The Canon 32GB VIXIA HF R42 Full HD Camcorder records Full HD 1920 x 1080p video to an internal 32GB flash memory or to an SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card. It also supports Full HD still image capture and the camera is equipped with built-in Wi-Fi for remote operation and live streaming. The HF R42 features a 3.28 megapixel Full HD CMOS image sensor and a DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor. It also employs a genuine Canon HD video lens with 53x Advanced Zoom and SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization with improved Dynamic Image Stabilization. For easy recording and instant playback, there's a 3" touch panel LCD as well.
Designed with all levels of users in mind, the HF R42 has a laundry list of features including MP4 and AVCHD independent or dual simultaneous recording, an innovative Baby Mode, Intelligent IS, Smart AUTO, a higher capacity battery for longer shooting sessions and more. For connectivity to your HDTV, the camcorder is equipped with a mini-HDMI output. Plus, for improved audio recording, the HF R42 has both a headphone and a microphone jack. You can also achieve a variety of cinematic effects using the integrated Cinema-Look Filters.
- Genuine Canon HD Video Lens with 53x Advanced Zoom
- The camcorder features a Genuine Canon HD Video Lens with an expanded 38.5mm (35mm equivalent) wide-angle area. It uses aspherical lens technology to achieve low chromatic aberration with high resolution while maintaining compact dimensions. Super spectra coating technology lowers flare and ghosting. The VIXIA HF R42 also features a 53x Advanced Zoom that takes the camcorder's telephoto power all the way to 1723mm (35mm equivalent) in manual mode. The camcorder offers continually variable Zoom Speed settings as well, with 15 levels available.
- SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization with Improved Dynamic Image Stabilization
- Canon's SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer corrects camera shake instantly, even when shooting handheld video at long focal lengths. The VIXIA HF R42's DIGIC DV 4 Image Processer allows for an improved Dynamic Image Stabilization mode. In addition to providing continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion, with extra compensation applied at wide-angle focal lengths, the system also stabilizes rotational camera shake. Controlling rotational camera shake - horizontal, vertical and roll axis - promotes distortion-free video, even when you're walking and shooting
- 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor
- The VIXIA HF R42 is equipped with a 3.28 megapixel Full HD CMOS image sensor for true 1920 x 1080 resolution. Canon's high-resolution HD CMOS image sensor features extra sensitivity for lifelike Full HD video with natural color, even in low light. Original on-chip noise reduction helps bring bright clarity to every frame as well, so your video is clear and detailed, even when played back on a large HDTV.
- DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor
- The VIXIA HF R42 incorporates Canon's advanced DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, which is a significant upgrade from previous models. The DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor captures more light, for brighter, noise-free images even in dark scenes. Increased processing power lets you record in both AVCHD and easy-to-share MP4 formats simultaneously. And, it supports improved image stabilization
- Record to Internal Flash Drive or SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card
- The VIXIA HF R42 camcorder records Full HD video to a built-in 32GB internal flash memory or to a removable SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card. Widely available in several capacities, SD memory cards let you share your videos quickly and easily. Since the VIXIA HF R42 supports super-high capacity SDXC cards, you'll be able to hold up to 128GB and transfer data faster.
- MP4 (35Mbps) or AVCHD Progressive (28Mbps) Recording
- The VIXIA HF R42 lets you record AVCHD or MP4 files. 1080/60p recording captures twice the amount of information as 60i, and with images captured at a rate of 60 frames per second, diagonal noise is minimized so even fast moving subjects are clearly recorded. 1080/60p recording also means that the still images you extract are high quality as well. The camera supports an improved bit rate of 28Mbps for AVCHD recording, and MP4 files are captured at a bit rate of up to 35Mbps.
- Built-in Wi-Fi
Built-in Wi-Fi technology on the VIXIA HF R42 lets you share your HD video with friends and family anytime, anywhere. Connect with compatible home networks, wireless hotspots, and iOS 5 or iOS 6 mobile devices using the free Canon Movie Uploader app. Videos and photos can be easily shared over the Internet with a free registration on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY - an online photo storage service that lets you upload to social networking sites. And, you can use your PC to browse remotely through the previously shot videos stored on your camcorder, without connecting a cable. The Remote Browse function uses a standard Web browser and does not require a special app.
