The SYSTEM ZERO Follow-Focus XL1 Combo for Nikon D800 from iDC Photo Video is a follow-focus kit that includes a top handle and tripod spacer that mounts as one unit onto a tripod.
The kit is for the D800 because the camera plate is D800-specific. "XL1" means that the included focusing plate is the XL1 version with seven dovetail slots and a lens brace, as opposed to the shorter "standard" version with four slots and no brace. The difference between the two is that the longer XL plate can support longer telephoto lenses.
The focusing plate's dovetail slots are the connection points for the kit's components.
The focus wheel assembly slides into one of the four slots of the focusing plate and tightens into place with a thumbscrew underneath the plate. The focus wheel is equipped with a replaceable, soft yet tough O-ring that presses against a lens and adjusts focus when the wheel is turned. The assembly has no gearbox and does not need lens gears making lens changes faster and easier. The kit is compatible with a long list of lenses (see Specifications tab) because the focusing plate has a fore and aft micro-adjustment for perfect alignment of the correct slot.
The accessory mounting bracket also slides into one of the focusing plate's dovetails and tightens by a thumbscrew. A grip handle and a tall cold shoe are attached to the top of the bracket, and together they provide a handle and a mount for accessories such as a shotgun mic or fill light. The shoe features a pin registration hole for Speedlites with locking pins. On the side of the bracket is another cold shoe and a quick-release clamp that accepts Arca-Swiss type plates. The bracket has many other mounting holes for the accessory mounts to be repositioned or for additional mounts to be attached.
Fastened to the bottom of the focusing plate is a spacer that allows the kit to be mounted onto a tripod quick-release plate. It provides one inch of clearance between the focusing plate and the tripod plate providing access to the thumbscrews. The spacer also allows the kit to be moved along a quick-release plate so it can be positioned to best distribute the weight on a tripod or monopod.
Lastly, the camera plate is also useful for adding viewfinders to the D800. Two quick-release thumbscrews on the camera plate can hold the iDC-modified Hoodman Loupe or a Zacuto Zfinder Pro.
- Components attach to a D800 as one unit.
- D800-specific camera plate.
- Follow-focus assembly has no gearbox and requires no lens gears.
- Four dovetail-slot focusing plate serves as a quick-release for components.
- Spacer mounts the kit to an optional tripod quick-release plate.
- Accessory bracket can mount shotgun mics, lights, and other accessories.
- An iDC Loupe or Zacuto viewfinder can be attached via thumbscrews.
- Slides and attaches into any of the four slots.
- Focus wheel is equipped with an O-Ring for adjusting focus.
- Gearless design lets lenses conveniently and quickly be swapped.
- Four-slot focusing plate and micro adjustment affords broad lens compatibility.
Accessory Mounting Bracket
- Features a grip handle, two shoes, and a quick-release clamp.
- Shoes each have a pin registration hole for Speedlites with locking pins.
- Clamp accepts dovetailed adapter plates that conform to Arca-Swiss dimensions.
- Bracket has many holes for relocating and adding additional accessory mounts.