The iDC SYSTEM ZERO XL2 Follow-Focus for Canon 5D MarkIII is an affordable and versatile follow-focus system designed to lend cinema-like focus control to your DSLR videos. The system's gearless design means that, unlike most other DSLR follow-focus units, this one doesn't require the purchase of dedicated gears to match each lens you use. An adjustable focus wheel attaches to one of seven dovetail slots on the sliding focusing plate, which in turn mounts to the dedicated base plate beneath the camera.
The base plate, designed expressly for the Canon 5D MkIII, can use any standard quick-release assembly for mounting onto a rig or tripod. It also accommodates iDC's adapted Hoodman loupe or a Zacuto Z-Finder, if you need to use a larger viewfinder for even more precise focus. When not in use, the focusing wheel can be slid away from the lens and locked in place, or the combined baseplate/focusing plate/wheel can be removed as one piece (using an allen wrench) for easy switching between video and stills shooting.
This XL2 version works with most wide to mid-range telephoto lenses (see Compatibility specs), with a second wheel assembly included for use with the zoom ring on Canon's 70-200mm zoom lens. For smaller prime and telephoto lenses, the Standard kit--with its shorter focusing plate--may be more suitable.
- Completely gearless follow-focus is designed for accurate and smooth focus acquisition.
- Accepts multiple LCD loupes including the iDC quick-release adapted Hoodman HoodLoupe 3.0, the Zacuto Z-Finder Pro, LCDVF, and other direct-to-LCD mount-style viewfinders.
- The SYSTEM ZERO Camera Plate accepts the Zacuto Z-Finder Pro (not included) when the Z-Finder is equipped with a Zacuto Mounting Frame (not included). The iDC Camera Plate replaces the Zacuto Gorilla Plate in this instance.
- Seven dovetail slots on the focusing plate provide focus wheel positioning for a wide variety of lenses from wide to telephoto.
- The sliding focusing plate design allows quick micro-adjustments of the focusing plate for lenses that fall in between the four provided slots.
- The slots' dovetail feature captures the wheel assembly for easy fitment.
- Focusing wheel accepts white graphic tape for making pre-focus marks.
- The focusing wheel port accepts industry standard Arri-style follow-focus whips and cranks.
- The system's included O-Ring is very tough, but if your favorite pet happens to get ahold of one, they're user replaceable.
- Optional spacer elevates the camera for better access to the thumbscrew while using tripod and monopod adapter plates. It also helps the balance when nose-heavy camera and lens combinations are used. Spacer offers 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 mounting holes for adapter plates.
- Machined from high quality, aircraft-grade aluminum and finished with soft edges for sleek looks and handheld comfort.
- Each camera-specific camera plate offers pin registration for accurate fitment.
- SYSTEM ZERO is designed to be modularly compatible with iDC's SYSTEM ONE products. It can also be mounted to any shoulder rig that attaches by way of a 1/4"-20 fastener, or mounted to any adapter plate by way of either a 1/4"-20 or 3/8"-16 fastener.
- Compatible with the iDC quick-release U-Boat with or without the SYSTEM ZERO spacer.
- Differences in the build of each dedicated camera plate allow for the correct use of the product. Therefore a camera-specific plate is the only additional part needed to mount different camera bodies to the iDC SYSTEM ZERO Follow-Focus Kit.