The R-88 8-Channel Recorder and Mixer by Roland is an 8-channel field recorder that is designed for recording and mixing in professional field audio applications. In addition, it also provides USB audio interfacing for use with DAW software.
Ideal for field recordings that require multiple microphones, the R-88 provides simultaneous recording of 8 channels at a maximum sample rate of 96kHz and will record 4 channels simultaneously at a sample rate of 192kHz. It also conveniently renders a summed stereo reference mix as it records. The R-88 is capable of up to three hours of non-stop, recording at 24-bit/96kHz using a 32GB SDHC card, and up to ten hours at 16-bit/44.1kHz. It provides 8 standard XLR mic inputs plus 2 digital inputs using the AES/EBU connection. Each analog input is equipped with 48V phantom power. The recorder also boasts 8 analog XLR outputs for connecting to other audio gear, such as an analog mixing console for instance. Digital output of the stereo bus is available via the AES/EBU output, and analog via the 3.5mm mini jack output. Furthermore, there is a built-in slate mic for recording quick memos located on the R-88's front panel.
For slaving to video cameras or VTRs, the R-88 can be run in slave mode and will accept SMPTE time code via the SMPTE in BNC connector. In addition, the R-88 can be the master, sending out time code to slave devices via the SMPTE out BNC connector. The R-88 also acts as an 8 channel mixer for doing on-board mixes and is equipped with 3-band EQ on each channel. It also has a USB port that enables it to function as an audio interface for recording using a computer running DAW software. In addition to having this USB port, there is an additional USB memory port for quickly copying files to a USB flash drive.
- Simultaneous recording of 8 channels + stereo mix (up to 96kHz)
- Up to 24-bit/192kHz uncompressed linear PCM recording (up to 4 channels)
- 3 hours of recording using 32GB SDHC card (24-bit/96kHz)
- 8 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, AES/EBU input/output
- Built-in 8 channel mixer with 3-band equalizer and Mid-Side microphone decoder
- Can act as USB audio interface in conjunction with DAW software
- Touch Panel Display for intuitive navigation
- SMPTE timecode In/Out for video sync
- Built in slate mic for recording quick memos
- Four different types of power - Alkaline battery (AA), Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA), AC Adapter, External battery (4-pin XLR 9 to 16 V)
- Mixer includes input limiter, low cut, stereo channel link