The red Tough TG-2 iHS Digital Camera from Olympus is their flagship "tough" point-and-shoot digital camera with a 12MP sensor, a fast f/2.0 zoom lens and waterproof, shockproof, crush-proof and freeze-proof capabilities. The 12MP Back Side Illuminated CMOS sensor combined with the powerful TruePic VI Image Processor provide detailed, true-color images and fast performance speeds. Full HD 1080p video capture with a dedicated one-touch button and HDMI output is supported by the TG-2 iHS and high-speed 720p HD recording is possible at 120 frames per second with slow-motion playback. You can also simultaneously shoot photos while you record video.
The TG-2 iHS is built tough to withstand the elements and the drops that might otherwise damage a compact camera. It can shoot underwater to a depth of 50' (15 m) and with two protective frames it is shock-proof to a drop of 6.9' (2.1 m) and crush-proof up to 220 lbf (100 kgf). It's able to shoot and maintain all functions in temperatures as low as 14°F (-10°C) and a protective seal keeps it sand- and dust-proof. Both the lens and the OLED screen have coatings to prevent scratching and to keep rain and condensation from obscuring your view. A double-lock battery door prevents accidental openings, vital when underwater. The TG-2 is particularly apt for shooting while diving as it has four shooting modes designed to automatically capture underwater light and color balance.
The lens on the TG-2 iHS is a 4x optical zoom that provides the focal length equivalency of 25-100mm (wide angle to telephoto) in the 35mm format. The maximum aperture at the wide-angle end is f/2.0 which makes it ideal for capturing clear images in low light. A Digital Zoom function is also available to double the telephoto reach if necessary and a macro mode is supported for extreme close-ups. Dual Image Stabilization offers sharper images by reducing the blurring effects of camera shake. And fast burst shooting is supported at 5fps (frames per second) in full resolution and up to 60fps in lower resolutions.
A 3.0" OLED screen with a water-repellent coating provides composition and playback and numerous assistive features make it easy to get the best shot possible. Enhanced Intelligent Auto will make all camera adjustments to capture your images with the optimal settings and Scene Modes allow you to match the camera's settings to the scene you are shooting, whether it be Sports, Snow, or Night Portrait. One-touch Panorama is supported and Face Detection recognizes when you are shooting people in order to optimize exposure on their faces for sharp, well-lit portraits. Creative Art Filters, such as Watercolor, Fisheye and Miniature are available to add special effects to your images and Beauty Mode lets you smooth out wrinkles, whiten teeth and add make-up touches.
The TG-2 iHS also features GPS, e.compass and manometer functions to log the route taken while shooting and to provide location, landmark, elevation and depth information which can be recorded along with the compatible image.
- 12MP 1/2.3" BSI CMOS Sensor
- The 12MP sensor in the TG-2 iHS provides high quality, detailed images with fine low-light performance and fast autofocus capability.
- TruePic VI Image Processor
- The image processing engine on the TG-2 iHS offers fast transfer and performance speeds and allows the camera to shoot both high resolution photos and Full HD video with accurate colors and minimal noise.
- 4x Optical Zoom Lens with Fast f/2.0 Maximum Aperture
- With a focal range that runs from 25-100mm in the 35mm format, the lens on the TG-2 iHS provides shooting lengths from wide-angle to telephoto. The wide-angle allows for expansive vistas and the telephoto lengths can bring distant subjects closer. At the wide-angle end, the maximum aperture is f/2.0 which allows in sufficient light to shoot at fast shutter speeds and is therefore very effective in low-light situations and can create shallow depth of field images. Because this camera is meant to be used in all weather conditions, the lens is provided with a water-repellent coating to keep rain drops and condensation from clouding-up the image.
- 8x Digital Zoom
- A Digital Zoom function allows you to double your zoom range to 8x for further telephoto reach if needed.
- 1080p Full HD Video with Dedicated Button
- A one-touch button allows you to record videos with amazing clarity in Full HD 1080p video and the TG-2 iHS offers Multi-Motion Movie IS, which is a newly developed image stabilization technique that helps to reduce the blur created by camera movement when shooting video. Micro HDMI (Type D) output makes playing back videos on your HDTV simple and at 720p HD resolution you can shoot videos at 120 frames per second for slow motion capture.
- Simultaneously record videos and still images so you'll never have to compromise one for the other. Simply start recording your video and press the shutter button to snap stills throughout the recording.
- 3.0" OLED Screen
- A 3.0" OLED with 610k-dot resolution features anti-glare technology for easier composing and shooting in direct sunlight. It also has several protective coatings to prevent scratching and to keep rain and condensation off your display.
