The Codex Digital Vault 2 Process is the "Process" module of the Vault 2 file-based backup, archive, and dailies production system for industry-leading digital cameras. It ingests from Codex Capture Drives, REDMAGs, and SxS, AXSM, and CF cards, and it clones the original camera data with full redundancy checks, transcodes it to dailies formats, applies LUTs and burn-ins, and provides complete production reporting in XML and PDF. Metadata can be checked, added, and fixed in the process. WAV files can be ingested and synced with sub-frame accuracy. Vault 2 Process is the core module and the only one that can be used alone. It includes a stand base on the bottom that removes and attaches underneath any additional modules, which all connect under the Vault 2 Process.
The Vault system integrates support for the ARRI Alexa, Canon C500, RED Epic and Scarlet, and Sony F5 and F55. The Sony F65 is supported via an optional Sony F65 Module. Footage from the 1D C, C300, GoPros, and other cameras can also be used by simple CF card input. The Vault aims to bring the digital negative into a unified workflow, even when multiple cameras and formats are used on one production.
An administrator sets up the Vault, creates user accounts for a specific project, and designs and locks down a workflow, designating the tasks to be performed, their order, and who has access to various operations. Because the workflow is set up in advance, the operator on-set doesn't need any specialized knowledge. Once camera media is loaded, the Vault guides the operator through the required tasks. The operator can be blocked, for example, from deleting any camera original data until tape archives have been made and verified. Data-protection is the reason behind the name "Vault."
The optional modules are the Storage Module, which adds 8TB of removable RAID-protected storage; the Review Module, which allows playback of camera-original data, including 4K, on an external monitor through an ACES-compliant color pipeline; and the Archive Module, which allows archiving to dual LTO tapes using LTFS.
Simple or sophisticated workflows can be designed for film productions. For a film with many effects, ASC CDL (Color Decision List) data can be captured using an optional, on-set color management system and recorded with images and other metadata on optional Codex Capture Drives. The created looks can then be applied to the monitor output for review. The color decisions can be presented along with deliverables to display the director's and cinematographer's look preference. Nothing is baked into the original files, so the look can further be used as the basis for additional grading.
For television productions, the first step is to load the camera-original data, and the Vault then guides you through cloning, checking metadata, syncing sound, generating dailies, archiving to external hard drives via SAS or USB connection, and producing a detailed production report. With an optional Archive module, you can also archive to optional LTO tapes. For commercial productions, the Vault provides the benefit of supporting multiple cameras and camera formats. It allows secure cloning of all the formats and simple metadata checking.
The Vault can be used on-set or near-set. Vault Process is compact but almost triples in size when equipped with all optional modules. For such cases, an optional Codex on-set cart can be used for conveniently moving the system from place to place on-set.
- Key Features
- Vault 2 Process is the core module of the Vault 2 system
- Ingest from Codec Capture Drives, REDMAGs, and SxS, AXSM, and CF cards
- Clone original camera data with full redundancy checks
- Check, add, and fix metadata
- Ingest WAV files and sync audio with sub-frame accuracy
- Transcode to dailies formats such Avid DNxHD and Apple ProRes
- Apply LUTs and overlay burn-ins for editorial and media security
- Full ACES workflow from camera through to post production
- Complete production reporting to XML and PDF
- Vault + Alexa
- Codex Vault provides a streamlined workflow for both ARRIRAW and ProRes recorded from the ARRI Alexa to Codex Capture Drives. This allows cloning and also making deliverables such as Avid MXF files for editorial and ProRes and DPX files for VFX.
- Vault + Canon
- The workflow for the C500 begins with the cloning and processing of Canon Cinema RAW files recorded on Codex Capture Drives. Support for CF card ingest additionally allows incorporating footage from the Canon 1D C and C300.
- Vault + RED
- The Vault can archive R3D files from RED drives to external hard drives or, using an optional Codex Archive module, to LTO tapes. With an optional RED ROCKET X card, these files can be processed to create a range of dailies deliverables.
- Vault + Sony
- The Vault supports the Sony F5 and F55's XAVC and SStP formats via SxS card ingest, and Sony RAW files via AXSM card ingest.