The CGE Pro Computerized German Equatorial Mount from Celestron is a heavy-duty yet portable telescope support, alignment and guiding system optimized for astrophotography. Celestron engineered the CGE Pro mount to deliver the sophisticated functionality and robust construction required by experienced stargazers and demanding astroimagers.
This telescope mount is built for an optical tube weighting up to 90 lb, enough payload capacity to handle most Schmidt-Cassegrain OTAs. To accommodate the additional weight of observatory-grade refractor or catadioptric optical tubes, the CGE Pro mount includes a 22 lb adjustable counterweight to center the OTA over the tripod (sold separately). Maintaining the OTA's center of gravity over the tripod prevents excessive strain on the servo motors and helps deliver smooth and precise telescope tracking, which translates into crisp long exposure photographs of planetary and deep space objects alike. The mount's payload capacity and removable counterweight also make the CGE Pro ready for tandem OTA mounting.
The core technology driving the CGE Pro mount is All-Star Polar Alignment. Celestron's All-Star Polar Alignment technology features a Two-Star alignment mode that draws upon a vast database of stellar bodies to choose multiple guide stars that assist tracking across the night sky while keeping the optical tube parallel to the Earth's axis of rotation. Maintaining alignment with either celestial pole while following the path of guide stars provides a high degree of pointing and tracking accuracy. Digitally-encoded metal-geared DC servo motors drive telescope movements on both axes in fine increments that keep the observed (or photographed) object centered in the field of view to within five arc seconds. This level of tracking precision reduces optical aberrations and minimizes star trails.
Complementing the CGE Pro alignment and tracking capability is the mount's permanently programmable periodic error correction (PPEC) that eliminates recurring opto-mechanical errors inherent to all worm drives. Additionally, a 10-65° latitude range enables extended observations and photo exposures by allowing the telescope to track up to 20° past the meridian without the meridian flip common with German Equatorial mounts.
For permanent telescope installation, tool-less polar adjustment dials allow manual alignment of the CGE Pro parallel to Earth's axis. Using generously-sized metal hand screws to control the azimuth and altitude axes, the observer can position the telescope according to their specific geographic location. Manual polar alignment, used in conjunction with PPEC, fine-tunes the telescope to its observatory and makes setting up each stargazing session as easy as flicking the mount's power switch and selecting the celestial body of interest on the included NexStar hand controller.
The CGE Pro's included NexStar hand controller will slew the telescope at the touch of a button to any celestial body pre-loaded into its 40,000 object database. The NexStar controller software is flash upgradeable, which allows operating system updates and refinements to telescope-specific functions. This computerized mount also includes Celestron's proprietary NexRemote telescope control software, which enables the observer to control the telescope using their personal computer.
The combination of robust metal-geared servo motors, broad tracking latitude, and an array of sophisticated alignment and tracking technology equip the CGE Pro with the mechanical precision needed to observe and photograph nearby and deep sky objects using almost any optical tube assembly. Whether permanently installed or used with an observatory on-the-go, the GCE Pro is engineered for research-grade accuracy and reliability.
- CGE Pro Mount
- 90 lb (41kg) payload capacity, steel construction
- Modular components for increased portability
- All-Star Polar Alignment technology
- Manual polar alignment using hand screws on each axis
- Permanent programmable periodic error correction
- 2-Star / 1-Star / Solar System / Last / Quick alignment modes
- 10-65° latitude range, uninterrupted tracking 20° past meridian
- Sidereal / Solar / Lunar tracking rates
- EQ North / EQ South tracking modes
- Autoguider dedicated communication port
- PC communication port, auxiliary communication ports
- 1 arc min pointing accuracy using optional SkySync GPS
- Tandem mount-compatible counterweight bar
- Adjustable / removable 22 lb (10kg) counterweight
- 75 lb (34kg) mount weight
- Motor Drive
- DC servo motors with optical encoders and steel gears
- Seven slot-skewed armature motors
- 1.57" steel drive shafts
- 0.75" pitch diameter worm gear
- 6" pitch diameter worm wheel with brass teeth
- Spring-loaded worm minimizes backlash on declination axis
- 4-point non-slip clutch system for pointing precision on both axes
- 5.5° per second maximum slew speed
- ±5 arc second tracking accuracy
- NexStar Hand Controller
- 40,000 celestial object database
- Flash upgradeable operating software
- RS-232 serial communication port
- 16 character, 2-line LCD display
- 19 backlit interface buttons
- Language options: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish