The microKEY25 from Korg is a slim, lightweight (1.43 lb), 25-Key USB powered controller with tap tempo, arpeggiator, sustain and velocity-sensitive "Natural Touch" mini-keys. It is USB powered by connecting to your computer or iPad. It has been designed to maximize playability while still integrating into a compact production setup.
The microKEY25 is equipped with an expressive joystick that allows you to transmit pitch bend, modulation and control change commands to enhance your MIDI performances. When the arpeggiator is on, the functionality of the joystick changes, now allowing you to switch between the 3 different arpeggio types (up, trigger, and down), control the duration of the arpeggiated notes, and engage the latch function to continue play of an arpeggio even after you take your hand off the keyboard.
There is a Sustain/Tap button for adding sustain your performances as a sustain pedal would. When the arpeggiator is on, this control becomes a tap button that allows you to set the tempo of the arpeggio by pressing this button several times at the desired interval. The Key Transpose feature allows you to transpose the pitch of the keyboard up or down in semitone steps. Octave Shift buttons let you extend the note range of the keyboard by 4 octaves in either direction.
Edits to advanced MIDI parameters, such as the joystick control change number assignments and the keyboard's velocity curve can be made using the KORG KONTROL Editor software, available for free download on the Korg website. This can be useful in customizing the microKEY to give you greater control over a virtual instrument, or to accommodate harder or softer keyboard playing styles.
The controller also includes 5 virtual instruments: EzDrummer Lite, Lounge Lizard Session, Strum Acoustic Session, Ultra Analog Session and M1 Le.
- Thin, lightweight, and USB-powered by your computer or iPad
- 25-key, velocity-sensitive "Natural Touch" mini-keyboard designed for comfortable playing feel
- Expressive joystick transmits pitch bend, modulation and control change commands
- Arpeggiator function with 3 different types - up, trigger, and down. When the arpeggiator is on, the joystick will allow you to switch between the 3 different arpeggio types, control the duration of the arpeggiated notes, and engage the latch function to continue play of an arpeggio even after you take your hand off the keyboard
- Sustain/Tap button can add sustain to notes as a sustain pedal would. When the arpeggiator is on, this becomes a tap button that allows you to set the tempo of the arpeggio by pressing this button several times at the desired interval
- Octave Shift and Key Transpose features allow access to the full MIDI note range
- Joystick and sustain/tap button command settings can be edited using the Korg Kontrol Editor from the Korg website
5 Virtual Instruments Included
- Toontrack's drum sound module "EzDrummer Lite", gives you a library of realistic drum sounds (download)
- "Lounge Lizard Session," the sound module from Applied Acoustics Systems, provides expressive electric piano sounds
- Applied Acoustics Systems' "Strum Acoustic Session," the physical modeling software synthesizer that lets you "play" acoustic guitar parts with the expressiveness of an acoustic instrument
- "Ultra Analog Session", also by Applied Acoustics Systems, is an analog modeling synthesizer featuring analog-style synth sounds
- "M1 Le" software synthesizer that brings the sounds of the M1 music workstation to your computer
KORG KONTROL Editor
- KORG KONTROL Editor MIDI mapping software allows you to set the keyboard to respond to one of 8 distinct velocity curves, or set a fixed velocity value. This is useful in customizing the microKEY to your personal playing style. In addition, the joystick's control change number assignment can be edited and its range can be customized by setting minimum and maximum values. This can be used to control specific parameters of a virtual instrument, or to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the joystick