The Echo Express SE Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis from Sonnet enables you to use a high-performance PCIe adapter card (sold separately) with any computer that has a Thunderbolt port. The Thunderbolt technology enables you to connect a high-performance PCIe expansion card to computers without expansion slots.Thunderbolt technology supports high-performance data services and high-resolution displays through a single, compact port. Based on PCIe and DisplayPort technologies, Thunderbolt provides support for two channels on the same connector with 10 Gbps of throughput per channel in both directions. Connected via a Thunderbolt cable (sold separately), the Echo Express SE Expansion Chassis carries the computer's PCIe channel to the slot and passes both PCIe and DisplayPort data through a second Thunderbolt port for daisy chaining other devices. The Echo Express SE Expansion Chassis is compact, lightweight and perfect for use when the installed PCIe card doesn't require much space or power. It has a single slot, but uses a smaller enclosure that accommodates a half-length, up to 6.6" (16.76 cm) long, full-height, single-width, x8 PCIe 2.0 card. Constructed of aluminum, the Echo Express SE Expansion Chassis's outer shell keeps transfer heat away from the card and securely protects it inside. The enclosure is ventilated front and back and a quiet, temperature-controlled fan (with no switches or jumpers to configure) automatically helps keep even the hottest cards cool. When not in use, the fan slows down to a whisper. This allows you to work without much noise in the background. Furthermore, the Echo Express SE Expansion Chassis is environment friendly, automatically powering on and off with your computer. The Echo Express SE Expansion Chassis supports daisy chaining of additional Thunderbolt technology-enabled peripherals such as an additional Echo Express SE Expansion Chassis, the Apple Thunderbolt Display, video capture devices and data storage devices. For connected devices requiring bus power, 10 W is provided through the daisy chain Thunderbolt port to peripherals.
- The Echo Express SE Expansion Chassis adds an expansion card slot to any computer having a Thunderbolt port.
- It supports a single, half-length, up to 6.6" (16.76 cm) long, full-height, single-width, x8, PCIe 2.0 card.
- With Thunderbolt's PCIe performance and 10 Gbps of throughput on each of the two channels in both directions, the Echo Express SE Expansion Chassis is perfect for use in special-purpose PCIe cards for video capture, audio interface, 8 Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, digital audio, RAID control and more.
- Two Thunderbolt ports allow daisy chaining of up to six devices to a single port on the host computer.
- A temperature-controlled fan automatically operates slowly and quietly with cooler cards and provides better cooling for hot cards.
- Its energy saver mode enables powering on/off automatically with the computer.
- Aluminum housing provides portable protection for any environment.