The 4TB 3.5" RE4-GP EP500M Hard Drive for 6 or 12TB WD Sentinel DX4000 Small Office Storage Server from WD is an enterprise-class drive that expands or partially replaces the storage capacity of your WD Sentinel DX4000 Small Office Storage Server. It's compatible with the 6TB and 12TB versions of the DX4000. The drive has 4TB of data storage capacity. It utilizes a SATA 6Gb/s connection to deliver theoretical maximum interface speeds of 6Gb/s. The drive also has a 64MB data buffer.
The RE4-GP EP500M features IntelliPower, a fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate, and caching algorithms that provides significant power savings and helps ensure solid performance. Active Power Management automatically switches to idle mode whenever possible to further minimize power consumption. The drive has RAID-specific time-limited error recovery, which safeguards against drive fallout resulting from the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives. Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) gives the drive greater areal density.
- Data Storage Capacity
- This drive with 3.5" form factor has 4TB of storage space to expand or partially replace the capacity of your 6TB or 12TB WD Sentinel DX4000 Small Office Storage Server
- Utilizes a SATA 6Gb/s connection to allow theoretical interface speeds of up to 6Gb/s. Drive has a 64MB data buffer. Dual processors and increased areal density provided by Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) boost speed. All told, the RE4-GP EP500M demonstrates up to a 25% performance improvement over the previous-generation drive. Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF) optimizes operation and performance when the drive is utilized in vibration-prone multi-drive systems, such as rack-mounted servers
- RAID-specific time-limited error recovery (TLER) safeguards against drive fallout resulting from the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives. StableTrac secures the motor shaft at both ends to minimize system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking in read and write operations. Advanced mechanical optimizations along with system characterization and validation have resulted in improved rotary vibration tolerance. NoTouch ramp load technology ensures that the recording head never touches the disk media, so there's less wear on the recording head and media, as well as improved drive protection in transit
- Intelligent Design
- IntelliPower, which has been improved, is a fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate, and caching algorithms that provides substantial power savings and helps ensure solid performance. Plus, WD GreenPower enables the drive to consume less current during start-up, which can help accelerate system readiness
- Energy Efficiency
- IntelliSeek, also improved, calculates optimum seek speeds to reduce unnecessary power consumption, noise, and vibration. Additionally, WD has improved its IntelliPark feature, which reduces power consumption by automatically unloading recording heads during idle to aerodynamic drag, and by disengaging read/write channel electronics. Active Power Management automatically switches to idle mode whenever possible to further minimize power consumption. Drive recovery time from idle mode is under 1 sec, making for seamless power management between the drive and host controller. Overall, power consumption is reduced as much as 40%
- 24x7 Availability
- With a mean time between failures (MTBF) of 1.2 million hr, this drive is designed to be used 24/7 with no problems