Avid's Symphony 6.5 (Download) has all of the same features, tools, and workflows as Media Composer, plus advanced and secondary color correction, Boris Continuum Complete, and Universal Mastering tools. Whether you edit movies, TV shows, commercials, or other video, this industry-standard solution provides 64-bit performance, easy-to-use video editing tools, and streamlined HD, file-based, and stereo 3D workflows to complete projects fast.
And now it's even better with new versioning and archive workflows, more open ways of working with third-party software and hardware, and more powerful audio tools for video editors than any other NLE.
And now, when you buy Symphony 6.5, you'll also get an upgrade to Media Composer 7.0 with the Symphony Option - the next generation of the Media Composer family.
Note: 1. Media Composer 7.0 with Symphony Option does not include support for connecting to Interplay, Interplay Central, or Interplay Sphere. Customers who need Interplay, Interplay Central, or Interplay Sphere support should contact their reseller or Avid Sales rep to purchase Media Composer 7.0 Interplay Edition with Symphony Option.
2. Uncompressed video on laptops is limited to one stream of uncompressed SD video, except for Windows-based Intel Core i7 laptops (Quad Core with Hyper-Threading) with eSata external storage, which can play multiple streams of 1:1 uncompressed SD.
3. NVIDIA cards are recommended; full-screen playback requires a minimum of 128 MB of graphics memory.
- Version and archive finished sequences with AS-02
- With support for the AS-02 MXF mastering format through AMA, managing multiple versions of the same sequence is easy, as AS-02 packs everything into a single bundle without duplicating assets, saving storage space. Seamlessly move content between Avid and other systems that support AS-02. Use JPEG 2000, DNxHD, IMX, AVC-Intra, and uncompressed media in your AS-02 workflow. And because AS-02 is an open industry standard, you'll eliminate time wasted on repackaging content.
- Create master-quality archives with JPEG 2000
- Encode and decode sequences-in mastering quality-using the JPEG 2000 codec, which helps preserve the quality of versioning and archival content in an AS-02 workflow. And because JPEG 2000 content offers resolution scalability and holds up over multiple generations when moving content across different vendors' solutions, you gain future flexibility with archived content.
- Export content using AMA
- AMA makes it easy to access and edit file-based media without transcoding. Now you can use AMA to export files back to the media's original source format for archiving or final delivery. AMA writeback is available for HDCAM SR, with more on the way as our partners update/develop their AMA plug-ins. And with new AMA Volume export support, you can create AS-02, JPEG 2000, DNxHD, AVC-I, and other file-based media volumes for roundtrip workflows, sharing, or archival.
- Set and output AFD sequences
- With new Active Format Description (AFD) support, you can create, edit, set, and deliver HD content, and rest assured that it'll be presented optimally to your audience as intended-even when down-converted and reformatted to a different aspect ratio. Simply select an AFD code for a sequence, and your settings will carry through your output.
- Relink clips using common metadata
- Gain more freedom and flexibility to interact with media from other software applications. With advanced relink support, you can dynamically reconnect clips to the original or new media using a wide variety of common metadata fields-anything that's being tracked.
- Open up your workflow with hardware release
- With the new hardware release control, which works with Avid and third-party I/O hardware, you can activate/deactivate your hardware-without disconnecting it-to access software-only features, such as full screen playback mode and audio project settings options. You can also share your third-party hardware and monitor between and other applications without quitting or rebooting software.
- Work faster with advanced audio keyframing
- Save time when editing soundtracks. With new audio keyframe enhancements, you can now copy, paste, cut, move, and adjust audio keyframes-including groups-anywhere on the timeline. You can even delete those hidden audio keyframes that can occur as you trim a clip, with just a click.
- Mix up to 64 audio voices
- Monitor more complex soundtracks with support for up to 64 audio voices. Combined with robust audio tools, 7.1 surround sound and RTAS plug-in support, and unmatched integration with Pro Tools, the Media Composer family of products offers the best built-in audio tools for video editors than any other NLE.
- Full 64-bit power
- Fast gets even faster with native 64-bit operation, so even when you layer together the most complex effects, things will still feel snappy. Experience smoother playback, faster rendering performance, and better handling with large bins-and say goodbye to the old memory limitations of 32-bit operating systems. (Still need 32-bit? Learn more about Media Composer 5.5).
