The ikan D5w 5.6" Camera Monitor with Panasonic D54 Battery Plate is a trendy and efficient monitor with SDI and HDMI connections, with a hi-def screen, and with a comprehensive set of software features. The software features include the advanced and not-so-common Waveform, RGB Parade, and Vectorscope. The purpose of these features, and of the rest of the software features, is to help you fine-tune factors like exposure and focus before you shoot your scene. In relation, the monitor's hi-def screen, at 1280 x 800 pixels, also not-so-common, is optimal for displaying and making use of these features.
The monitor weighs only about a half-a-pound and is about an inch thick, and its outer body has a rubberized texture. All the buttons are away from clear view, most located at the top corners, more towards the back panel than the front. Three of these buttons are assignable. Another button, an "EXIT" button, along with a rotary wheel control the monitor's menu. And an "INPUT" button selects between the SDI and HDMI inputs.
The monitor comes with a Panasonic D54 battery plate, which is at any point optionally interchangeable for a different plate. Compact and full-featured, the D5w is great for precision shooting, whether in videography or filmmaking.
- HD Resolution
- Although the D5w has a 5.6-inch screen, with 1280 X 800 HD resolution what you see is what you get! The D5w outputs crisp, clear shots on the field, meaning less time in the editing room.
- Small Lightweight Design
- The D5w weighs 0.6 lbs, making it the ideal field monitor for the video professional. You won't have to worry about your handheld rigs being weighed down. Also, the D5w's compact size and efficient design makes it effortless to pack and carry.
- This essential feature assists with the calibration of professional video cameras. It shows the overall brightness of the image assisting the video professional in correcting exposure. The waveform feature also checks the evenness of the lighting when lighting a chromakey or background.
- The D5w uses vectorscope to help set and verify skin tones and monitor white balance. The vectorscope function also verifies and checks the overall tint and hue of an image.
- RGB Parade
- The RGB parade splits the image into separate red, green, and blue channels and shows you the color values for each. RGB Parade is fundamental in balancing out the shadow region when leveling a shot. Furthermore, this feature helps the video professional to instantly see what color cast might be in an image; thus, making it extremely helpful when verifying the white balance.
- The D5w is equipped with both Monochrome and Color Peaking features, which highlight the desired focus area in a bright, RED outline. The operator adjusts the focus control until the RED indicator outlines on the desired area are razor sharp, indicating optimal focus. For the best results, be sure the subject is properly exposed.
- False Color
- The False Color feature utilizes a full spectrum of assigned color indicators, ensuring flawless shot exposure. The under/ over luminance warning enables the video professional to get the quality he/ she desires every time. By adjusting the camera's Iris, the subject of the image will change color based on specific brightness values indicating optimal exposure.
- DSLR Scaling
- The DSLR Scaling function enables users to extend their DSLR camera's HDMI video output to any option of four: Normal, 3:2, 16:9 or Full Screen - convenience made simple.
- Movable Pixel-to-Pixel
- The D5w's 1:1 pixel-to-pixel mapping allows the video professional to emphasize on individual chosen elements in the shot. This feature is essential for capturing optimum detail.
- Clip Guides
- The D5w offers adjustable upper Clip Guide levels to accurately display overexposed images in any shooting condition. The operator simply assigns the upper IRE to their preference and any exposure over the set IRE limit will flash in a vivid purple, indicating only the over exposed area.