The Oconnor Ultimate 1030D Fluid Head Is a lightweight fluid head that shares features with the other fluid heads in the OConnor Ultimate fluid head line. This allows operators to easily transition between lighter and heavier cameras without having to relearn think about the differences between fluid heads. The head supports 30 pounds worth of camera and accessories at a C.O.G. (center of gravity) 6 inches above the camera platform. The counterbalance system helps prevent the camera from tilting forward or back on the head on its own, and to remain in the position the operator places it without requiring additional effort to hold it in place. The counterbalance system on the 1030D is a stepless system, so it is continuously variable from the maximum weight the head can support all the way down to zero. This makes the 1030D extremely versatile, and suitable for use with heavy ENG style cameras all the way down to lightweight cameras, while maintaining the same operational feel.
The 1030D features interchangeable camera platforms, and comes with a sidelock platform and sliding baseplate as standard. The sidelock platform allows you to mount and remove the camera by lifting straight off the head and not having to slide it in from the back. The fluid head is able to tilt 90 degrees forward and back, allowing you to tilt the camera straight down and then straight up, all in the same shot. The camera also features independent drag controls and locks for both the pan and tilt. The included 100mm ball base is removable and can be replaced with other available bases. The head features an integrated bubble level for quick leveling confirmation, and the level is illuminated for times you are working in dim light conditions. The included pan handle can be attached to either side of the the fluid head utilizing the mounting rosette on either side of the head. The 1030D also features standard front box mounting points compatible with available front box brackets, and provisions for attaching an eyepiece leveler or other attachments to the head.
- Payload & Counterbalance
- The 1030D supports cameras and accessories up to 30 pounds at a C.O.G. of 6 inches. This is what the counterbalance can cancel out and keep the head neutral in any position in the tilt range. Lighter camera systems can be mounted with a taller C.O.G., while heavier camera systems are required to be mounted closer to the fluid head's camera platform so that the counterbalance can do its job. OConnor specs out 24 pounds at a C.O.G. above platform of 8 inches and 39 pounds at 4 inches. These are the maximum weights, and the stepless counterbalance can be set all the way down to zero to accommodate lightweight cameras.
- Camera Platform
- The included springloaded sideload camera platform allows you to more easily insert and remove the camera when mounted on a the sliding baseplate, similar to what is available with touch and go plates. However with the sideload platform you get the advantages of a touch and go quick release system, while still being able to use the base plate to balance the camera. Additional the sideload camera platform includes its own forward and back sliding adjustment. This provides you with additional balancing adjustment than just using the sliding baseplate alone.
- Tilt Range
- The 1030D provides 90 degrees of forward and back tilt, while supporting camera packages weighing up to 30 pounds (6" C.O.G.) This very wide tilt range is accomplished while supporting camera packages that vary from very lightweight up to 30 pounds.
- Pan and Tilt Controls
- The head features independent controls on the pan and tilt for lock and drag. The pan and tilt locks are easy to operate, requiring only the squeeze of a single hand. The pan lock has also been re-designed from earlier versions of the 1030 fluid head, and now matches the arrangement found on other heads in the Ultimate fluid head line.
- Ball Leveling
- The included 100mm ball base provides a side support base that easily accommodates the heavy loads this fluid head can support. The ball allows you to quickly level your shot without having to adjust the tripod legs. The ball base is also removable and available options include either a Mitchell base or 150mm ball base.
- Illuminated Bubble Level
- The built-in bubble level aids you in leveling your shot. A press of the button, and the bubble level will light up for approximately 25 seconds for working in dim lighting conditions. The battery is easily replaceable, and the head comes with a battery installed and tested at the factory.
- Front Box & Accessory Mounting
- The included front box mounting points allow you to attach an available front box with front box bracket to your fluid head, providing you with high end accessory mounting features. There are also accessory mounting points on the rear of the fluid head that allow you to attach available accessories such as an eyepiece leveler bracket.