The Meade German Equatorial Mounting System with StarLock Autoguider and Tripod for LX850 Series Telescopes is a German equatorial mount for the Meade LX850 series Telescopes with StarLock dual imager full-time autoguider. This mounting kit comes with the AutoStar II GoTo system with a library of over 144,000 objects suitable for professional astronomers or astrophotographers.
The LX850 Equatorial Mount, constructed from machined stainless steel and aircraft-grade aluminum, has a solid platform with a 90 lb (40.82 kg) payload capacity and pointing accuracy as good as 1 arcminute. Features include precision roller bearings on each axis, a 1.75” (4.44cm) stainless steel RA shaft, 5.8" (14.73cm) main gears, fine manual adjustment controls on both axes, illuminated reticle output port, telescope to computer USB cable, and AutoStar Suite software. The mount’s main body weight is 55 lb (24.94kg). The tripod’s height can vary from 29 to 45” (73.66 to 114.3cm) and has stainless steel legs with a diameter of 3" (7.62cm). The tripod weighs 36 lb (16.32kg).
The LX850 mount features DC-servo motors on each axis with a maximum slew speed of 3°/second, allowing slewing 180° to the opposite side of the sky in 1 minute. Fine slewing and photographic guiding speeds can be adjusted from 0.01x to 1x sidereal, with faster slewing at 2x, 8x, 16x, or 1/4, 1/2, 1, or 3°/second. The mount and all electronics included in this kit are externally powered by the included 12V Meade Universal Power Supply. An external DC battery or power pack (sold separately) may also be used. The mount includes both mechanical locks and slow-motion manual controls on both the axis if for some reason you found yourself without power. The tripod comes with one 26 lb (11.79kg) stainless steel counterweight. You can add additional counterweights (sold separately) to attach additional payload to the mount. The tripod features 3 anti-vibration pads to reduce vibrations and shorten the damp-down time.
The mount comes with the StarLock autoguider that makes target acquisition on your imaging sensor and accurate guiding during exposures completely automatic. With the LightSwitch technology at its core, the StarLock autoguider uses an 80mm f/5 optic and a 2-camera sensor system to provide computer-assisted polar alignment using the drift method. Once aligned, the autoguider guides the mount in real time, and even automatically programs periodic error correction. Thus, the autoguider achieves a guiding accuracy of up to 1 arcsecond in good seeing, and has the capability of guiding on stars as faint as the 11th magnitude. The StarLock autoguider requires no calibration, user focusing, or guide star selection.
- Mount body machined from solid 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum and stainless steel
- Anodized aluminum and stainless steel finish
- AutoStar II Handbox is used to command the telescope to automatically slew to objects in the night sky
- Permanent Periodic Error Correction: Correction is retained in AutoStar's memory
- Handbox holder provides a convenient place to place your AutoStar II box, and keeps it at the ready
- StarLock Narrow Field OTA: Narrow field optics are used to guide the LX850 StarLock System
- StarLock Widefield OTA is used to orient the telescope in relation to the sky
- Telescope control panel with on / off switch, 12VDC power connector, electronic focus port, illuminated reticle port, 12VDC output, Handbox port, RS232 port, StarLock port, and auxiliary autoguider port
- Double line, 16 character LCD; 20 backlit LED buttons
- Semi-automatic drift align procedure for precise polar alignment
- Azimuth adjustment knob
- Azimuth lock bolts
- Latitude adjustment and lock knobs
- Altitude scale allows you set the latitude of the observing site using the latitude adjustment knob
- GPS sensor can be used to get the precise date, time, and location of your observing site using global positioning satellites
- DC servo motors with encoders on both axes
- RA drive helps precisely move the telescope around the RA axis
- Dovetail rail safety bolt
- Dovetail Adapter Attachment Rails: The mount's dovetail adapter will accept the Losmandy style dovetails
- Carry handles to help move the LX850 mount from one location to another
- Leg Lock: Locks leg extension in place
- Spreader Bar: Rigidly holds legs open
- Tension Hub: Locates extension arms
- Extension Arms: Locates tripod legs
- Anti-vibration pads to reduce vibrations and shorten damp-down time