The ASMP Guide to New Markets in Photography from Allworth Press and edited by Susan Carr is a book on photography and its business aspects.
As a result of changes in technology and the economy, every successful photography career today is unique, and each image-maker needs to build a career that matches his or her talents to one or more markets. This indispensable manual from the American Society of Media Photographers sets the stage for understanding where the industry is now and where it is headed while offering step-by-step instructions for building a career tailored to one's own talents, interests, and business style in today's market.
An overview of developments in the industry covers the new visual needs created by the economy, the changing definition of what it means to be a photographer, the shifting distribution of clients, the role of technology, and the role of copyright, licensing, compensation, and contracts. Photographers learn how to navigate this changing landscape in a second section that guides them through a strategic analysis of their strengths and weaknesses and provides expert advice on building a business plan, marketing, and selling. Also included are concise business biographies of fifty visual artists who have successfully taken on the new markets in photography, to give readers an idea of the many directions a career today can take.
Table of Contents:
1. Where Are The Clients? by Susan Carr
2. Visual Communications in the New Economy by Tom Kennedy
3. The Role of Technology by Peter Krogh
4. The Ongoing Tug of War Between Copyright Law and Technology by Richard Dale Kelly
5. Where Are the Solutions That Create Compensation? by Richard Dale Kelly
6. Your First Step by Judy Herrmann
7. Your Roadmap by Judy Herrmann
8. Branding Your Business by Colleen Wainwright
9. Marketing Today by Colleen Wainwright
10. Selling in the New Economy by Blake Discher
11. Changing Your Course by Judy Herrmann
12. New Products and Services by Barry Schwartz
13. Marketing and Sales Focus by Barry Schwartz
14. New Business/Photographer Identity by Barry Schwartz
Table of Contents
Show moreShow less
6 x 9" (15.24 x 22.86 cm)
Allworth Book: The ASMP Guide to New Markets in Photography Review