Note: Devices supported for Canon Movie Uploader app include iPhone 4S/5, iPad 2/iPad 3rd gen, iPod touch 4th/5th
Note: Devices supported for Remote Browsing include iPhone 4S/5, iPad 2/iPad 3rd gen, iPod touch 4th/5th, most Android 4.0 devices
- The Right Format for Any Use
- Dual Recording and built-in transcoding ensure that no matter how you decide to use the video you've recorded, you'll have the right format available. Using the power of the DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, the VIXIA HF R42 camcorder can simultaneously record video to internal memory in AVCHD format, and to an SD card in MP4 format. The widely used MP4 format provides quick, conversion-free playback on tablets and smartphones, and lets you upload videos directly to social networking sites for easy sharing with friends, family and the world. AVCHD is perfect for watching videos on an HDTV or archiving them to Blu-ray discs. The camcorder also has a built-in transcoding function that converts AVCHD files to MP4s, or from MP4 to MP4 across memory media, making them easy to upload to the Web or save to an SD card.
- Live Streaming
Live Streaming is an available function of the VIXIA HF R42 camcorder's built-in Wi-Fi. It allows you to receive the live video and sound that your camcorder is recording from a remote location on your iOS 5 device, iOS 6 device or most Android 2.3-4.0 devices, using the free Canon CameraAccess app. You can also remotely control camcorder functions including start/stop and zoom, and even access information about remaining battery charge, recordable time, zoom position and more. The applications include monitoring babies and pets, capturing wildlife videos remotely without disturbing the scene, creating perfect self-videos and more.
Note: Devices supported include iPhone 4/4S/5, iPad/iPad 2/iPad 3rd gen, iPod touch 4th/5th, most Android devices 2.3 - 4.0
- 3" Capacitive Touch Panel LCD
- The VIXIA HF R42 features a 3" capacitive touch panel LCD screen that makes shooting and other operations fast and easy. Opening the panel turns the power on and a gentle touch activates intuitive functions. Choose a focal point, track moving subjects, control exposure for selected areas and operate camcorder controls from the screen - all with a touch control. In addition, the user interface has been updated. The Home button is on the menu screen and you can quickly access all functions. Plus, clear explanations for key settings pop up when selecting shooting modes and recording formats, so you can be confident in the decisions you make.
- Baby Mode
The VIXIA HF R42 features Canon's Baby Mode - a complete solution for capturing, tracking, organizing and sharing every moment of your baby's development. A custom control button on the shooting screen activates the mode, and optimal settings for the shooting conditions, including Intelligent IS and more, are automatically selected. Videos shot in Baby Mode are automatically saved into a dedicated Baby Album so they won't get lost among your other videos. You can view the Baby Album chronologically as well.
When shooting in Baby Mode, the camcorder's Pre-Record (Pre REC) function is always on. This places the camcorder in a stand-by "pre-roll" mode, where it continuously records three seconds of video to memory before you even press the record button. When you start recording, the additional video is recorded too, so you won't miss your baby's "first" moments.
Touch Decoration in Baby Mode includes stamps to mark each video with your baby's current height and weight. And with a single registration of the baby's birth date, the camcorder will automatically calculate the number of days old and stamp videos accordingly, creating an exact diary of developmental milestones for years to come. The camcorder's other Baby Mode Touch Decoration options allow you to add your own drawings, captions, animations and more. All options can be appended to previously shot video as well.
- Higher Capacity Battery
- The VIXIA HF R42 is powered by a higher capacity battery pack than previous Canon camcorders. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery not only lets you shoot longer, but features intelligent technology that accurately indicates remaining battery time down to the minute.
- Focus Assist
- To enhance focusing capability, the VIXIA HF R42 features Focus Assist. Normally found in professional broadcast-quality cameras, this feature helps in capturing your subject in razor-sharp focus. It works by providing a 2x magnification of your subject, which is automatically cancelled when you start recording.
