The H5D-50MS Medium Format DSLR Camera with 80mm f/2.8 HC AF Lens from Hasselblad combines the Multi-shot capable 50MP model of the new Hasselblad H system of medium format DSLR cameras with the standard 80mm f/2.8 HC lens. The H5D-50MS model contains a 36.7 x 49.1 mm 50MP (6132 x 8176) CCD sensor. With its large light path, it creates high resolution images with great clarity and color rendering without gradation breaks. Hasselblad's Natural Color Solution (HNCS) creates accurate colors, with natural skin tones and an ability to capture specific product colors and tones that are difficult to reproduce. The improved Hasselblad Image Processing Architecture ensures fast performance and transfer speed.
Bundled with the camera is the Hasselblad Normal 80mm f/2.8 HC Auto Focus lens for H Cameras. It is called the "Normal" lens because it is approximately equal to a 50mm lens in the 35mm format and therefore similar to the human eye's perspective. It offers high performance with solid color correction and little distortion. Its aperture range runs from f/2.8-32 and with that fast maximum aperture it is well capable of shooting in low light and hand held with fast shutter speeds.
The H5D-50MS differentiates itself from the H5D-50 with its Multi-Shot technology which captures a sequence of 4 identical shots, each offset by a one pixel increment. The sensor shifts by one pixel in each direction to capture all colors at each position. The result is detailed, full color information from the sensor with no artifacts like moiré, which is common with single shot digital capture. Designed for studio photographers whose work requires the ultimate in resolution, extremely fine details and exact color information, the H5D-50MS is ideal for capturing images of stationary items such as cars, jewelry, artwork and other high end products. For live, i.e., moving subjects, single shot capability is also available with the H5D-50MS.
The True Focus II autofocus system offers accurate auto-focusing when recomposing images and Immediate Focus Confirm (IFC) means there is no need to stop shooting to check if your shot was in focus. The DAC Automated Lens Correction System relays information about capture conditions and the specific lenses being used to tweak autofocus and metering for improved imaging results. Images are produced in the Hasselblad 3FR lossless compressed RAW files and 1/4 resolution print-ready JPEG files. RAW 3FR images are 65MB on average and TIFF 8-bit images are approximately 150MB.
Customized settings profiles for aperture, shutter speed, AF-mode are available with the touch of one button and can be transferred to other H5D cameras. An updated Graphical User Interface makes navigation easier and the 3.0" TFT LCD Display offers clear image playback. The bright HVD-90x Eye-level Viewfinder with 3.1x image magnification and diopter adjustment is packaged with the H5D-50MS, but other viewfinders are available including the HVM Waist-level viewfinder.
Physically, the camera has a high-strength aluminum inner core and stainless steel housings for lightweight durability that is comfortable for hand-held photography. Large, ergonomic buttons and improved weather sealing are part of the H5D-50MS's new design.
The H5D-50MS is fully compatible with the HC/HCD line of central lens shutter lenses. As mentioned, these lenses integrate DAC and True Focus II technology for clear and accurate image capture. They allow flash sync at all shutter speeds, enabling the use of flash in all lighting conditions. With the optional CF adapter, all central lens shutter V system Carl Zeiss lenses can also be used.
The H5D-50MS also features a Digital Spirit Level function to assist in accurately placing the camera in a vertical or horizontal position. The camera comes with both Phocus, the Hasselblad proprietary image processing software, and Adobe Lightroom 5.
- Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8 HC AF Lens Included
- The Hasselblad 80mm f/2.8 HC AF Lens is the standard or "normal" lens for the H series cameras. Its 35mm format focal length equivalent is approximately 50mm and it is ideally suited for almost any photographic task, whether in the studio or on location. A durable, high performance design offers ease of use and brings with it sharp imaging, accurate colors and low distortion. Its wide f/2.8 maximum aperture performs well in low light and allows for fast shutter speeds.
- Multi-Shot Technology
- The H5D-50MS offers Multi-Shot technology which captures a sequence of 4 shots, each offset by a one pixel increment. The sensor shifts by one pixel in each direction to capture all colors at each position. In this way, true detail and color are acquired without interpolation of any kind. The result is detailed, full color information from the sensor with no artifacts like moiré, which is common with single shot digital capture. Designed for studio photographers whose work requires the ultimate in resolution, extremely fine details and exact color information, the H5D-50MS is ideal for capturing images of stationary items such as cars, jewelry, artwork and other high end products where there is no room for compromise in image quality.
- True Focus II and Focus Confirm
- True Focus II provides accurate autofocus when composing and recomposing your images and the H5D provides instant focus confirm via one of six reprogrammable buttons (AE-L, True Focus, Mirror Up, Stop Down, P1 and P2).
- Digital Lens Correction
- The H5D-50MS camera allows information from the lens and exact capture conditions to be fed to the camera processor for ultra-fine tuning of the auto-focus mechanism, taking into account the design specifications of the lens and the optical specifications of the sensor. Digital Lens Correction (DAC) is an automatic correction of the images based on a combination of the various parameters concerning each specific lens for each specific shot.
- Lens Compatibility
- Hasselblad H System lens line (12 lenses from 24 to 300 mm) with integral central lens shutter system is fully compatible with the H5D-50MS. And all central lens shutter V system Carl Zeiss lenses are compatible via the optional CF adapter.
- The H5D-50MS can save up to seven customized complete camera settings profiles. Custom profiles can be passed to other H5D cameras.
- LCD Display
- The H5D-50MS has a 3.0" TFT type LCD display with 24-bit color and 460,320 pixels and larger, easier to read display style.
- Viewfinder Options
Four viewfinders are available for the H5D-50MS:
HVD 90x: 90° Eye-level viewfinder with diopter adjustment (-5 to +3.5D) and 3.1x image magnification (Included)
HV 90x: 90° Eye-level viewfinder with diopter adjustment (-4 to +2.5D) and 2.7x image magnification
HV 90x-II: 90° Eye-level viewfinder with diopter adjustment (-4 to +2.5D) and 2.7x image magnification
HVM: Waist-level viewfinder with 3.2x image magnification 3.2
- Tethered Operation and Storage Options
- Supported in Phocus by Hasselblad and Hasselblad Tethered plug-in for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, tethered operation is possible in the field or studio. The H5D-50MS offers a choice of storage devices: CF cards or a computer hard drive. With these operating and storage options, you are able to select a mode to suit the nature and location of your work.
- View Camera Compatibility
- Mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync. Electronic shutters can be controlled from Phocus. Optional Battery Adapter for stand-alone operation of digital capture unit.
- Flash Control
- Automatic TTL centre weighted system. Uses the flash built in to the viewfinder (Guide No. 12 at ISO 100) or flashes compatible with SCA3002 (Metz). Output can be adjusted from -3 to +3EV. For manual flashes a built-in metering system is available. Flash can be used at all shutter speeds.
- Digital Spirit Level
- All H5D cameras feature a Digital Spirit Level function which assists the user in accurately placing the camera vertically or horizontally. The Spirit Level is displayed on the rear LCD display and in the viewfinder.
- The H5D has been physically redesigned to be more ergonomically friendly and durable. More programmable buttons and larger, more reachable buttons improve performance and workflow and improved weather sealing allows you to shoot in the field with less worry for your camera.
- Phocus or Lightroom 5
- The H5D comes bundled with both Hasselblad's proprietary image processing software, Phocus, and Adobe Lightroom 5. Both systems have been integrated to work with the H5D. You can operate your Hasselblad camera tethered to Lightroom with a plug-in and the Hasselblad natural Color System and digital lens correction profiles have been ported into Lightroom.