The Autodesk Smoke 2013 for Mac is a standalone copy of Smoke 2013 on an installation DVD.
Smoke has been heavily changed in this new version, with a redesigned UI, a new media management workflow, a new conform workflow, standardized editing operations, a new color management engine, and much more. The new Smoke combines a heritage of visual effects tools with a full-featured NLE into an all-in-one timeline-based editing and effects application. You'll be able to edit a project and finish it with 3D compositing, color correction, and motion graphics, all without leaving the program. Smoke is moreover capable of conforming timelines from Media Composer, Final Cut Pro (including FCP X), and Premiere.
A procedural compositing environment called ConnectFX follows a node-based workflow that'll let you design and customize high-end effects right from the timeline. A feature called Action provides you with keying, tracking, 3D lighting, and shading functions in a single 3D compositing toolset -- you'll be able to create 3D text, titles, animated motion graphics, and 3D logos, with total control over lighting.
Smoke 2013 can be used not only on Mac Pros but also MacBook Pros and iMacs.
- Major Workflow Redesign
Smoke 2013 features a new UI paradigm known as the Workspace, which includes:
- The "Media Panel", providing persistent media access from all the creative environments
- Tab-based navigation, simplifying access to the key areas of the application
- MediaHub Tab: New Media Management Workflow
The new MediaHub is an integrated media management environment that gives you:
- An integrated network and local browser for importing files
- A simplified environment to create and restore archives
- A simplified file export, in which you can export multiple files in one operation
- A preset-based export workflow, allowing easy exports and complex publish operations, such as EDL publishing
- Advanced options in the Media Export window that provide complete control over the export settings
- Drag-and-drop based operations
- Resize and LUT on import
- Conform Tab: New Conform Workflow
The new Conform tab centralizes and simplifies all your conform tasks.
- Conform imported sequences
- Import EDL sequences
- Relink clips to their high-resolution media
- Timeline Tab: Standardized Editing Operations
The timeline has been standardized so that you can bring editing skills you have developed in other applications to Smoke, with ease.
- Edit clips and sequences in a timeline that uses the same conventions as other popular NLEs
- Use keyboard shortcuts you are already familiar with
- ConnectFX: Effects Integrated Right in Your Timeline
ConnectFX is a powerful procedural compositing environment that you can access right from your timeline.
- Access all the image processing effects and tools directly from your timeline
- Enjoy the flexibility of being able to reorder your effects
- Take your timeline composite into Action, the 3D compositing environment
- New Color Management Engine and ACES Support
- Smoke now supports the powerful new Academy/ASC color transform format. These color transforms are applied using a new floating-point color management engine that has been integrated into the viewer/player, the broadcast monitor, and the LUT Editor. The LUT Editor also includes the ability to combine multiple color transforms and export them. There is also a collection of over 100 color transforms which includes support for the Academy Color Encoding System (ACES).
SMOKE in GENERAL
- Editing and Effects Combined
- Smoke offers the traditional workflow of non-linear editing and integrated high-end effects, motion graphics and color grading tools in a single application that helps you eliminate round tripping.
- Professional Editing
- Smoke was designed with the timeline as its creative home base. Editing and trimming tools, hotkeys, audio controls and media bins work the way you expect. Familiar UI layouts let you quickly move between organizing clips, source/record editing, color matching, and visual effects. Smoke brings a heritage of high-end effect tools right into the timeline. Moving between editing and effects is fluid and non-disruptive, as the dynamic UI of Smoke reshapes itself to the task at hand. Because rendered results are automatically fed back into your timeline, changes and updates are not a problem.
- Accurate Conform Tools
- Smoke offers powerful conform workflows with the most popular editorial software. You can import projects and media files from Final Cut Pro X via XML. If you're working with Media Composer or Premiere Pro, you can access multi-layer timelines and media using AAF. Regardless of where your timeline comes from, Smoke offers a comprehensive set of media management and troubleshooting tools that make it easy to conform complex multi-layer timelines made up of various formats and frame rates.
- Native Support for the Formats You Need
- With Smoke 2013, your media is managed automatically in one place and within a single project. MediaHub is an intuitive and easy way to manage the media in your project -- from ingest to edit to effects and archiving. You can try out different shots, update the cut or revise complex visual effects and see the result right away. You'll waste less time manually searching for render files or backtracking changes between applications and plug-ins. Smoke allows you to begin working right away without having to duplicate media. Work natively or create local optimized media in the background from uncompressed image sequences like: raw RED, ARRI Alexa media, and DSLRs.
- ConnectFX: Node-Based Compositing
- With the ConnectFX feature, you can quickly apply multiple effects to timeline segments or gaps in a customizable and flexible effects pipeline. Design complex and unique effects by combining intuitive tools, including keying, 3D compositing, relighting, plug-in type effects, paint, and text. Move quickly between layer-based timeline effects and a customizable schematic view. Experiment right in the timeline until you get the look you want. If you need to make changes, you can just swap media sources or reconnect your effects in the order you want them. Results ripple through your effects and right back into the timeline.
- True 3D Effects in Action
- With Smoke you can mix video with 2D and 3D elements in a composite; design 3D text, titles and logos; and have total control over lighting in your project -- all in the timeline. Action is a fast and interactive compositing environment that surpasses the layer-based 2D workflow of typical compositing applications by delivering an interactive, true 3D creative experience. Using Action you don't have to be a 3D artist to create amazing 3D effects. You can start your composite using a segment or group of segments by bending or warping video layers into 3D shapes. Smoke has a full 3D titling system and the ability to import 3D geometry. Text can be extruded and beveled, and objects can be textured and cast shadows. With Smoke, you can quickly design amazing 3D motion graphics without leaving your editor. Intuitive animation controls allow you to adjust keyframes and control the timing of objects in your scene. Smoke offers sophisticated relighting tools for creating highly stylized lighting effects such as 3D lens flares, volumetic light rays, true 3D cast shadows and blooming.
- Flexible System Requirements
- Smoke supports iMacs, MacBook Pro laptops, MacBook Pros and fast Thunderbolt storage.
- Learning Smoke is Easy
- Autodesk has redesigned Smoke easy to learn and use. Extensive training resources are available, including online documentation, tutorials, tips & tricks, webcasts, the AREA online community forum, the Smoke Learning Channel on YouTube, and paid Smoke trainings.