The V-LUX 4 Digital Camera from Leica is an advanced point-and-shoot camera with a newly developed CMOS sensor and a fast 24x optical zoom lens with f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range. It brings to the table high resolution, fast and reliable performance and the quality of the Leica name.
First and foremost, the V-LUX 4 boasts a newly designed Leica DC Vario-Elmarit lens with a 24x optical zoom which allows it to traverse the range of focal lengths from 25-600mm in the 35mm format. That huge range of focal lengths takes you from true wide angle to ultra telephoto and incorporates almost any type of shot you can imagine. More so, its fast aperture of f/2.8 throughout the zoom is equal to that of any professional grade interchangeable zoom lens. You can confidently shoot in low light and with long focal lengths knowing that faster shutter speeds will keep your images sharp. And the integrated optical image stabilizer will further reduce blur and the effects of camera shake on telephoto and low-light shots.
An impressive lens like the Leica 25-600mm f/2.8 deserves a sensor to match and the V-LUX 4 abides. A new 12.1MP CMOS sensor delivers exceptional image quality and fast autofocus. An increased ISO sensitivity range up to 6400 provides low-noise imagery in limited light and you can expect sharp details and saturated colors when shooting fast moving subjects in telephoto lengths.
High image quality is true of video as well as still photography and the V-LUX 4 shoots Full HD 1080 AVCHD video at up to 60 frames per second. Fast moving action, such as sporting events, is captured in crisp detail and the full range of 24x zoom is available while shooting. Also, a one-touch dedicated button can switch you from video to photo and back again in an instant. Added convenience comes in the form of MP4 video capture as an alternative to the higher quality AVCHD. Save your videos in MP4 and you're able to directly upload them to the internet without conversion. A built-in stereo microphone with wind filter allows for quality audio to match your video.
For image composition the V-LUX 4 provides two options, an integrated high resolution (1.3 million pixels) electronic view finder and a 3.0" LCD screen. The view finder offers 100% image view and ultra sharp details for fine focusing, it also displays all the menu settings and capture options. The LCD, which provides superb playback, can tilt and rotate for composing from low-angles, from overhead or in a manner more discreet than bringing the camera to your eye.
Fast performance is also part of the V-LUX 4 package. It starts up in less than one second and can autofocus in less than a tenth of a second. Its burst rate is as fast as 12 frames per second in full resolution when you need to capture that one perfect shot amidst a flurry of activity. And the V-LUX 4 saves its images in both JPG and RAW so that you have more options for creative control in post processing.
- Newly Developed Fast DC Vario-Elmarit 24x Super Zoom Lens
- The new high-performance DC Vario-Elmarit super zoom f/2.8 lens has an enormous range of focal lengths from 25mm wide-angle to 600mm super telephoto. Equally impressive is its constant lens speed of f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range. Thanks to this fast aperture and an integrated image stabilizer, it is possible to use shorter shutter speeds and avoid the effects of camera shake when shooting handheld. This means that sharp pictures of objects at long distances are possible even in poor light. The lens offers a 52mm filter thread for use of various lens filters.
- Low-noise 1/2.3" 12.1MP CMOS Sensor
- The 12MP CMOS image sensor of the Leica V-LUX 4 offers exceptional image quality. The camera delivers quality pictures in any light and at ISO settings as high as 6400. With its high dynamic range and saturated colors, the V-LUX 4 produces outstanding still pictures and videos alike. It can also capture fast moving subjects in sharp focus.
- High-resolution Integrated EVF with 1.3 million Pixels
The newly developed Electronic View Finder has a significantly higher resolution than its predecessor, the V-LUX 3. It guarantees a perfect assessment of subject composition, showing 100% of the image frame and displays all the relevant camera information and settings. Thanks to its magnification function, users can zoom in on details of their subjects, while a dioptre compensation setting makes it ideal for use by spectacle wearers.
- 3.0" Tilt-and-Rotate LCD
- The 3.0" tilt-and-rotate LCD allows users to take snapshots in any direction, even overhead or from low-angles. Self-portraits or macros close to the ground are no challenge for this highly flexible display.
