The RECEPTOR VIP Plug-In Player from Muse Research is a rack-mountable hardware unit that allows you to use pre-installed virtual instruments and effect plug-ins in a live setting. It is powered by a dual-core Intel 3 GHz processor and features a variety of virtual keyboard instruments, guitar amp emulators, and studio processors that can be used by keyboardists, guitarists, and solo instrumentalists who also sing.
The unit can process two signals differently at the same time, allowing you to connect your instrument to one input for processing and your vocals to the second input for their own effects and processing. The unit has dual combination XLR/TRS inputs on the front panel and 2 balanced 1/4" inputs on the rear. In addition, it has a 5-pin DIN MIDI input and supports USB MIDI, so you can use your controller to play a variety of keyboard and synth sounds.
- Installed Software
- MusePlayer sample player: over 4GB of pristine sounds, including a 900MB piano.
- AAS Player with dozens of custom presets
- Camel Audio Alchemy Player Synthesizer with dozens of custom presets
- U-He Triple Cheese Karplus-Strong synth with dozens of sounds.
- ForeFront Amber Lite physically modeled grand piano
- Peavey ReValver Guitar amp and effects modeling
- MuTech MuVoice LE with dozens of vocal processing presets
- WaveArts MasterVerb 4 professional reverberation effects plug-in
- WaveArts TrackPlug 4 professional channel strip with EQ/Compressor/Limiter/Gate
- Camel Audio Camel Phatt, Camel Space, and Camel Crusher distortion, filter, and delay effects.
- Gallo Engineering Studio Devil BVC Guitar Amp Modeler
- Kjaerhus Audio Classic EQ, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Reverb, Limiter
- IK Multimedia Amplitube 2 Duo Amp Modeler
- Big Tick Dual Delay, Hexaline, TickyClav, Cheeze Machine
- EVM Synths MicroSynth
- AudioNerdz Delay Lama
- Green Oak Crystal Synth
- GTG Synths LOG Synth, PD Poly, Tranzister, Yuno 2
- Rumpelrausch Taips ZR-3
- Xoxos Synger
- Smart Electronics H20, MadShifta, SupaPhaser
- Destroy FX Buffer Override, EQ Sync, Monomaker, RMS Buddy, Scrubby, Skidder
- GVST Gloop Audio Looper
- Steinberg Karlette
- Toby Bear CowDelay, Decimator
- Wurr Audio Green Gate, Green Wah, Little Booster, GreenMachine Amp II
- Virtual Creations Ultra Phazer
- Caters to Multiple Types of Musicians
The RECEPTOR VIP is software-based, so it can appeal to a very wide range of musicians, including keyboardists, guitarists (both electric and acoustic), vocalists, percussionists, and live sound mix engineers. And of course, if you happen to be a guitarist or keyboardist or percussionist who sings, you'll be even more delighted because RECEPTOR VIP does more than one thing at once... You can process your guitar while you sing, or play that killer piano while your friend plays guitar or bass... or even process two guitars separately and simultaneously! RECEPTOR VIP is one of those rare units that does many things well, yet still meets specific needs
- Keyboardists: RECEPTOR VIP can be a companion to a Roland, Yamaha, Korg, or Kurzweil workstation keyboard. RECEPTOR VIP has the ability to expand the sound palette of these keyboards, as well as integrate with most keyboards thanks to the MIDI learn function. You can even process the audio output from your keyboard through the RECEPTOR VIP while simultaneously generating sounds in the RECEPTOR VIP, making it an ideal way to expand your workstation while maintaining the feel you are used to
- Guitarists: RECEPTOR VIP guitar section starts with the included ReValver amp modeling software, but that's just the beginning. You can route your guitar through various studio effects to take your tone where you like, selecting patches with nothing but an optional footswitch plugged into the back. RECEPTOR VIP lets you create presets that can be instantly recalled, combined, and/or modified in real-time with an optional MIDI foot pedal. RECEPTOR VIP not only expands your world of tone, but can also clean up your band's live mix by eliminating mic bleed and making stage volume problems a thing of the past. Of course, you can still use your favorite stomp boxes since the VIP has two standard guitar inputs on the front panel, letting you send raw guitar signal into one channel for virtual amp processing and connecting your effect chain signal into the other, switching or combining the two as desired
