Inside the TX-NR818, three advanced video processing and enhancement systems are at work to make sure imaging is crisp and smooth:
HQV Vida VHD1900
- The Vida VHD1900 upscales analog content to 1080p, and enhances native high-definition sources. The chip employs multi-cadence tracking, expanded 12-bit color processing, and four-field motion adaptive de-interlacing. Auto HQV enhances the incoming image, while HQV StreamClean cleans up video from lower-quality online sources by eliminating mosquito and block noise
Marvell Qdeo Technology
- Qdeo technology upscales 1080p sources to 4K (4096 x 2160) -- even content already upscaled from lower resolutions by the HQV Vida processor. Played back on a compatible 4K display, your high-definition content will look more cinematic than ever
ISF Video Calibration
- ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) video calibration dramatically improves picture quality. Each video input source is independently calibrated to achieve the best possible performance from your connected HDTV 1
- Onkyo Remote Apps for iPod touch/iPhone & Android
- The Onkyo Remote App 2 for iPod touch/iPhone and Onkyo Remote for Android phone both provide an intuitive way to operate Onkyo network A/V receivers. Control input sources, adjust settings, and play audio stored in a smart phone wirelessly (Android phone only) using the application's interactive graphical display. The two remote apps are available separately as free downloads 2
- Three Advanced Sound Expansion Systems
- A 7-channel system provides a more immersive entertainment experience, with additional High or Wide channels convincing you with realistic directional and ambient effects. Audyssey DSX, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, and DTS Neo:X expansion systems offer you freedom to choose your preferred speaker setup. Audyssey DSX can expand 5.1 sources to incorporate wide or height channels. The Dolby system adds height channels and stereo source expansion, while DTS Neo:X offers Wides or Heights with cinema, music, or game listening modes
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32 Room Correction
- Audyssey's top-of-the-line room correction suite equalizes the sound to suit the unique acoustics of your listening space. High-resolution filters are applied to all channels- including subwoofers -- based on information collected from more than 10,000 individual control points across eight measurement positions
- Solid Design and Construction
- Processing equipment and amplifier circuits are housed separately to limit electrical interference, while PLL (Phase Locked Loop) jitter cleaning preserves signal integrity by eliminating digital clock noise. The amplifier's three-stage inverted Darlington circuitry-an enhancement to the core WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) concept- ensures minimal distortion, and better manages impedance fluctuations. Quality circuitry dovetails with a heavy-duty power supply for instantaneous response to signal gains. The resulting sound is reliably pure, even under heavy loads