The Diskstation DS413 4-Bay NAS Server by Synology is a 4-bay enclosure that supports up to four 4TB SATA II hard drives (hard drives not included in the standalone version, but may be included in B&H Kits). It features a dual core 1.067GHz processor with an integrated Floating Point Unit for faster processing, 1GB of DDR3 RAM and USB 3.0/2.0 and eSATA ports.
It also features wireless support via a dongle, and built-in Windows and Mac backup desktop applications like Time Machine. You also have print, mail and FTP server capabilities. The printing protocols include LPR, CIFS, IPP, Apple AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, Multi Functional Print Server (for Windows PC only). As a mail server, you'll find support for POP3, SMTP and IMAP protocols. Networking protocols include VPN, iSCSI and FTP for if you are in need of a fully-functioning web server.
If you're more interested in a full-fledged media server, add on packages (delivered through Synology's DiskStation Manager) include support for Xbox 360/PS3 along with support for MP3, WMA, AAC, AIFF and Ogg Vorbis codecs and many more. It also supports ISO, AVI, DAT, MPEG1, MPEG2 and MPEG4, Xvid and other video formats. Download protocols include BT, HTTP, FTP and eMule, so downloading bit torrents from your favorite peer-to-peer networks is not a problem.
If used in a small office setting, the unit comes complete with network and personal security measures. FTP over SSL/TLS, IP auto-block, firewall, encrypted network backup and secure HTTPS connections are just some of the ways you can protect your data. Complete control over groups, shared user accounts and shared folders is another way.
Managing your data is just as simple as it is secure. You have a variety of options, including push notifications over mobile devices, email/SMS notification for event logging, and custom management ports, all handled with auto DSM upgrades. If using the unit as remote server, you also have PPPoE support.
- Dual Core Performance
- With Dual Core processing power, Synology DS413 delivers an average 80.86 MB/sec writing speed under RAID 5 configuration in a Windows environment, and 111.12 MB/sec reading. The built-in Floating-Point Unit makes for faster thumbnail processing to enhance photo viewing at different resolutions. USB 3.0 support offers transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbps, 10 times faster than USB 2.0.
- Smart Energy Management
- The DS413 takes less time to transfer data to external hard drives and consumes less power. During low activity levels it uses very small amounts of power. During System Hibernation mode, DS413 consumes only 3.3 watts of power to listen for network activities, and resumes operation in a short amount of time upon demand.
- Flexible Storage Management
- The Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) feature automatically builds an optimal RAID volume with data protection based on the hard drives installed. This eliminates the need to have hard drives of identical size, while still offering a manual setup option for advanced users. Multiple Volumes on RAID allows you to create more than one volume on a RAID structure, providing a flexible and efficient way to manage your storage across all available hard drives. When the need arises to expand the volumes, simply allocate more storage space on the UI, and DSM does the rest for you without any service disruption.
- Complete Backup Solutions
- A web-based backup wizard is provided for backing up data in Synology DS413 to another Synology DiskStation or any rsync server via an encrypted protocol, or to an external hard drive via USB and eSATA connections. In addition, backing up to the cloud using the Amazon S3 service is supported. An add-on package, Time Backup, keeps DiskStation data in multiple versions, so IT administrators can easily keep track and restore to previous versions whenever required.
- Rich Office Applications
- Synology DiskStation DS413 runs on a multitasking operating system, the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM). Offering a list of business applications, the DS413 can be customized to run multiple applications of your choice. The DS413 replaces several pieces of traditional network hardware with rich features designed specifically for workgroups and offices such as antivirus, video surveillance, webmail, VPN, and LDAP directory services. Applications are managed in the Package Center, an application portal that hosts applications as ready-to-use packages and ensures software integration and one-click-installation. Additional approved 3rd party PHP web applications such as content management, customer relationship management & e-commerce systems can be hosted on DS413 by using Web Station with support for PHP/MySQL web content.
- Data Encryption
- The Synology DS413 is equipped with an encryption engine which offloads the encryption calculation task away from the main CPU, helping to improve file transfer speeds of the DiskStation. High-end features previously available only on enterprise level hardware are now accessible via Synology DS413 to small and medium-sized businesses. DS413 provides share-level AES 256-bit encryption to aid in the prevention of unauthorized access attempts to the hard drives.
- Energy Efficient
- With 35.62W of power consumption in operation, Synology DS413 is designed with energy efficiency in mind. It provides two 92x92 mm fans and a smart airflow to keep the system running cool 24/7 and its noise dampening design is very quiet. The support for multiple scheduled power on/off events and System Hibernation can further reduce power consumption and operation cost. All Synology products are produced with RoHS compliant parts and packed with recyclable packing materials. Synology acknowledges the responsibility as a global citizen to continually work to reduce the environmental impact of every product produced.