- Open to anything
- You never know what kinds of media, projects, and people will arrive at your desk or doorstep. That's why Symphony offers open workflows, so you can take on whatever challenge awaits. Work with file-based media, tape, and film. Capture and monitor with your choice of powerful and reliable Avid or third-party interfaces. Accelerate editing with Artist Series control surfaces. Integrate into any professional production pipeline. Sync projects with Pro Tools editors using Video Satellite. And take your offline online to Symphony or Avid DS- without redoing work.
- Experience the "waitless" workflow
- With AMA (Avid Media Access), you can instantly access and edit file-based media-including ARRI ALEXA MXF, RED (EPIC, SCARLET-X, and ONE), AVCHD, ProRes, QuickTime (including footage from HDSLR cameras), XDCAM, P2, Canon XF, and other formats-without transcoding or copying files (watch the video). Preview footage without the wait. And as new cameras and formats emerge, manufacturers can create and release their own AMA plug-ins independently from a Symphony release.
- Edit 3D
- Edit stereoscopic 3D material as quickly and easily as you do with standard 2D footage, with a full set of new features and workflows. Capture, edit, and manage the complete 3D end-to-end workflow. Mix and match 2D and stereoscopic 3D clips on the same track. Plus, work with full frame and frame-compatible sources, full-fledged editing tools, video effects, and more.
- Work with any media
- File-based media, analog and digital tape, stereoscopic 3D material, film-bring it on. Symphony offers ACE-certified editing tools and a wide range of features, workflows, and options that enable you to work with everything, from old-school media to the latest camera technologies. Plus, with support for 4:4:4 HD-RGB color and DNxHD 444, you can work efficiently while preserving the full-quality color detail from beginning to end.
- Experience cutting edge storytelling
- It doesn't matter how you learned to edit-Symphony goes where others leave off, enabling you to work the way you want. Trim and manipulate on the fly using the Smart Tool (see the Smart Tool in action), or perform ultra-precise edits using traditional tools. Mix and match media formats, frame rates, resolutions, and more in the same timeline without rendering (see Mix and Match in action). And edit HD material in real time-in mastering picture quality-using Avid DNxHD or DNxHD 444.
- Better performance-and 3D-with Avid hardware
- For the fastest capture/edit/monitor/output workflows, pair Symphony with a Nitris DX or Mojo DX video interface and experience hardware-accelerated power that's second to none. You can even customize Nitris DX with up to two Avid DNxHD or AVC-Intra chips to fully support stereoscopic 3D and HD RGB 4:4:4 workflows.
- Work with the hardware you have
- Symphony is fully open thanks to Avid Open I/O, so you can work with your choice of powerful and reliable Avid audio and video interfaces or third-party video I/O cards, including those from AJA, Blackmagic Design, Bluefish444, Matrox, and MOTU. Manufacturers can simply create plug-ins using Avid Open I/O to have their hardware work with Symphony, meaning you'll have even more choices to come.
- Collaborate with ease
- Share media, projects, and bins-locally and across the world-to complete projects on time and on budget. With Avid ISIS, you and your team can access the same assets and capture media to the same volume simultaneously, without copying. Collaborate across mixed editing platforms, including Final Cut Pro, through AMA, which supports ProRes encoding (Mac only) and decoding. Share audio mixes with Pro Tools editors-and vice-versa-using AAF. And bring collaboration to the highest level with Avid Interplay.
- Gain peace of mind with reliable media management
- Whether you work alone or as part of a team, you won't have to worry about losing your assets. Symphony provides you with 20+ years of industry-proven media management innovation, which keeps track of all your projects, assets, source material, rendered files, metadata, and more, so you don't have to. Not only that, you can customize it to track your assets the way you want.
- Find the right clips and best takes fast
- Working on a scripted or dialog-heavy project such as a reality TV show, documentary, or interview? Save hours of time with two powerful dialog search options. For script-based projects, the ScriptSync powered by Nexidia option analyzes all clip dialog in your project and then syncs all relevant clips to the script, so you can find the best takes fast. For dialog-driven material, the PhraseFind powered by Nexidia option indexes all clip dialog in your project, enabling you to quickly locate all relevant clips by searching on a key word or phrase.
- Get stock footage and more in the Avid Marketplace
- Conveniently browse for stock footage, plug-ins, hardware, and more, right from within-no shoes, shirt, or pants required. Search for, preview, and purchase stock footage from T3 Media in context with your project. Shop for plug-ins, software options, and compatible hardware to extend your capabilities. You'll even find training material and other media that'll help perfect your skills.
