The Benchmark DAC 1 HDR D/A Converter with USB and X Remote (220 Volt Switch-Silver) is a reference-quality stereo preamplifier, a digital-to-analog converter, a headphone-amplifier, and a computer audio interface. It is designed to minimize distortion and ensure hi-fi listening for audiophiles, recording studios, and mastering engineers. To achieve this, the device utilizes Benchmark's jitter-immune UltraLock clock system that blocks more than 12.5 UI of jitter at 1 kHz. For D/A conversion the device features the AdvancedUSB Audio native 24-bit 96-kHz USB converter technology, which does not require the installation of a driver. It also includes a high-current output stage, selectable headphone gain ranges, and an auto-mute function that silences the main outputs when using headphones.
The device features a remote control built around Benchmark's new high dynamic range volume control system, which uses a custom-built motorized Alps potentiometer to preserve dynamic range in the converter and output stages. The remote control includes a "dim" button that allows you to instantly switch to a reduced volume level, such as when a commercial comes on while watching TV, and then return to the program listening level when the commercials are over. It also features a "soft mute" button that will gradually lower the listening volume to silence when pressed and slowly bring it back to the original listening level when pressed again.
The unit includes Benchmark's HPA2 high-current 0-ohm headphone power amplifier that maintains less than 0.0003% THD+N under a full load while powering two sets of headphones. The front panel features two 1/4" headphone jacks, a combination power and source selector knob, a six-LED status indicator, and a rotary volume control. The back panel features balanced XLR outputs, unbalanced RCA outputs, a 3-position output level switch, a stereo pair of unbalanced analog RCA inputs, a USB input, an optical digital input, three digital coaxial inputs, and the power plug connector.
- High Dynamic Range Volume Control
- Utilizes a custom-built motorized Alps potentiometer to maintain the dynamic range of the converter and audio output stages while controlling the volume
- DAC1 Digital To Analog Conversion System
- Provides 2-channels of up to 24-bit 192 kHz digital to analog conversion
- Jitter-Immune UltraLock Clock System
- Blocks more than 12.5 UI of jitter at 1 1kHz to outperform two-stage PLL jitter filter designs
- AdvancedUSB Audio Technology
- Supports 24-bit audio up to 96 kHz without installing drivers and utilizes the UltraLock clock system to minimize the effects of jitter
- HPA2 Headphone Amplifier
- Maintains less than 0.0003% THD+N under a full load while driving two sets of headphones
- Selectable Low-Impedance Attenuators
- Attenuates XLR outputs by 0, 10, 20, or 30 dB
- Low Hum Transformer
- Features low radiation toroidal power transformer to significantly reduce line related interference and hum
- Voltage Switchable Power Supply
- While factory configured for 220 V with the appropriate fuse, the universal power supply can switch between 115 and 230 V when operating the device in different countries