The RackStation RS812+ 4-Bay NAS Server from Synology is a high-performance, scalable and full-featured rack mounted network attached storage solution. It is specifically designed for small and medium-sized businesses that require an efficient way to centralize data protection, simplify data management and rapidly scale up storage capacity with minimal time spent on setup and management.The NAS server incorporates a passive cooling structure to avoid the dependency of a dedicated processor-cooling fan and mitigate any critical point of failure. The Link Aggregation on the NAS delivers an average 175.11 MBps writing speed under RAID 5 configuration in a Windows environment and 202.31 MBps reading speed*. When the storage capacity of the NAS server nears its limits, the RX410 Expansion Enclosure can easily expand it. It securely connects to the RX410 Expansion Enclosure via an eSATA cable with specially-designed locking connectors. The NAS server runs on the operating system, DiskStation Manager (DSM), which offers comprehensive applications and features designed specifically for office and business workgroups. Windows ADS integration allows this NAS server to quickly and easily fit in an existing business network environment without recreating user accounts.
Note! *With link aggregation enabled. The performance figures could vary in different environments.
- Experience High-Performance Data Throughput
- With the link aggregation enabled, the NAS Server delivers an average 175.11 MBps writing speed under RAID 5 configuration in a Windows environment and 202.31 MBps reading speed*. The NAS Server brings you high performance that your data-intensive applications demand for a storage system and offers the ability to scale the storage capacity. 1
- High Reliability for Critical Business Applications
- Businesses need a strong foundation to face mission-critical tasks. The NAS Server delivers high data availability to ensure access when it's needed. The 2 LAN with failover support and hot-swappable drives ensure continual service uptime, should the drives need replacement or in the event of an unexpected LAN failure. In the event of a hardware failure, the NAS Server is made for easy maintenance without removing from the rack. The motherboard inside is designed for easy access and replacement. No additional system re-configuring is needed and the NAS Server can be brought back on the line with your existing data. The CPU is the heart of any system and NAS Server incorporates a passive cooling structure to avoid the dependency of a dedicated processor-cooling fan and mitigate any critical point of failure. When system detects fan failure, the built-in redundancy mechanism spins up the functional fan(s) to properly ventilate the system and support continuous operations until the replacement fan arrives. Therefore, potential system damages are minimized and system availability is maximized.
- Fits in any Business Environment
- Windows ADS integration allows the NAS Server to quickly and easily fit in an existing business network environment without the need to recreate users' accounts on the server. The "User Home" feature minimizes the administrator's effort in creating a private shared folder for a large amount of users. Windows ACL support on the NAS Server provides much finer-grained access control and efficient privilege settings, allowing IT staffs to set up privileges to files and folders on the server through their familiar Windows user interface. The privileges set on Windows ACL will be applied to all access entries, including AFP, FTP, File Station, NFS and WebDAV.
- Robust and Affordable Scalability of up to 32TB
- When the storage capacity of this NAS Server is nearing its capacity limit, it can easily be expanded with the Synology RX410 Expansion Enclosure. The RX410 Expansion Enclosure securely connects to the NAS Server via an eSATA cable with specially designed locking connectors. The RX410 Enclosure expands the existing storage capacity on the NAS Server to a maximum of 32TB.
- Rich Business Applications
- The NAS Server runs on the Synology DiskStation Manager operating system which offers comprehensive applications and features designed specifically for office and business workgroups. Web station with PHP/MySQL support allows a single NAS Server to host up to 30 websites and numerous third-party web applications, such as Content Management, Customer Relationship Management and e-Commerce system. The built-in mail server turns the NAS Server into a dedicated mail service provider. Synology Surveillance Station offers a centralized interface to manage IP cameras deployed in your office or home, allowing users traveling miles away to safeguard the environment by watching live views, recording events and taking snapshots with a computer or mobile device.
