The NEX-EA50UH Camcorder with 18-200mm Servo Zoom Lens initiates Sony's new EA Series of camcorders designed for cinematic event videography. The camera comes with an 18-200mm servo zoom lens, the first E-mount lens with servo zoom. NEX-EA50 features a new Exmor APS-C CMOS sensor and delivers Full HD 1080p at 24, 25, 30, 50 and 60 frames per second. The optional Flash Memory Unit (FMU) provides instant back up recording, however it is not included and must be purchased separately.
The popularity of HDSLRs among videographers can be credited to their filmic video quality, thanks to their large image sensors, and the prospect of professional grade HD video and still photographs, all within one camera body. The NEX-EA50UH was designed with this in mind and it improves on the concept by combining an APS-C sensor, E-mount lenses and DSLR quality still photographs with a camcorder form factor, servo zoom lenses, timecode and professional audio recording capabilities. It also has some truly groundbreaking features that videographers could only dream about before now.
- 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Servo Zoom Lens
- This is not your average kit lens. It's the first E-mount lens with servo zoom. The 18-200mm also features a quiet auto focus motor for clean audio recordings, four aspherical lens elements, and circular iris blades for pleasing bokeh.
- Lossless Digital Zoom
- To accommodate Sony's first E-mount lens with servo zoom, the NEX-EA50UH sports a rocker-style zoom lever. The rocker zoom is a familiar feature for long-time camcorder users, but those who are familiar with interchangeable lens systems may wonder, what good is a zoom lever if you are using a prime lens or a manual zoom? Sony's answer to that question is a lossless digital zoom. The effect is achieved by cropping the image sensor in real-time, which changes the angle-of-view with no sacrifice in resolution.
- Storage Options
- Secure Digital memory cards offer professional grade read/write speeds and dependability at previously unheard of prices. The NEX-EA50UH supports both SD and Sony Memory Stick formats. However, it also features an FMU slot for connecting Sony's HXR-FMU128, a flash memory unit with a capacity of 128 GB. The NEX-EA50UH can record simultaneously to SD/MS and an HXR-FMU128, creating an instant back-up.
- Still Photographs
- NEX-EA50UH is serious about photography. Not only would its 16MP APS-C CMOS sensor be right at home in the body of a DSLR, NEX-EA50UH also features a dedicated shutter release button, a mechanical shutter to eliminate rolling shutter artifacts, and a hot shoe for using traditional flash units.
- Unique Design Features
- The NEX-EA50UH may be a somewhat eccentric looking mutt, but the design grows on you. It is particularly handsome with the viewfinder diopter tube, a shotgun microphone, and the 18-200mm servo zoom lens attached. Another nice design attribute is the shoulder pad, which slides backwards to accommodate a comfortable shoulder-mounted position.