The Red Range of audio processors from Focusrite have deserved legendary status in the audio community. Featuring the same circuit topology and components as the original transformer-based microphone preamp design, the Red 1 500 Series Mic Pre offers the same performance as the original Red microphone preamp while housed in a 500 Series "Lunchbox" module.
The list of features include an "original-specified" custom wound Lundahl LL1538 input transformer, switchable phantom power, polarity invert, and an illuminated classic porthole VU meter. The custom Carnhill output transformer easily drives long cable runs without loss of quality, making the unit ideal for remote recordings as well as for use in the studio.
Microphone gain is switched in 6 dB steps using a Grayhill gold-plated military-grade switch, over a range of -6 dB to +60 dB, allowing for precise channel matching and recall. Excellent audio performance is maintained over a wide range of input impedances, making the Red 1 500 suitable for almost any microphone - ribbon, dynamic or condenser.
The amplifier topology delivers good common mode rejection, provides a healthy overload margin, and with a shared gain structure from the transformer and the amplifier, a very low noise floor. Additionally, the unit maintains the traditional wide bandwidth of the original Red series preamp. The Red 1 fits in all 500 series compatible power supplies (required and sold separately).
- Recreation of the original Red 1 microphone preamp, using original Red circuit topology and components to deliver the Focusrite Red signature sound
- 500 Series "Lunchbox" format
- Lundahl LL1538 input transformer, the same as used in the original Red modules
- Carnhill custom output transformer contributes to the sound of the preamp, but also allows for driving long lines, ideal for remote and mobile applications
- Grayhill gold-plated mil-grade gain switch
- Gain from -6 dB to +60 dB in 6 dB steps and a specific input impedance makes the preamp perfect for use with almost any microphone - ribbon, dynamic or condenser
- Backlit VU meter with switchable calibration
- Polarity invert and +48V phantom power