- Design and dazzle with visual effects
- Give your projects that professional polish. Create eye-catching 2D and 3D composites, titles, animation, and effects with Avid FX (aka Boris RED).Get that professional high-quality look with Boris Continuum Complete, which includes over 200 filters, 3D objects, effects, keys and mattes, and more. Add visual drama and depth with the built-in 2D and 3D effects, title tools, transitions, keying, and motion effects. Track and stabilize motion. And expand your visual palette with our third-party partners' effects, many of which can be purchased within Symphony through the Avid Marketplace.
- Create studio-quality soundtracks
- Make your projects sound as good as they look using the built-in audio recording, editing, and mixing tools (watch the video ). Record and monitor voiceovers, overdubs, and more using select Avid audio interfaces. Edit and mix in up to 7.1 surround sound (watch the video). Share mixes with Pro Tools editors. Polish sounds with 20 included AIR effects-the same RTAS plug-ins that come with Pro Tools. And expand your sound with the industry's best compressors, reverbs, and other sound processing plug-ins, many of which can be purchased within Symphony from the Avid Marketplace.
- Color correct and grade with precision
- Save time and maintain the highest quality production with the fully integrated 10-bit color correction toolset. Quickly and accurately match colors from shot to shot using NaturalMatch. Gain better color precision with support for full-quality 4:4:4 HD-RGB color space processing. Get fine control over shots with animatable color correction. Speed up your color work with Artist Color (watch the video ). And dive into the large palette of easy- to-use tools to refine settings or get creative.
- Take your offline online with powerful finishing tools
- With advanced and secondary color tools, you can correct color and grade it to get the look you're after-with the utmost precision-and with full 4:4:4 HD RGB color support. When you're ready to send your project out to tape, simply set the desired output frame rate in Universal Mastering to create your final master in the highest quality, with consistency-even if your project includes clips with different frame rates. (Universal Mastering is only available when used with Nitris DX hardware.)
- Design and deliver
- With Avid DVD and Sorenson Squeeze included, you can author DVDs and optimize media for the highest-quality playback-online or on disc. Author professional DVDs using Avid DVD, which works with Windows-based systems (including emulation software on Macs). With Sorenson Squeeze, you can optimize content in a variety of formats (including HD, DVD, MPEG-2, MPEG-4/H.264, Flash, and 3GPP).
- Edit titles directly from the timeline
- Get support for variable GOP sizes in AVCHD media
- Automatically relink to all AMA QuickTime files
- Version and archive finished sequences with AS-02
- Create master-quality archives with JPEG 2000 support
- Export content back to the original AMA source
- Ensure your work is viewed as intended with new AFD support
- Switch to software-only mode or share your I/O hardware with other software without disconnecting, quitting, or rebooting
- Speed up audio editing with advanced keyframes, and monitor up to 64 voices
- Get the performance and speed you need to handle complex editing, with 64-bit power
- Directly access and edit RED, ProRes, QuickTIme, XDCAM, AVCHD, and other file-based media with AMA-no transcoding required
- Work with the third-party hardware you may already have through Avid Open I/O
- Manage and edit stereoscopic 3D projects with a comprehensive set of tools and workflows
- Take hands-on control of editing, color correction, and mixing with Artist Series control surfaces
- Get full-featured audio tools and workflows, including 7.1 surround sound, RTAS plug-ins, and Pro Tools integration
- Conveniently purchase stock footage, plug-ins, and more through the Avid Marketplace
- Work more easily with animated effects with many keyframe editor improvements
- Get Boris Continuum Complete, Avid FX (Boris RED), Avid DVD, and Sorenson Squeeze included
- And much more
- Included Software
Symphony Software: Edit and finish HD, SD, and stereoscopic 3D material
Avid DVD: Author DVDs (Windows Only)
Avid FX: Create and animate titles, effects, transitions, and more
Boris Continuum Complete: Create stunning visual effects
Sorenson Squeeze: Optimize and deliver content for web or disc play
EDL Manager: Export timecode metadata
FilmScribe: Export film metadata
Log Exchange: Convert shot logs into ALE files
MediaLog: Manage logging and metadata
Upgrade to Media Composer 7.0 with Symphony Option (provided when it becomes publically available)