The Sony HXR-NX30E camcorder is an ultra-compact, single sensor HD camcorder that records to European standards. This camera shoots Full HD at 50p/50i/25p and 720/50p, with user selectable compression choices and PAL SD video.
The imaging system consists of a Carl Zeiss 10x optical zoom lens and a single 1/2.88" Exmor CMOS sensor. The lens and image sensor are coupled and isolated from the camera body; this minimizes the effect of camera shake on the image. Sony refers to this as its Balanced Optical SteadyShot stabilizing system, and it has 2 different user selectable levels of stabilization. This differs from most camcorder image stabilization systems which are either on or off. A built-in projector provides a convenient way to project and view your footage from the camera without needing to connect an external projector to the camera.
The NX30E comes with 96GB of internal flash memory, which allows you to record over 7 hours of HD video at the camera's highest quality setting. The recording format uses the AVCHD Codec, capable of recording 1080/50p at up to 28 Mbps, as well more compressed data rates for longer recording times. With the NX30E it is possible to capture high resolution still photos while simultaneously shooting HD video. The HXR-NX30E comes with two XLR audio inputs and professional audio controls. The camera can use both SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards and Sony's Memory Stick Pro Duo cards. The camera also comes with an integrated color viewfinder and 3" color LCD monitor.
- Ultra Wide-Angle 26 mm Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Lens
- The list of professional features of the HXR-NX30E starts with the Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 3.8-38mm, 26-260mm 35mm equivalent zoom lens. Zeiss T* (T-Star) coatings reduce unwanted glare and improve lens performance. The lens has manual and electronic control of zoom, focus, and iris, and uses a 6 blade iris design which helps to render highlights in a natural way, avoiding distortions caused by using fewer iris blades.
- 1/2.88" ExmorR CMOS Image Sensor
- Utilizing advances in back-illuminated sensor technology, the Exmor R CMOS sensor provides higher sensitivity and low noise improvements over previous sensor technology. The 16:9 native aspect ratio of the 1/2.88" sensor allows you to avoid cropping and get the most resolution and best image quality out of the sensor when shooting in 16:9.
- Image Stabilization
- The Balanced Optical SteadyShot system, or B.O.S.S., encloses the optical block, from the lens to the image sensor, in a "Floating Space" to eliminate vibrations from the camera body that are common with hand held operation of light weight cameras. Combined with an electronic image stabilization system the HXR-NX30E provides for stable images with minimal blur. The image stabilizer system has 2 different levels of stabilization:Optical SteadyShot Active Mode, and Optical SteadyShot Fixed Mode which provides a greater range of movement of the optical block than in Active Mode.
- Camera Controls and Functions
- The camera comes with manual or electronic control of iris, focus, and zoom. A zoom rocker is included on the top of the camera, and remote control of the camera is through a built-in LANC port. The HXR-NX30E has manually selectable shutter speeds, as well as Zebra Bars and Peaking functions used for exposure and focus aid.
- Full HD Video Capture
- The HXR-NX30E records HD video at resolutions and frame rates of 1080/50i, 25p, 720 50p as well as Standard Definition PAL.
- The camcorder can also shoot and record 1080/50p - 50 progressive frames per second. This setting provides images which are 2x slower than normal without the need to process 50i or 25p footage into slow motion.
- The NX30E can record high resolution still images with resolutions of up to 24.1 MP.
- It is also possible to take a still photo while simultaneously shooting HD video at the FH,HQ and LP quality setting, without interrupting the video recording.
- Embedded Flash Memory
- The camera comes with 96GB of internal Flash memory,which allows it to record up to 450 minutes of HD video internally at the camera's highest quality setting. The camera can also record up to 30 hours HD video internally at the camera's highest compression setting.
- Memory Card Options
- The HXR-NX30E also comes with a built-in card slot that accepts both Memory Stick PRO Duo cards and SD/SDHC/SDXC cards, giving you flexibility in the choice of removable media you wish to use.
- The HXR-NX30E can also transfer footage directly from the internal Flash memory to optional removable media memory cards inserted in the camera's memory card slot.
- USB 2.0 File Transfer and Charging
- The integrated USB cable can be used to directly transfer your footage from the internal Flash memory to an optional external FAT 32 formatted HDD without using a computer.
- The USB cable can also be used to allow the camera to access footage on an optional external hard drive for playback on an optional external monitor connected to the camera.
- Charging over the USB cable provides one minute of recording time for every two minutes of charging time.
- The USB cable tucks away into the handgrip when not needed.
- Audio Features
- The audio interface is designed to be easy to use in the field, with default audio settings highlighted in green for easy reference.
- The included removable handle provides 2 XLR audio inputs with phantom power and professional signal attenuation options.
- Sony's ECM-XM1 directional shotgun mount is included and mounts to the removable handle, plugging into one of the XLR connectors.
- The camera comes with a built-in stereo microphone for recording sound when the handle is disconnected from the camera.
- The HXR-NX30E records audio as either HD Linear PCM/Dolby Digital 2ch, 16 bit 48kHz or STD Dolby Digital 2ch, 16 bit 48KHz.
- Timecode / User Bit Recording & HDMI Embedded Timecode Output
- The HXR-NX30E comes with settable timecode and user bits, which are available through the HDMI port on the camera. As with other NXCAM camcorders, the HXR-NX30E allows its timecode to be reset via the supplied infrared remote control. This feature is useful to reset the timecode of multiple NXCAM cameras at the same time, making it easier to synchronize the footage during the editing process.
- Built-In Light for Video, NightShot or Flash for Stills
- The built-in LED camera light functions as a flash when shooting still images, or as a video light when in video mode. It also emits infra red when the camera is in Sony's NightShot mode for shooting in low light conditions or complete darkness. Sony recommends removing any wide angle adapter and the lens step down ring when using the NightShot feature.
- Built-In Projector to View Footage
The camcorder has a built-in projector which reduces the need to carry and power an external monitor, and all the extra time spent cabling the play back device to the projector. This feature makes it possible to examine the footage on a large screen with up to a 100" diagonal screen size at 16' 4" away from the camera. With the projector feature you are not limited to viewing the footage on the camera's LCD screen, or a small monitor.
Note: The projector only projects recorded footage.
- A built-in GPS receiver allows the user to "tag" shooting locations, and create a log of areas covered, which can also be tracked in Google Maps. The GPS function also automatically adjusts the cameras clock to the proper time zone.