The aqua blue VT-12 from Roland is a convenient "pocket vocal coach" that when sung into, tracks your pitch and displays it in real-time in half-step increments using an easy-to-see illuminated pitch meter. The meter responds quickly and accurately and brightens as you approach the correct pitch and darkens as you move further away. A guide tone with a 24 semitones range can be used for personal practice, or used by vocal teachers to show their students when they're singing the correct pitch.
You can practice with a teacher or a fellow singer, and the trainer will detect the two voices while displaying their note names. Choir members or a cappella groups can use the VT-12 to visually check for correct harmonies. A built-in metronome is a great tool for sharpening timing skills, with either manual tempo input or by using the real-time tap tempo feature. The tuner feature works at the same time as the metronome.
Included with the VT-12 is a book developed by Berklee Press, with accompanying audio tracks that together teach physical stretches, breath control, vocal care tips, and more. Audio warm-ups include slides, descending fifth runs, and others, along with built-in practice songs with guide vocals and backing tracks in a variety of genres. Minus-one backing tracks, as well as two- and three-part harmony exercises allow for muting selected tracks for practice.
When you play the onboard warm-ups and songs, the VT-12 automatically records your voice. To listen back, press the REVIEW button. You can also use the Review feature in conjunction with the metronome to check your timing ("Review" recordings cannot be saved). An external recording feature lets you integrate other devices such as MP3 or CD players, allowing voice teachers and students to add their own content. Ten memory locations are provided, with up to 10 minutes of recording time for each location.
- Visually check your pitch in half-step increments with the illuminated pitch meter
- Detects two singers simultaneously for two-part harmony training in equal temperament and just intonation
- Onboard audio exercises with guide vocals and backing tracks, plus a companion book from Berklee Press
- For warm-ups and basic-level exercises, the pitch meter displays your pitch against the internal guide vocal for comparison
- Concone Op. 9 Fifty Lessons classical voice exercises with piano accompaniment and melody guide tracks - unit displays the pitch of the guide melody and your pitch simultaneously
- Review function for instant playback to hear your performance
- REC IN jack (stereo mini) for recording songs and other lesson content
- Attachable template for teaching and practicing in the solfége format with moveable "Do"
- Metronome with tap tempo
- Built-in tilt-stand for desktop use
- Runs on two AA-size batteries (alkaline or Ni-MH rechargeable)