The MX61 61-Key Music Production Synthesizer from Yamaha is a 61 key music synthesizer that combines MOTIF XS sounds, USB Audio, MIDI connectivity and DAW and VST controller features.
The MX61 includes more than 1000 voices directly from the Yamaha MOTIF XS. It includes acoustic sounds like piano, electric piano, strings, drums as well as complex 8-element synth sounds. Each voice can be customized and stored. You can also use the on-board VCM effects, which are designed to simulate the effects found on vintage keyboards.
The keyboard also includes the performance mode feature also found on the MOTIF keyboard line. This mode allows you to combine voices for play on the keyboard using the dedicated "split" and "layer buttons" and is handy for creating performances that simulate a whole band playing.
In addition to the tone generator and performance mode, the MX61 is also a capable USB Audio and MIDI Interface. Connect a USB cable to your computer and you can monitor all the sounds from your DAW via the headphone output of the MX61, or you can listen by connecting to external studio monitors. The MX61 audio interface is bi-directional so you can record the internal sounds of the keyboard directly to your computer, without ever going to the analog domain. Also, you can connect an additional controller to your computer via the MIDI in port, or use the keyboard to control other MIDI devices such as hardware sequencers and groove boxes by connecting them to the MX61's MIDI out port.
Beyond the USB audio/MIDI port, the keyboard also has a USB to Device port so you can connect USB devices for storing MX61 data to external memory. You can also play back .wav files directly from a USB stick using this port. For playing back audio from external audio devices like iPods, you can connect to the AUX input using a 3.5mm mini stereo cable.
The MX61 is also equipped with knobs and buttons for controlling internal sounds, DAW parameters and VST instruments. The interface can be customized with the included remote template editor so that any VST can be set up to be controlled by the MX61. There are also advanced integration templates for use with a variety of DAWs. When used with Cubase for instance, there is a feature that allows any parameter can be controlled by the keyboards rotary encoder just by mousing over it.
- Sounds from the MOTIF Series
- More than 1000 voices from the Yamaha MOTIF XS workstation keyboard
- Vintage Effect Simulation
- VCM effects simulate vintage effectors at the circuit level. Includes equalizer, flanger, phaser, wah effects and more
- Performance Mode
- Combine voices with dedicated arpeggiators to play on the keyboard using the "split" and "layer" buttons. Use these features and a drum track to create performances that simulate a whole band playing. The 128 performances patches on the MX61 are all user editable, but come programmed with presets as well
- 16-Part Multi Timbral and 128-note Polyphony
- Multi setting allows for playback of 16 simultaneous parts at a time. 128 notes of polyphony allow you to play dense sequences from your DAW
- Bi-directional USB Audio and MIDI Interface
- Connect a USB cable to your computer and monitor all the sounds from your computer via the headphone output, or by connecting the MX61 to external studio monitors. You can also record the internal sounds of the MX directly to your computer via the USB out
- Controls for VSTs and DAWs
- Features knobs and buttons for controlling internal sounds, DAW parameters and VST instruments. Included remote template editor allows any VST to be controlled by the MX61
- Music Production Software Suite Included
- The included Steinberg Cubase AI features 48 audio tracks and 64 MIDI tracks, notation and built-in VST effects. It also comes bundled with Steinberg Prologue virtual analog synthesizer and the Yamaha YC-3B organ emulator