- Waterproof, Freeze-proof and Extremely Durable
- The TG-2 iHS is extremely durable and designed to be used in inclement weather, to shoot underwater and to withstand the bumps and crashes that other cameras cannot. It is waterproof to 50' (15 m), shock-proof to 6.9' (2.1 m), crush-proof to 220 lbf (100 kgf), freeze-proof to 14°F (-10°C) and dust-proof.
- Underwater Shooting Modes
- The TG-2 iHS boasts 4 different underwater scene modes -- Underwater Snapshot, Underwater Wide 1, Underwater Wide 2 and Underwater Macro -- each carefully calibrated to allow for optimal underwater color balance, exposure and flash.
- Double-Lock Durability
- A multi-directional, double-lock mechanism keeps the camera's battery door from opening and protects your camera from accidental openings underwater.
- ISO Range 100-6400
- An ISO range up to 6400 offers accurate color reproduction and low-noise imaging even in low light situations. Auto and Expandable High ISO are also provided.
- Dual Image Stabilization
- Dual Image Stabilization combines Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization with high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds to capture crisp, clear images even in low-light situations.
- High Speed Continuous Shooting
- Shoot 5fps (frames per second) up to 25 images at full resolution 100 images at up to 60fps in lower resolution.
- Autofocus Tracking
- AF Tracking automatically tracks fast-moving subjects such as kids, pets and sporting events, and continuously adjusts the focus and brightness so you can capture these moments with ease.
- AF Illuminator
- An LED Illuminator on the front of the camera acts to enhance focus and exposure for macro shooting. It also works in conjunction with the flash, especially underwater, to help illuminate your subject in low-light conditions.
- Shooting Modes
- Shooting Modes include Intelligent Auto, Program Auto, Microscopic Macro Mode, Custom Mode 1, Custom Mode 2, Beauty Mode with Make-up, Panorama and Backlight HDR.
- Intelligent Auto and Scene Modes
- In iAuto mode, the camera automatically detects the subject, lighting and situation to identify the scene you're shooting and adjusts the settings for ideal results. Scene Modes include Portrait, Beauty, Landscape, Night, Night + Portrait, Hand-Held Starlight, Sport, Indoor, Self Portrait, Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine, Beach & Snow, Documents, Pet(Cat) and Pet(Dog), Underwater Snapshot, Underwater Wide 1, Underwater Wide 2, Underwater Macro, and S macro.
- Aperture Priority Mode
- For added flexibility and creative control, Aperture Priority Mode allows you to manually adjust the aperture for optimal results. Simply set the mode dial to "A", to make adjustments.
- Microscopic Macro Mode
- Capture up-close detail of your subjects by employing Microscopic Macro Zoom, which combines the optical zoom and super resolution zoom to equal from 7 to 14x magnification (35mm conversion) from a distance of 0.4" (1 cm).
- Hand-Held Starlight Mode
- At night and in low-light situations where image blur is more likely to occur, Hand-Held Starlight mode captures multiple images and stitches them together into a single, crisp photo.
- Face Detection
- Face Detection automatically recognizes your subjects' faces and optimizes exposure for sharp, well-balanced portraits and group shots.
- Shadow Adjustment Technology (HDR)
- HDR Mode compensates for shadowed areas to minimize the differences in highlight and shadowed areas resulting in more uniform exposure across the image. When used together with iAuto or Face Detection, the subject's face is shot with optimal exposure settings so that the face can be seen clearly even under strong back light conditions.
- Panorama Mode
- Capture panoramic vistas all in one frame with the touch of one button, by simply panning the camera across the scene.
- Magic Filter - Photo and Video
- Magic Art Filters add creative touches to photos and some are applicable to videos as well. Choose from Pop Art, Pin Hole, Fisheye, Soft Focus, Punk, Sparkle, Watercolor, Miniature, Reflection, Dramatic and Fragmented.
- Shooting Assist Functions
- Histogram, Frame Assist, Hand-Held Starlight, Voice Recording
- Image Playback
Still Image: Single, Index view, Event view, Enlargement, Slideshow, Location
Video Playback: Still/Frame by Frame, Fast Forward, Rewind, Voice Playback
- Playback Edit Effects
- Various controls and effects can make adjustments to your images after they have been shot. Effects include: Resize, Crop, Red-Eye Fix and Shadow Adjustment.
- GPS, E.Compass and Manometer
- With the GPS and e.compass functions, location and landmark information will be displayed and recorded along with the image. The TG-2 iHS is also equipped with a logging function so you can track the route taken from your recorded images by using applications such as Google Earth. The manometer records elevation and water depth and displays a warning when the camera approaches a depth of 50' (15 m).
- System Expandability
- The TG-2 iHS is compatible with various accessories and converter lenses including a Fisheye Converter Lens and Tele Converter Lens and via the converter adapter ring, you can fit any 40.5mm filter onto the lens. The camera also fits into the Olympus PT-053 Underwater Housing unit in order to shoot at depths up to 135' (45 m).