- Intelligent IS
- Intelligent IS makes it easier to shoot clear, sharply focused video, even in situations that typically cause camera shake. The Intelligent IS system analyzes the shooting situation for you, then automatically switches to the image stabilization method best able to produce sharp, steady video. Four IS systems cover the gamut of shooting situations. Dynamic IS corrects minor movement and the shaking caused by walking while shooting. Macro IS delivers perfectly steady close-up shots. Powered IS comes into play when you're using the camcorder's powerful zoom. It helps correct camera shake that can occur in telephoto shots. There's even a Tripod Mode that stops IS when the camcorder is stationary.
- Audio Scene Select
- Audio Scene Select offers five modes that automatically optimize settings based on the recording situation, making it easier to record realistic, immersive audio in a range of situations.
- Connect Directly to External Drives
- In addition to traditional file storage methods, you can connect the camcorder directly to an external hard disk drive by using the optional UA-100 USB Adapter. This way, when you're on vacation or shooting a lot of video, you can back up data directly to an external hard disk, and even play video on a TV through your camcorder. Plus, an external hard disk is more economical than multiple SD cards, and connects simply to the camcorder with the optional USB cable.
- Smart AUTO & Auto Tele Macro
- Smart AUTO takes care of all the details so you can focus on shooting. The system recognizes 38 shooting situations based on numerous factors, then automatically chooses the optimal settings for the situation. When you shoot a nearby subject in telephoto zoom mode, Auto Tele Macro gives your video the high-end artistic effect of a well-focused subject against a beautifully blurred background.
- Cinema-Look Filters
- This feature offers a choice of seven varied built-in adjustable filters, which give the look of a variety of cinematic styles by compensating for the color, gamma and other aspects of the image's quality. The looks can be previewed in the LCD display while shooting, and also applied post-capture for additional convenience and versatility. Choose from Cinema Standard, Old Movies, Vivid, Cool, Nostalgic, Dramatic Black-and-White or Sepia. The brightness of each filter can be adjusted low, medium or high, for even greater control. When Cinema Standard is selected, color depth, softening, and contrast can also be adjusted
- Open & Shoot
- Advanced Quick Start allows you to start shooting immediately whenever the action starts. Just open the LCD screen and the power is on. Shut down is just as easy: simply close the screen.
- Genuine Canon Face Detection
The same high quality Face Detection technology used in Canon digital cameras is available in Canon high definition camcorders. Up to 35 faces can be tracked automatically, ensuring sharp focus and accurate exposure. Of the faces tracked, 9 detection frames can be displayed at one time.
The system will even recognize faces turned downwards or sideways. In addition, a specific face may be selected as the main subject for continuous tracking. This feature is also convenient in searching for clips that feature the specific subject's face. In search and playback, use of the Face Index will display those frames with the chosen face as a thumbnail in each shot in which it appears. Your selected face can also be linked as a timeline to further identify footage containing your subject.
- Ultra Clear Viewing
- The display quality of the camcorder's LCD screen has been boosted with innovative technology. Vivid Clear View affords a sharp, bright, detailed display that helps you create your best videos.
- 24p Cinema & 30p Progressive Shooting Modes
- The VIXIA HF R42 camcorder offers a 24p Cinema Mode that gives your video a film-like feel, making it look as if it were shot at the same frame rate as movie film. It does this by capturing a frame rate of 24p recorded at 60i. The camcorder also gives you the option of recording in 30p Progressive Mode, which is great for clips you intend to post online.
- Video SnapShot
- Video SnapShot allows you record a series of short video clips - or select your favorite clips while in Playback Mode - and blend in your favorite background music to create a movie that will grab everyone's attention. Video SnapShot allows selectable recording time (2, 4, or 8 seconds). Additionally, audio from an external source such as an MP3 player can be played along with the SnapShot movie, and playback can be controlled from that source.
- Accessories Get the Most from Your Camcorder
- Canon helps you get more out of your camcorder with a wide range of accessories that inspire your creativity and productivity alike. The Wireless Microphone WM-V1 streams audio wirelessly from subjects up to 164' away. It's perfect for adding your subject's voice at times when you can't get in close to shoot, and it can also be used as a stand-alone transceiver to cue shooting and more.
- Programmed AE features Smart Auto, Manual Mode (Portrait, Sports, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Night, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks), Cinema Mode, Baby Mode
- TTL focusing system
- Auto, Daylight, Tungsten and Manual white balance options
- Manual exposure available
- Camcorder includes PIXELA video browser / Network Utility Disc video editing software