- Full HD 1080p AVCHD and MP4 video capture
- The V-LUX 4 captures Full HD 1080p video in AVCHD format and at 60 full frames per second. Thanks to the new sensor and its ability to capture faster frame rates, even fast-moving subjects are captured and reproduced in outstanding detail. Zooming during video capture is supported over the entire 24x zoom range and toggling between photo and video is possible with just a touch of a button. Videos can also be saved in the Internet-friendly MP4 format and be uploaded directly from your computer to social media or mobile devices without any need for conversion. An integrated stereo microphone with a built-in wind-noise filter ensures outstanding audio quality too.
- 360º Panorama
- The V-LUX 4 has a panorama feature for shooting photos up to 360º.
- Performance Speed
- The V-LUX 4 has an impressive burst speed of up tp 12 frames per second at full resolution. Autofocus responds in less than a tenth of a second and the start-up time is less than 1 second
- JPG and RAW
- Photos are saved in both JPEG and RAW image formats offering the user more freedom in image post-processing.
- Video Resolutions
60p: 1920 x 1080 pixels
60i: 1920 x 1080 pixels
60p: 1280 x 720 pixels
16:9 format: 1920 x 1080 pixels
1280 x 720 pixels
4:3 format: 640 x 480 pixels
- 3D Resolution
- 16:9 format: 1920 × 1080 (MPO format)
- Scene Modes
- Portrait, Soft skin, Self-portrait, Scenery, Panorama assist, Sports, Night portrait, Night scenery, HDR, Food, Baby 1, Baby 2, Pet, Sunset, 3D Photo
- Printer Compatibility
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
- Included in the purchase of the V-LUX 4 is a free download of Adobe Lightroom 4, available on the Leica website.
Actual: 12.8 Megapixel
Effective: 12.1 Megapixel
Still Images: JPEG, MPO, RAW
Movies: MPEG-4 AVCHD
|Max Resolution||12.1MP: 4000 x 3000|
|Aspect Ratio||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9|
Leica DC Vario-Elmarit, 14 elements in 11 groups
EFL: 4.5-108 mm (35 mm equivalent: 25-600 mm)
Aperture: f/2.8 (W) - 2.8 (T)
|Filter Thread||52 mm|
Wide: 0.98' (30 cm) - Infinity
Telephoto: 6.56' (2 m) - Infinity
Wide Macro: 0.39" (1 cm) - Infinity
Tele Macro: 3.28' (1 m) - Infinity
|ISO Sensitivity||Auto, 100-6400|
|Shutter||60 - 1/4000 seconds|
|Exposure Metering||Center-weighted, Multi, Spot|
Modes: Aperture Priority, Manual, Programmed Auto, Shutter Priority
Compensation: -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
|White Balance Modes||Auto, Cloudy, Daylight, Incandescent, Manual, Shade|
Up to 12 fps at 12 MP for up to 12 frames
Up to 5.5 fps at 12 MP for up to 100 frames
Up to 40 fps at 5 MP for up to 40 frames
Up to 60 fps at 2.5 MP for up to 60 frames
|Self Timer||2 Seconds, 10 Seconds|
|Maximum Effective Flash Range||
Wide: 0.98 - 44.29' (0.3 - 13.5 m)
Telephoto: 3.28 - 44.29' (1 - 13.5 m)
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe|
|Memory Card Type||
SD (up to 2GB)
SDHC (up to 32GB)
SDXC (up to 64GB)
|Video Recording||Yes, NTSC/PAL|
1920 x 1080: 60 fps
1280 x 720: 60 fps
640 x 480
|Video Clip Length||Up to 29 Minutes|
|Audio Recording||With Video, Stereo|
|Screen||3.0" LCD Rear Screen Pivoting (460,000 pixels)|
HDMI C (Mini)
32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
Humidity: 10 - 80%
|Battery||1x BP-DC12 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 7.2VDC, 1200mAh|
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||4.9 x 3.4 x 4.3" / 125.2 x 86.6 x 110.2 mm|
|Weight||20.79 oz / 589.5 g with memory card and battery|