The R1 Tube Active from Golden Age Project is vintage-style ribbon mic with active tube electronics. Priced surprisingly low for a mic of its type, it combines the mellow sound of a ribbon mic with the warmth of a tube mic.
The mic offers fast transient response for ultra-realistic reproduction, and its active circuitry, based around a 12AX7 tube amplifier, gives it enough output to use with a standard mic preamp. The R1 Tube Active can handle a whopping 165 dB SPL, making it compatible with the loudest of sources.
As is typical for a ribbon mic, it has a figure-8 polar pattern, which means it picks up primarily from the front and rear of the capsule and rejects sounds coming from the sides. You can use this to your advantage in the studio to help minimize bleed when two or more sources are recording in the same room. The R1 MKII is well-suited for electric guitar, vocals, strings, horns, acoustic instruments, orchestras, choral groups, and many live-sound applications.
The R1 Tube Active is recommended for electric guitar, vocals, strings, horns, acoustic instruments, orchestras, choral groups, and many live-sound applications.
The mic comes with an aluminum flight case, an external power supply, and a 10-foot cable to connect the mic and power supply.
- The natural and musical sound of a classic ribbon mic combined with the consistent sound-quality you get from active electronics
- A low-noise 12AX7 tube amplifier that isolates the ribbon and gain make-up transformer from the outside world, and gives you higher output than a normal ribbon mic
- Ultra-realistic reproduction
- Characteristic large-and-mellow ribbon sound quality with a very smooth top and an extended low end
- Fast and life-like transient reproduction
- Ultra-high SPL capability: 165 dB SPL (1% THD @ 1000 Hz.
- Very high sensitivity for a ribbon microphone, similar to many condenser mics
- The Figure-8 polar pattern offers wide sweet spots both in the front and in the back of the microphone, and rejection on the sides
- A 50 mm long ribbon made of 2 microns thick aluminum foil
- An internal shock mount for the ribbon and magnet assembly
- A removable microphone cable and an aluminum flight case
- Manufactured from the finest materials for great performance and long-term reliability
- Can be used with any standard mixer or preamp, preferably with a balanced input