- iSCSI and Virtualization Ready
- With the iSCSI support in DSM, the NAS Server provides a seamless storage solution for virtualization servers, such as VMware, Citrix and Hyper-V. It is the ideal alternative to SAN solution for businesses. Affordable and cost-effective iSCSI allows SMB users to consolidate storage into data center storage arrays while providing hosts with the illusion of locally attached disks.
- Energy Efficient Design
- The NAS Server is designed and developed with energy efficiency in mind. Compared with the average PC counterparts, this NAS Server consumes only 46.2W in operation. The support of Wake-on-LAN/WAN and scheduled power on and off further reduces power consumption and operation cost. HDD hibernation can be configured to take effect automatically when the system has been inactive for a specified period of time. This not only saves energy but also extends the lifespan of the hard disks. Moreover, it is manufactured with RoHS compliant parts.
- A Complete Private Cloud Solution
- Synology offers a complete and hassle-free cloud solution that helps you to enjoy the benefit of hosting a private cloud solution without the hassle of network configuration. Starting from the fundamental network structure to managing file sync on multiple devices, the setup process is smooth and effortless.
- File Sync with Cloud Station
Have files synced with enhanced security, privacy and unlimited services. Cloud Station pushes every file to all your devices with up-to-date versions, so you can access the files anywhere and anytime.
• Retain up to 32 previous versions and roll back to any version easily.
• Sync and share files among group members with nearly unlimited user accounts and shared folders.
• Enhance data transmission with SSL data encryption, HTTPS and Proxy options.
- Enjoy Up-to-Date Content with DS Cloud
Turn mobile devices into your digital briefcase that's always ready to go. DS cloud automatically syncs the important files for you. You can review presentation slides while commuting on the subway, or even call up critical documents during the meeting. Enjoy more options to customize syncing behaviors.
• Support offline viewing.
• Customize sync rules, including file size limitations and file types to sync file with.
• DS cloud is available on iOS and Android devices.
- Establish Remote Connection with QuickConnect
- Accessing RackStation outside of LAN can be super easy. QuickConnect is designed to help you set up the connection without the need to configure any router settings. With QuickConnect enabled, you will be able to use Cloud Station to sync files between your home and work computers. Asides from DS cloud, QuickConnect also supports mobile remote access to DS file, DS audio and DS photo+. With just a simple click, your private cloud is always ready.
Complete Multimedia Platform
- Video Station
Video Station keeps movies, videos and TV shows neatly categorized, so you can always find what you want. It's also everyone's TV set. Just equip your RackStation with USB DTV tuners and everyone can stream and record live TV shows. You'll never miss any of them, indoors or on the go.
• Store and manage movies, TV shows and home TV shows in a centralized location.
• Video information will be collected via automatic Internet metadata searching set in your preferred language.
• Live stream or record TV programs simultaneously with multiple dongle streaming support.
• Enjoy widescreen entertainment with AirPlay and DLNA streaming.
• Watch videos and manage recording schedules with DS video on mobile devices.
- Audio Station
With Audio Station, the embedded music player, you can own a personal audio library and enjoy the exclusive collections any time, on any device. With the revamped interface, your music collection is beautifully ready to give you better user experience.
• Listen to music collection and Internet radio on PC, Mac and mobile devices.
• Stream music with Bluetooth devices, media renderers and multiple AirPlay devices.
• Live lyrics display available on Audio Station and DS audio.
- Photo Station
The online photo gallery is powered by exciting tools for you to manage, browse and share photos. Photo Station organizes your albums into a Timeline, along with a map and different tags, all neatly displayed. Make your memories truly memorable and impress your visitors with the perfectly equipped photo gallery.
• Browse and view photos on PC, Mac and mobile devices.
• Online album and blog available for individual accounts.
• Upload photos easily in a drag-n-drop manner or Photo Station Uploader.
• Create Smart Albums so photos of the same sorting rules can be grouped into the same albums automatically.
• Upload or share photos onto social network, including Facebook, Twitter, Plurk and Picasa.