- Solo Instrumentalists Who Sing: Do you play solo regularly at a local pub, club, weddings, or at a hotel or restaurant? The last thing you want to do is drag a car-full of gear with you every time you play. That's where RECEPTOR VIP really shines. All you need is your keyboard or guitar, your microphone, and your powered PA speakers and you're ready to go. That's because you can play RECEPTOR's vast array of internal sounds from your MIDI keyboard, process your vocal, and process your guitar, and mix in backing tracks from your iPod or CD player - all at the same time
RECEPTOR VIP features a user-interface called SoundFinder designed for anyone, regardless of their technical sophistication, to start taking advantage of software virtual instruments and effects with the turn of a knob and the push of a button
The SoundFinder interface organizes the hundreds of presets in the VIP into simple categories called TAGS. RECEPTOR VIP starts up in PLAY mode, which lets you choose a category (TAG) of sounds or effects you are interested with the lower knob, then select a specific sound or effect you want to play with the top knob, and pressing either knob to load. That's all there is to it
Your RECEPTOR VIP comes with pre-defined TAGS for the categories of sounds, like Acoustic Pianos, Electric Pianos, Pad Synths, etc, as well as TAGS for the type of effects you might need like Electric Guitar Effects, Acoustic Guitar Effects, or Vocal Processing Effects. This makes it incredibly easy to find a specific sound or effect quickly - just select the TAG and select the preset
Of course SoundFinder also lets you create your own custom TAGS to organize your sounds however you want. You can create a TAG for the sounds you use in a particular gig, or perhaps create TAGs that are specific to a particular recording project. What's even better is that once you have created a TAG of the sounds or effects you need, you can perform with them instantly using the exclusive LIVE MODE
- Live Mode
Virtual instruments and effects sound better and are far more versatile than hardware instruments and effects, often because the sounds are much larger and more detailed than what you find on a hardware synth. The only downside is that larger sounds take longer to load, which can cause delays when you are on stage performing. The RECEPTOR VIP solves this problem with a new, proprietary feature called Live Mode. Live Mode lets you take the contents of any TAG and pre-load the sounds or effects in that TAG using Muse's proprietary look-ahead intelligent caching technology. This lets you pre-loads your sounds (up to the limits of the available RAM) and move from sound to sound (or effect to effect) instantly with no waiting for subsequent sounds or effects to load.
Using Live Mode is incredibly simple: select a TAG, enter Live Mode and start playing! Live Mode starts at the top of your list of sounds, and as you finish with your previous sounds, they are automatically unloaded and new sounds are loaded in their place. The previous preset you played is always kept available, as are several more that are "down the list", making it an ideal feature for moving quickly from song to song or cue to cue during rehearsals.
- You can use the front panel preset knob to select a sound, just turn to the name of the preset and it loads automatically.
- You can attach a mouse and monitor to the back of your VIP and click on the large preset increment or decrement buttons on the LIVE MODE window. The big buttons make it easy to find and hit the target even on stage.
- You can send a MIDI program change from your keyboard or controller to select presets, which instantly move to the next sound in the list.
- You can connect an optional footswitch into the back of the unit and select presets by pressing the footswitch. There is even support for a TRS jack adapter to connect TWO footswitches, one for moving down the list, one for moving up
- You can connect a Wi-Fi router to the back of the VIP and use a mobile device such as a smartphone, tablet computer, or laptop to run a VNC viewer application (available as a free download for most devices). This gives you wireless control via the Live Mode performance screen, and was specifically designed for easy viewing and control from a tablet device such as an iPad.
Live Mode also features a NOTES function that lets you enter performance reminders such as lyrics, key signatures, tempos - anything you want or need to see on stage
Live Mode also lets you override volume and panning levels that were saved with the preset, making it possible fine tune your set without having to re-save your sounds. This is great for fast and easy modifications to your list of presets without ever having to leave the Live Mode performance screen