The Lumix DMC-G5 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Black) from Panasonic is a recent addition to the Lumix line of Digital Single Lens Mirrorless (DSLM) cameras and brings with it a host of improvements as well as the Lumix commitment to quality design and optics. A compact design with built-in flash and ergonomically organized controls, the G5 offers powerful photo and video performance resulting in high resolution, sharp details and accurate color production. If you're interested in "going mirrorless", this is the camera for you. In addition, the Lumix G5 is compatible with the full line of Lumix G series lenses.
A redesigned Venus Engine image processor and newly integrated 16.05 MP Live MOS sensor increase performance speed, improve Auto-focus and render crisp and detailed images in both photo and video. The Venus Engine has improved its already advanced signal processing capabilities and with 3DNR and Multi-process NR can detect bright areas as well as smooth areas or edges within in an image and apply a multi-step noise reduction to further increase the sharpness of your photo. The newly developed sensor translates into better high-ISO performance (ISO setting now ranges to 12,800), improved continuous shooting speed and a higher resolution LCD.
In all Lumix G series cameras, the image sensor controls the auto focus. Called Contrast AF, it substantially improves focus accuracy, especially at brighter, smaller f-stops. The G5 has incorporated full-area Touch AF, making it possible to focus on any point within the field of view with just a touch of the LCD screen and Light Speed AF, in which focus stays locked on a moving subject. Combine these two elements with a burst rate of 6 frames per second (in full resolution!) and the G5 can shoot fast-moving objects, whether it be a flying bird or a fading smile, with DSLR-like accuracy. The lag time from shot to LCD output has also been minimized on the G5, so monitoring fast moving subjects is better than ever. High Dynamic Range has been integrated on the G5 and will shoot several identical photos simultaneously in order to overlay them and create one perfectly balanced photo.
The Live View Finder (LVF) on the Lumix G5 takes the standard view finder to another dimension. The adjustable eye sensor on the LVF senses the presence of an eye and switches the image output from the LCD screen to the eye piece. It also begins to Auto-focus as soon as it senses an eye, which can save you valuable microseconds when that is all you have to get the shot you want. The LVF is a large, bright 1,440,000-dot view finder with approximately 100% field of view, while the LCD display is a full 920,000-dot high resolution screen with wide-viewing angle and also offers 100% field of view. In addition, the LCD offers touch screen operation for basic shooting and playback including focus and shutter release and rotates 180º to the side and 270º up and down for easier image composition. Most impressive is that with Touch pad function, both the LCD and LVF can be on at the same time for more intuitive shooting.
A simple but welcomed advancement on the G5 is the Electronic Shutter mode which allows silent shutter operation for a totally silent capture. The G5 has also updated its physical design to be more ergonomically friendly. The new function lever near the shutter release button can control zoom with some lenses, aperture in manual mode and can magnify images in playback. More so, in combination with the camera's rear dial it can adjust all major shooting settings. This is a huge design improvement that will help all shooters focus on the essentials as opposed to searching for the right button to push.
Of course, the Lumix G5 also produces Full HD 1080 60p video and the improvements in sensor and image processing have pay-off for video quality as well. Also, the G5 has added the MP4 video format as a more playback compatible option to go with its standard AVCHD format. Touch AF in video mode allows selective focusing adjustment during shooting and Tracking AF keeps focus on a subject while it moves. A dedicated video button is the only button needed to start shooting video and while shooting video, a simple touch of the shutter release allows for photos to be taken during video capture.
Despite its high performance capability, the G5 also hosts an array of beginner friendly scene guides which allow the user to choose a pre-fabricated scene closest to the one they'd like to shoot and the camera will adjust its settings to accommodate that scene. Now with fourteen Creative Control Mode filters including Soft Focus, One Point Color and Miniature Effect, the G5 can recommend filters that will enhance your photography. These assistive controls are in addition to the Lumix iA (Intelligent Auto) which will integrate all of its assist functions into one setting and let the camera do all the work. Sometimes that's the best way to get the photo you need.
