EOS-M Mirrorless Digital Camera with EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens - Black from Canon is Canon's first mirrorless digital camera and it rises to the standards of the great Canon name. An 18.0 MP CMOS sensor and Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor ensure high performance and exceptional image quality for both photo and video and ultra-fast focusing is delivered via the Hybrid CMOS AF system. ISO sensitivity ranges from 100-12800 and expands to 25600 for quality details when shooting at high zoom and in low light.
A 3.0" Clear View LCD monitor II offers multi-touch operation including Touch Auto-focus. A 1040K-dot, smudge-resistant coated LCD with Clear View technology means that your display will remain easy to focus, control and view even in bright outdoor conditions. The touch screen operation is designed for intuitive scroll and two-finger navigational control, like a smartphone.
The EOS-M is a complete image capture system providing Full HD (1080p) Movie shooting and a range of resolution and frame rates to expand your creative video-making. Movie Servo AF means continuous, quiet AF tracking on moving subjects for fluid focus transitions. Manual exposure control and a built-in stereo microphone with 64 manual audio level adjustments equal the type of control that can create quality video for upload or HD television viewing. An external microphone jack is included and Video Snapshot, for making short video clips that can be edited together in-camera, is also included.
The EOS-M kit comes with a new EF-M mount 22mm f/2 STM lens. This is a compact "pancake" lens that offers the 35mm equivalent of a 35mm lens. It's an ideal focal length prime lens to start this new system, and it's small enough to carry anywhere. Of course, the best thing about Canon bringing their first mirrorless camera to the market is that the full range of Canon EF and EF-S lenses are now available to use on a compact digital camera system. An optional EF lens adapter is needed to use this great line of Canon lenses but the creative possibilities are endless.
The EOS-M Mirrorless is a camera for every level of photographer and there will be no shortage of pro shooters interested in testing out their Canon lenses on this important new camera, but the amateur and even beginner should feel comfortable knowing that they too are part of this new day. Scene Intelligent Auto is the most intuitive automatic camera mode available from Canon and provides complete scene analysis and optimized settings. As they say, it lets the camera do the work. Scene Intelligent Auto is particularly helpful when shooting with tricky light and Handheld Night Scene mode is ideal for night shooting. Combined with Multi Shot Noise Reduction, which preserves details when shooting at high ISO speeds, low-light photography is a joy with the EOS-M. HDR Backlight Control mode is also a wonderful assistive feature for shooting in high contrast lighting. The camera shoots the same image three times simultaneously in different exposures and combines them to create one properly balanced, dynamic photo.
Add numerous creative functions and seven filter options to this package and the EOS-M provides the total spectrum of shooting possibilities from beginner auto to pro control. This is a high image-quality, quiet, compact mirrorless Canon camera with a fast lens included and the full range of compatible Canon lenses available. We have been waiting, now we are ready. Let's go shoot!
- Sensor and Image Processor
- High resolution 18.0 MP CMOS APS-C (1.6x crop factor) sensor and high performance DIGIC 5 image processor equal fast functional response, exceptional image quality and sharp detail in both photo and video.
- Full HD (1080p) Movie
- The EOS-M offers Full HD (1080p) Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for continuous focus tracking of moving subjects, manual exposure control, multiple resolution and frame rates, built-in stereo microphone with a wind filter, manual audio level adjustment, and Video Snapshot with editing. Combined with STM lenses, such as the included 22mm f/2 STM lens, the Movie Servo AF provides smooth, silent auto-focus function, a great benefit when shooting video. The camera automatically splits files larger than 4GB for extended, uninterrupted recording and offers a jack for compatible external microphones. The file format for shooting video on the EOS-M is MOV with H.264 compression standard. Video can be recorded in Full HD, HD and SD and at Full HD the possible frames rates are 30, 24 and 25 frames per second. Auto exposure and manual exposure control are both possibe on video as well as photo capture.
- ISO Sensitivity
- Normal ISO sensitivity on the EOS-M ranges from 100-12800 but expands in High Sensitivity Mode to 25600 for faster shutter speeds and sharper details in low light.
- Hybrid CMOS Auto-focus
- Hybrid CMOS AF uses a combination of both Contrast AF, which utilizes the CMOS sensor, and Phase Difference Auto-focus to increase accuracy and auto-focus speed in both photo and video.
- Touch Screen LCD with Touch AF
- Thanks to a new construction between the its resin-coated cover and the liquid crystal display, the 3.0" Clear View LCD monitor keeps glare to a minimum and makes it easy to see your images even in bright light. The 1,040,000-dot resolution is ideal for playback and focusing and the smudge-resistant coating on the LCD preserves the luminosity after multiple touches. Numerous camera operations can be handled by the touch screen including Auto-focus control, whereby you touch the LCD screen on the part of the image you want in focus. Two-finger (multi-touch) control allows you to zoom, scroll images and navigate the menus as you would with a smartphone.
- Lens Compatibility
- At this point, Canon has introduced two M series lenses including the 22mm f/2 STM lens that is included in this kit, but the new EF-M mount on the EOS-M camera is able to use any of the huge family of Canon EF and EF-S lenses. The EF-EOS Mount Adapter will be necessary, but this opens up the EOS-M's range of creative possibilities to... endless!
- Noise Reduction
- Multi Shot Noise Reduction provides outstanding noise reduction while preserving fine detail in photos at high ISO speeds. With MSNR activated, the camera takes four consecutive shots of the same image, then merges and aligns them, reducing noise and blur.
- Continuous Shooting and Burst Rate
- For still photography, the EOS-M can shoot up to 4.3 frames per second for up to 15 shots utilizing an SD card in JPEG. With a UHS-I card that number lifts to 17 shots at 4.3fps. For video, the continuous shooting time in Full HD based on a 16GB memory card is 44 minutes.
- Advanced Imaging Features
- Handheld Night Scene and High Dynamic Range are assistive functions that allow all levels of photographers to take advantage of digital advancements to improve their shooting results. HDR, for example, shoots three images of the exact same image simultaneously in various exposures and combines the three into one perfectly balanced photo. This is ideal when shooting images that have both shadow and bright light and those whose subject is lit from behind. The EOS-M also offers seven Creative Filters to enhance your images, including Toy Camera Effect and Art Bold Effect, which makes your photo look like an oil painting.
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode
- Scene Intelligent Auto mode optimizes all of the camera's auto controls to provide the best settings based on the camera's reading of the scene. You compose the shot, the camera does the rest.
- The EOS M Mirrorless Digital Camera uses popular SD, SDHC, SDXC memory cards and is even compatible with the newest Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) memory cards.
- Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens
- The EOS-M kit comes with one of Canon's first M-mount lenses, the 22mm (35mm equiv = 35.2mm) f/2 STM lens. It is a moderate wide-angle prime lens equivalent to a 35mm lens on a full-frame (35mm) camera. It is ultra-slim, befitting the mirrorless camera it is to be attached to and lightweight. The f/2 aperture means lots of light enters your camera and fast shutter speeds are possible even in lower light and the minimum focusing distance of 5.9" (O.15m). It houses one aspheric lens element and a 7-blade circular aperture which can deliver soft backgrounds and beautiful bokeh. It is an STM lens which stands for stepping motor and this provides a smooth, silent autofocus when used with the EOS-M's Movie Servo AF. Silent auto-focus is all-around great, but particularly useful when shooting video so that the sound of the AF does not interfere with the audio you are recording.