The Behringer S16 Digital Snake I/O Box takes the burden out of connecting your FOH (Front of House) console with the talent monitor. It provides 16 fully programmable, remotely controllable high-end mic preamps, 8 analog, balanced XLR returns at the stage end, and connects to the FOH through a single CAT5 cable without the need for a dedicated router.
This I/O box is designed with multiple scenarios in mind; it works equally well as a stand-alone pair for use with analog mixing consoles, or as part of the trio of a digital mixing solution along with the X32 digital mixer and P16 personal monitoring system. It is a 16-in and 8-out stage box that features AES50 networking with the KLARK TEKNIK SuperMAC technology.
The 16 MIDAS-designed XLR inputs are fully programmable and remote controllable from the X32 digital mixer. The 8 balanced XLR outputs provide ample sends to the stage for mains and monitoring. The front panel also allows the level and phantom power to be controlled for all inputs and outputs, accompanied by an 8-LED meter and 7-segment display. The currently selected channel can be monitored in mono through a 1/4” TRS headphone jack with level control.
The dual AES50 jacks allow transmission of all audio and MIDI data to the X32 FOH with a single Ethernet cable, and also allow up to three S16 boxes to be cascaded for maximum channel count. In this scenario, 48 bi-directional audio channels at 24-bit / 48 kHz can be transferred on just one CAT5 line between the FOH console and the stage, including 48 analog inputs from stage, 24 analog outputs on stage, as well as the 16 Ultranet channels, MIDI data, and head amp remote control.
An additional Ultranet output provides 16 channels for use with the P16 personal monitoring system through the Ethernet cable, allowing each musician to dial in his or her own custom mix from the stage. A pair of ADAT ports can carry additional sends to the stage beyond the 8 analog outputs, or split the 16 inputs. Lastly, a USB jack allows for future firmware updates.
- Massive Connectivity
- When used as part of a complete X32 system, two S16 stage boxes can be cascaded through the built-in AES50 ports, providing connectivity for up to 32 mic / line inputs, 16 balanced outputs, and the powerplay P16 personal monitoring system, which can feed up to 48 individual monitor mixers. It also includes two ADAT sockets (sold separately) for connecting channels 1 to 8 and 9 to 16 to outboard devices, a convenient USB port for system updates via your PC, MIDI I/O for lighting systems, and sound module control.
- Stand-Alone Snake Mode
- Although it was initially designed for use with the X32 digital console, any mixing board with AES50 networking capability can tap into this powerful feature set. So, if you happen to work on an analog mixing board occasionally, you could use two pairs of S16s and ADA8000s to form a high-performance, lightweight 16 x 16 digital snake, and all on one CAT5 connection, keeping the preamp remote control functionality.
- Remotely Controllable Preamps Make Setup a Breeze
- Having to run back and forth to FOH or trying to communicate with a tech on stage tracking down a bad cable or connection can really put a crimp in the gig. S16's ingenious monitoring / head amp control section allows you to select any one of the 16 inputs, 8 bus outputs, or P16 output streams for immediate line checks. In addition to signal metering at the stage box, you can set individual input channel gain, apply +48 V phantom power, and you have the option of listening directly to the input signal via headphones. Once set, all configuration settings can be locked at the console for total system security.
- Seamless Integration with P16 Personal Monitoring System
- The Ultranet port on the S16 lets you connect directly to the P16 system, which provides an easy way to give your musicians and vocalists what they really want. The P16-M personal mixers let each performer take control of what they hear, allowing you to concentrate on providing the audience with the best possible listening experience. Fast and easy to set up, a basic system can be installed and configured in a matter of minutes and the system can be expanded to adapt to changing needs.
- KLARK TEKNIK AES50
The KLARK TEKNIK SuperMAC (AES50 compliant) technology gives the S16 its high-capacity digital interconnectivity with ultra-low latency operation, superbly simple deployment, and ease of use. The engineers worked hand-in-hand with product developers to ensure that the S16 meets or exceeds the requirements of live performance entertainers and their professional audio engineers. Some of the features are as follows:
- 48 bi-directional audio channels over CAT5 cable (48 kHz)
- 24 bi-directional audio channels over CAT5 cable (96 kHz)
- Single cable duplex interconnection for audio and sample clocks
- Ethernet physical layer audio data transmission
- High channel count and ultra-low deterministic latency
- Accurate phase-aligned clock distribution
- Comprehensive error detection and management
- Provision for redundant networking
- Minimal configuration, total ease of deployment and use
- Ethernet TCP/IP protocol-compatible auxiliary data channel
- Extreme Value
- The S16 is a versatile 16 x 8 digital stage box solution with many unique features. It is built tough to withstand the rigors of the road. It only takes up two rack spaces and connects to FOH with a single CAT5 cable. Now you can have the missing link between the stage and FOH at a fraction of the cost of competing systems.
- Miscellaneous Features
- 16 MIDAS-designed, fully programmable mic preamps for audiophile sound quality
- 8 analog, servo-balanced XLR outputs
- AES50 network ports featuring KLARK TEKNIK’s SuperMAC networking capability for low jitter and latency
- Up to 328’ (100m) networking capability via CAT5e cable (sold separately)
- Dual AES50 ports for cascading units; no merger or router required
- Precise LED metering plus 7-segment displays for signal control on stage
- Dual ADAT outputs for use in splitter mode and stand-alone digital multicore applications
- MIDI in / out for bi-directional communication between FOH console and on-stage MIDI devices
- USB connector for system updates via PC
- Planet Earth switching power supply for maximum flexibility (100 to 240 V), noise-free audio, superior transient response, and low power consumption for energy saving
- Built like a tank, yet compact; all-steel 2U rack-mount chassis
- High-quality components and rugged construction ensure long life