Character from Metric Halo is a plug-in that models the functioning of various analog circuits, including microphone preamps, DIs and EQs used for recording, mixing and mastering. In particular, the plug-in seeks to mimic the way analog circuits add distortion. The plug-in features over twenty different models, incorporating the sound of tubes, transformers, and solid state devices.
A Drive control allows for pushing the distortion harder for over-the-top sound mangling. The software utilizes a complementary gain amplifier, meaning that as the Drive is increased to get more harmonic distortion, so the overall gain is automatically lowered by the same amount after the model. This allows for changing the tonal quality without changing the final output level.
With full supports of Pro Tools' automation, Drive level changes can be recorded to create dramatic changes in a particular sound without the need to ride the output level during playback.
Note: Requires an iLok 2 key if one is not already present on the system. A single license authorizes all specified plug-in formats.
- Character Models
- Transformer: Jensen transformer-coupled input
- Valve: Tube-based EQ input stage
- FET: Model of a solid state (transistor) front end
- Soft Sat: Tube-based EQ with saturation
- Boutique Tube: Hand-made tube microphone preamp
- American Transformer 1:Variation of the "Transformer" model
- American Transformer 2: Second variation of the "Transformer" model
- California Tube Mic: American-designed tube microphone preamp
- California Tube Line: American-designed tube line input
- Modern Tube DI: Mastering-quality tube DI
- Modern Tube EQ: Mastering-quality EQ
- Modern Tube Soft Sat: Mastering-quality EQ with saturation
- Modern Tube LG: Tube microphone preamp with a low gain setting
- Modern Tube MG: Tube microphone preamp e with a medium gain setting
- Modern Tube HG: Tube microphone preamp with a high gain setting
- Modern Tube Sym: Mastering-quality EQ
- Modern Tube Soft Sat: Mastering-quality tube microphone preamp with saturation
- Classic British Mic Pre: A favorite large-console microphone preamp
- American Solid State: FET mastering EQ
- California Vocal Box: Transformer-coupled tube vocal processor
- California Vocal Box Drive: Transformer-coupled tube vocal processor with increased gain
- British Mic Pre Clone: A popular clone of a favorite British microphone preamp
- Controls the gain of the signal feeding the Character model
- Boost or cut the input to the model by +/-24 dB
- Output Gain
- Tailors the final output level by +/-24 dB