Synology's Virtualization Support
- VMware VAAI Support
Synology has acquired itself with readiness for VMware vSphere 5 and full VAAI support. Full VAAI support includes Hardware Assisted Locking (ATS), Block Zero, Full Copy and Thin Provisioning. When deploying Synology RackStation, businesses are entitled for:
• Faster operation performance of VMs achieved by offloading cycles from ESXi to storage array.
• More effective utilization of storage arrays delivered by virtual machines with VAAI support.
• Better flexibility for deploying and migrating VMs.
• Higher storage performance and storage efficiency with VMFS-5 file system.
• Smoother access and management efficiency with load balancing automation in Storage vMotion.
• To show how VAAI support can improve performance in practice, here are some key figures and testing summary*:
• Hardware Assisted Locking: Creating multiple VMs is 9 times faster with ATS enabled.
• Block Zeroing: Creating a VM with Write Same support is nearly 140 times faster than on a non VAAI LUN.
• Full Copy: Copying a VM on a VAAI LUN is 34 times faster than on a non VAAI LUN. 2
- Windows Server 2012 with Hyper-V
Synology RackStation has passed Windows Server 2012 certification. Businesses are able to leverage the functionalities of Microsoft-certified storage solutions including live storage migration, capability, Hyper-V Replica and storage capacity.
• Businesses that deploy servers with Windows Server 2012 certification are entitled to:
• Boost performance and flexibility when migrating running VM without downtime.
• Accelerate VM capability to simplify management and cost.
• Allocate up to 64 virtual processors and up to 1TB memory.
• Leverage VHDX format and its ability support up to 64TB storage per virtual hard disk to flexibly accommodate to enterprise request.
• Ensure business continuity and minimize disaster recovery time with real-time VM remote replication.
- Extensive Support for Active Directory and LDAP
- The NAS Server provides extensive support for Active Directory and LDAP to give businesses the flexibility and simplicity they need to manage a complex organization. By joining the Active Directory or LDAP domain service, end users gain single sign-on to the NAS Server through their domain account. IT managers can host their own LDAP server and centrally manage access and account control with ease. With the same domain account, end users can also access various DSM services directly.
- Joining Active Directory
- As an industry standard, the Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS) from Microsoft provides many advantages in managing a complex network. IT managers can centrally store device names, user names, passwords and other information in one place, enhance network security, reduce overhead cost and more. When the NAS Server is joined to an Active Directory, IT managers don't need to create separate accounts and duplicate security information and end users can use single domain account to access the server.
- Hosting LDAP Server
- The NAS Server can act as an independent LDAP server to provide businesses with centralized account and permission management and enhanced security through a simple-to-use management interface. IT managers can use the LDAP server to create domain user accounts and define access rights for shared folders, storage quota and various DSM applications on the NAS Server. IT managers can also join a NAS Server to an existing LDAP domain service.
- DSM Apps Integration
- In addition to accessing shared folders and files in the network, the NAS Server also allows end users to access various DSM services and apps directly with a single domain account. For example, IT managers can allow end users to access Cloud Station to sync files across multiple devices or facilitate project collaboration.
Synology High Availability
- Ensures Business Continuity
In this modern competitive global economy, businesses can't afford to have their mission-critical services be offline for even a short period of time. That's where Synology High Availability (SHA) solution comes in to provide reliable, simple-to-use failover mechanism to recover from physical and service failures.
• Automate system recovery and resume service efficiently.
• Heartbeat mechanism to detect and respond to system failure timely.
• Web-based, easy-to-use management interface.
- Heartbeat and Failover Protection
- The SHA harnesses dual Synology NAS storage servers into a high available cluster. The Heartbeat feature allows a primary and backup server to determine if the other is "alive." When one of the servers experiences service or physical failure, the other fails over resources and resumes service automatically. Install SHA on your Synology NAS storage servers to minimize service downtime.
- Affordable Solution for SMBs
- One of the strengths of the NAS Server has always been the ability to provide rich features to all user groups at an affordable cost. SMBs that have limited budget can take advantage of the SHA solution to ensure their important services and data are well protected.