- New Advanced Image Processor
- A redesigned Venus Engine features exceptionally advanced signal processing capabilities, producing clear, crisp images in both photo and video recording. The 3DNR detects smooth areas or edges in photos and adjusts the strength of noise reduction (stronger for smooth portion, milder for edge portion) to maintain object descriptiveness. The Multi-process NR quickly detects brightness in each part of a picture and applies optimal noise reduction in multiple steps. The newly incorporated HDR (High Dynamic Range) allows for several pictures consecutively shot at different exposure levels to be overlaid, producing a single composite picture to eliminate over-exposure or under-exposure.
- LCD Display
- A large, 920,000-dot high resolution LCD screen with wide-viewing angle rotates 180º to the side, tilts 270º up and down and offers approximately 100% field of view. Touch screen operation on the LCD screen allows for simple shooting or playback of images and the new Touch Pad function enables the use of both LVF and LCD simultaneously. Lag time of image output has been minimized by approximately 18% compared to the LUMIX G5's predecessor, the LUMIX G3, making it easier to monitor fast-moving subjects.
- High Resolution Live View Finder with Eye Sensor
- The LUMIX G5's large, bright 1,440,000-dot equivalent LVF (Live View Finder) retains outstanding viewability and features approximately 100% field of view. Suppressing color breakup, the LVF assure stunning image view for any subject or scene. The LVF is newly designed to integrate an eye sensor for the LUMIX G5, which allows image output between the LVF and LCD screen to be switched automatically with the eye sensor on the LVF (which features optional sensitivity of high, low and off). Additionally Eye Sensor AF (Auto Focus) automatically starts focusing when the photographer looks into the EVF to capture spur-of-the-moment shooting opportunities.
- Auto-focus is controlled by the sensor, increasing focus accuracy especially with wide apertures. Touch AF makes it possible to set focus on any point in the field of view and Light speed AF locks focus on a fast-moving subject.
- Full HD 1080 60p Video
- The Lumix G5 offers the ability to record high-resolution full-HD 1920 x 1080 60p videos in AVCHD Progressive (MPEG-4) or MP4 format. Subjects with fast motion and fine details are reproduced clearly. In addition to practical full-time AF, the Touch AF in video recording allows the focus to be shifted while shooting video. Video recording begins instantly with the push of one dedicated button and still photos can be taken during video shooting with just a push of the shutter release.
- Stereo Microphone
- The integrated zoom microphone with Dolby Digital Stereo Creator enables you to record stereo sound to accompany your HD video. The DMC-G5 lets you adjust the audio input level in four steps. Additionally, the Auto Wind Cut function blocks out most of the noise from background wind, ensuring that the audio you want to record is captured clearly
- Ergonomics and Function Lever
- A new function lever conveniently located near the shutter release allows for direct adjustment of zoom, exposure or aperture control and can be used to magnify images in playback mode and page flip in menu mode. Additionally, using the function lever and rear dial in combination allows users to adjust major shooting settings.
- Silent Electronic Shutter
- The newly added Electronic Shutter mode allows silent operation which is helpful in areas where silence is needed.
- Beginner Friendly Scene Guides, Creative Control Mode and iA
- The Lumix G5 offers 23 sample professional photos which the user can choose from in order to match the shot they would like to take. Once chosen, the camera will adjust its settings accordingly and your resulting photo will look as good as the pro's. The sample image can be touch-dragged onto the LCD in order to view the sample and have your photo match its settings. The Lumix series iA (Intelligent Auto) integrates all of the cameras assistive functions to create the perfectly balanced images you compose.
- Adjustable Filters
- Creative Control Mode has been upgraded in the Lumix G5 with an increase of filter options from six options to 14, adding Soft Focus, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, One Point Color, Cross Process, Low Key, Toy Effect and Star Filter, in addition to the conventional Expressive, Retro, High Key, Sepia, Hi Dynamic, Miniature Effect modes. With the new GUI menu tab, switching filter effects is seamless. A preview of filter effects can be seen on the large LCD screen via Live View mode and the camera intuitively recommends filters depending on the scene that the camera detects in iA (Intelligent Auto) or iA Plus mode
- Compatible with Full Line of Lumix Lenses
- The full line of high-grade Lumix lenses combines with the precision AF (Auto Focus) of the Lumix G5 to achieve an optimal balance of resolution and noise reduction to produce lifelike image rendering and high precision auto exposure and white balance for faithful color reproduction.
- English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Russian, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Dutch, Thai, Korean, Turkish, Portuguese, Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Vietnamese are all supported on the camera's menu.