RDL's HR-MCP2 Dual Microphone Compressor provides excellent input headroom and a transparent frequency response while keeping crosstalk and distortion well below the noise floor. Rear-panel switches allow you to choose whether each channel will operate as a mic-pre or as a studio quality compressor. Also included is a 48 Vdc phantom power option which ensures that the HR-MCP2 is compatible with both condenser and dynamic microphones.
The compressor utilizes gain reduction and automatic time release features to smooth the audio and prevent clipping throughout a wide dynamic range. It achieves its goal subtly and maintains the original sound quality with studio quality results and low noise performance.
Each of the two available mic-pre channels are equipped with a 6 dB/octave low-cut filter with a -3 dB cutoff at 80 Hz, an input pad which attenuates the input by 15 dB, and an output gain control which can correct the gain between 20 dB and 60 dB (for line level). All of these features can be toggled on and off via switches on the front face or a knob next to each channel. A 7-stage LED meter string can also be found on the front face which indicates the amount of gain reduction being applied to the audio signal. If the signal gets within 1 dB of clipping, the LED will flash red to indicate that the signal is too hot.
The rear of the HR-MCP2 features 2 balanced XLR ins and outs plus 2 balanced detachable terminal blocks ins and outs. Any of these connectors can also be rewired for unbalanced applications. The unit is compact in size and only takes up a half rack space, although to mount in a rack you must purchase the mounting kit separatly. The body is constructed of shielded metal and out of the box is designed to be a free-standing unit. Overall, if you are a looking for a reliable, transparent, versatile, and compact mic pre/compressor, the HR-MCP2 is an ideal choice.
- Dual Microphone Compression Channels
- The HR-MCP2 features two independent input channels with compression. It is designed to smooth the audio output signal without altering the integrity of the source audio. The compressors both feature gain reduction, automatic release time, and are designed to carry out their tasks with studio-quality sound and low-noise performance. The HR-MCP2 is flexible enough to be installed between your microphone and mixer, or an amplifier microphone input.
- Features Dual Channel Microphone Preamp Capabilities
- With line-level outputs, the HR-MCP2 can be operated as a stereo mic preamplifier, or as two separate mono preamplifiers. The rear-panel allows you to switch each output from line level to mic and the front panel features selectable 48v phantom power. RDL's unique circuit design preserves full studio quality, low-noise performance at any gain setting.
- Controls Clipping and Distortion from the Input Signal
- The preamp and compressor design allows the HR-MCP2 to instantaneously reduce the input gain to prevent clipping and distortion. The automatic release time adjustments allow the compression to be applied subtly over the entire dynamic gain reduction range. All these qualities together produce consistent audio levels and intelligibly prevents overloads and clipping.
- User Control Over I/O Signal Level
- Both available channels feature a 6 dB/octave low-cut filter with a -3 dB cut at 80 Hz and a switchable input pad which attenuates the input signal by 15 dB prior to the input stage. This allows the HR-MCP2 to have up to a +20 dBu input level without clipping. The outputs feature a continuous gain control capable of a 20 dB and 60 dB (line level) level of adjustment to ensure there is a wide range of gain correction on the input signal.
- Flexible I/O Routing Options
- The HR-MCP2 offers 2 balanced terminal blocks and XLR ins and outs, which may also be wired as unbalanced. These connections ensure the HR-MCP2 can support multiple audio environments including recording studios, broadcast studios, and commercial sound systems. The rear of the unit also houses the input jack for the 24 Vdc power supply.
- LED Metering
- The 7 LED clip meter will flash if an audio signal is within 1 dB of clipping, along with displaying continuous gain reduction data in 3 dB increments. This feature ensures you always have a visual representation of how much gain reduction is being applied and when your signals are getting too hot.
- 48V Phantom Power
- The HR-MCP2 includes a 48V phantom power source which can be activated via a switch on the front panel and is available on either of the two microphone channels. This feature is necessary when using most condenser microphones and it ensures the HR-MCP2 will be compatible with almost any microphone on the market.
- Multiple Professional Applications
- RDL designed the HR-MCP2 to be at home in multiple different audio environments. The combination of stereo mic pres, stereo compression, phantom power, flexible ins and outs, and a compact case make the HR-MCP2 a valuable piece of gear for broadcast studios, voice-over studios, public address systems, meeting rooms, and commercial sound systems.
- Can Be Rack Mounted or Operated Freestanding
- The HR-MCP2 is designed to be operated as a free-standing unit, but with the purchase of a conversion kit, can also be mounted in any industry standard half-rack space. These two options make the unit flexible when finding it a home in your crowded studio or when portability is a must.