The Lumix DMC-SZ5 Digital Camera (White) from Panasonic maintains the high performance standards of previous SZ models, but has incorporated Wi-Fi connectivity for a direct camera to smartphone connection. Not only can you immediately share images from your camera through your smart phone or tablet, but you can monitor what your camera sees and control your camera's functions via your smartphone. Once you have installed the free LUMIX LINK application for iOS and Android smartphones, your camera and your smartphone become an integrated system that will allow you to set your camera down in a shooting position and use the smartphone to see what the camera's lens sees. From your smartphone screen you can set focus, zoom in and out, shoot and playback images and tag location information by utilizing the smartphone's GPS log. Of course, you can also immediately share the images you just shot with your Lumix SZ5 through your smartphone and out into your network of friends and family.
Wireless sharing of your image is not just a great social tool, but it also allows you to archive your images in your computer without having to connect with a cable or even take out the camera's memory card. It's little things like this that make a camera great, not to mention convenient, fast and with less chance of loss or damage. And via "Lumix Club", Panasonic's exclusive cloud service, your images can be easily saved and transferred to Facebook, Twitter, Flickr or other sharing sites.
Now that we know how to share great images, let's talk about how the SZ5 takes great images. Although with the Lumix name attached, we know pretty well that great images are a given. The 14.1 MP sensor and Venus Engine processor perform in harmony to create high quality images, both photo and video, and the Sonic Speed Auto Focus in conjunction with the sensor and processor means that speed is at hand and you will not miss an action shot or that perfect smile. High quality images and fast shooting speeds only enhance what has now become a Lumix standard: beautiful, sharp, colorful photos thanks to advanced optical performance. The Leica DC Vario-Elmar lens on the SZ5 provides stunning clarity and the 25-250mm lens runs the full spectrum from true wide-angle to telephoto zoom. Shots of friends around the dinner table and dynamic landscapes as well as 10x close-ups are equally sharp and full of bounce. In addition to the 10x optical zoom, the SZ5 offers a 20x Intelligent Zoom Feature that maintains sharpness while providing ultra zoom capability.
A 3" Intelligent LCD screen displays your images in crisp details so focusing is assured and its High Angle Mode automatically adjusts the LCD's backlight based on the exterior brightness so there is no need for squinting and angling the camera to see what you are shooting.
MEGA O.I.S (Optical Image Stabilization) and Trust iA ensure that even tricky lighting and tough shots are no problem for any level of photographer. Quality images are almost guaranteed with MEGA O.I.S. which compensates for any hand shaking or camera movement when shooting with high zoom or in low light. Trust iA is an Intelligent Auto mode with a host of functions to improve your shooting. Face Detection recognizes when you are shooting portraits or group shots and sets the camera accordingly, Intelligent Scene Selector adjusts the camera's settings to correspond to the type of scene you are shooting and my favorite, AF Tracking, holds the subject in focus as it moves, which is perfect for action shots.
Lastly, the SZ5 offers a creative effects suite which allows you to take creative and fun photos that are perfect to share via the camera's Wi-Fi connection. For example, Panorama Shot allows you to take horizontal and vertical panoramas and Miniature Effect defocuses the sides of your image to make the photo appear like a diorama. In video mode, the Miniature Effect offers a fast-forward style playback which is a hilarious way to share with your network the adventures you come across while shooting with the Lumix SZ5.
- Built-in Wi-Fi Connectivity
- With the Lumix Link app, your SZ5 connects directly and wirelessly to your smartphone or tablet. Camera functions can be controlled through your smartphone and your images are immediately available to view and share.
- Advanced Leica Optics
- The SZ5 houses a superb Leica DC Vario-Elmar lens with a 25-250mm (in 35mm format) focal length range. Sharp images at both wide angle and telephoto are the hallmark of the Lumix cameras and the 10x optical and 20x Intelligent zooms with Intelligent Resolution Technology Sonic Speed AF means that your photos will be in focus even in the most difficult of shooting environments.
- High Quality Imaging
- The 14.1 MP CCD sensor and Venus Engine Processor deliver large, high quality files (ideal for large prints!) with fast processing speeds.
- HD Video Recording
- The LUMIX SZ5 records dynamic HD video in 1280x720 at 30p in MP4*1 format which can be played back directly on a PC or other portable electronic device without the need to convert the file. A dedicated video button allows users to quickly switch between photo mode and video recording.
- LCD Display
- A large 3.0" Intelligent LCD offers High Angle Mode which automatically adjusts the backlight based on the environment's lighting.
- MEGA O.I.S.
- The SZ5 contains an optical image stabilization system which compensates for camera movement to create images without blur. This is especially helpful when shooting telephoto or in low light.
- Trust iA and Creative Effects
- The SZ5 is filled with modes and functions that will assist you when shooting and ones that can allow you to create beautiful and fun images to share. Assistive functions include Face Detection, AF Tracking, Intelligent ISO, Intelligent Scene Selector and Auto Retouch and creative functions like Miniature Effect mode will manipulate your images with style.