The 10x42 Terra ED Binocular from Zeiss combines SCHOTT ED glass elements and a compact weather-sealed housing to create a multi-purpose optic that delivers the image quality and streamlined silhouette worthy of the Carl Zeiss name. The Terra ED is the third binocular line in Zeiss' Sporting Optics catalogue, accompanying their popular Conquest and legendary Victory binoculars under the big top. Zeiss engineers designed the Terra ED for birders and hunters seeking a budget-friendly set of glasses that do not sacrifice twilight performance or functionality.
At the core of Terra ED series optics are fully multicoated SCHOTT ED glass lenses designed to maximize light transmission and render contrast-rich images. Thanks to a space-saving Schmidt-Pechan roof prism design and lightweight composite housing, this binocular weighs less than 2 lbs. Complementing the high-transmission optical path and modest form factor, the Terra ED has a nitrogen-filled housing that provides fogproof performance and submersion tightness to a depth of approximately 3 ft, preparing these binoculars for almost any outdoor observation.
This configuration of the Terra ED binocular features 10x magnification and an immersive 60° apparent viewing angle. These features, in addition to the 14mm eye relief, equip the 10x42 optic for comfortable glassing. These glasses also boast the ability to focus down to less than 6 ft, allowing observers to get up close to the bird or other nearby subject of interest. A textured center focus wheel and twist-up rubber eyecups supply additional handling features that enhance the overall ergonomics of the Terra ED and help make it a full-featured binocular for close to mid-range glassing tasks.
- Optical Performance
- 10x magnification, 42mm objectives
- Fully multicoated optics, Zeiss MC anti-reflective coating
- SCHOTT ED glass elements, Schmidt-Pechan roof prisms
- 60° apparent viewing angle, 330ft (100m) field of view at 1000 yd
- 5.25 ft (1.6m) close focusing distance
- 14mm eye relief
- Use and Handling
- Twist-up rubber eyecups with ±4 diopter correction
- Closed bridge configuration for balanced handling
- Rapid focus center wheel with gripping ridges
- Construction Details
- Nitrogen-filled fogproof / waterproof housing
- Submersible to 100 mbar (approximately 3ft / 1m)
- -14 to 131°F (-26 to 55°C) operating temperature
- 25.4 oz (720g) weight