The LX850 Telescope System with German Equatorial Mount and StarLock from Meade Instruments consists of a 14” f/8 Advanced Coma-Free (ACF) Optical Tube Assembly (OTA), Starlock Dual Imager Full-Time Autoguider, AutoStar II GoTo System, a German Equatorial Mount, and a heavy-duty tripod.
The LX850 Telescope’s OTA features 14” f/8 ACF optics with high-contrast baffling that allows for a wider, flatter field and ensures that pinpoint star images are visible even at the very edge of the field of view. Meade’s UHTC (Ultra-High Transmission Coatings) on the OTA optics reduce light loss through reflection or transmission, and allow for high image brightness and contrast. Thanks to the ACF optics, this telescope ensures reduction in astigmatism and elimination of diffraction spikes. The LX850 telescope comes with the HD-60 25mm Eyepiece that has a large, 60° apparent field of view (AFOV) and a long eye relief for effortless, comfortable observation.
The OTA of the telescope system is held in its place by the precision-machined, heavy-duty German Equatorial Mount. This mount is built using high-quality stainless steel and aircraft grade 6061-T6 aluminum alloy for durability. The mount comes with Meade’s Starlock full-time autoguider that is capable of capturing even a faint 11th magnitude star.
The telescope comes with the Autostar II GoTo system that can command it to automatically slew to any of the 144,000 objects in its library. Other features include a GPS receiver, precision roller bearings on both axes, precision pointing and assisted drift alignment, 5.8" 225-tooth polished bronze worm/gear drives with low periodic error, fine manual adjustment controls on both axes, illuminated reticle output port, and internal cable routing. Three 26 lb counterweights that come with the mount help balance the OTA’s weight. The mount is capable of handling a payload of up to 90 lb.
The whole system is mounted on a steady tripod that features 3” thick legs. The height of the tripod is fully adjustable from 29 to 45".
Note: It is advisable that the 14" OTA is mounted by 2 people due to its large weight and size.
Optical Tube Assembly
- 14", f/8 ACF optical system produces wider, flatter fields with no coma for pinpoint stars out to the edge of large imaging sensors or extreme wide-angle eyepieces
- Internal Crayford-style, zero image-shift primary mirror focus with dual speed 7:1 focus control that eliminates image shift and mirror flop
- Crayford-style focusing knobs allow you to move the telescope's primary mirror in a finely-controlled motion to achieve precise image focus
- Telescope system can be focused on objects from a distance of about 200' (60.96m) to infinity
- 8 x 50mm viewfinder is a wide-field sighting scope with crosshairs that enable easy centering of objects in the telescope eyepiece
- Adjustment of the included viewfinder collimation screws lets you align the viewfinder, so you can view any region of the sky you want to
- 2" star diagonal with 1.25" adapter holds the eyepiece upright for easy viewing and provides a more comfortable right-angle viewing position, eliminating any back aches due to prolonged observation
- ACF collimation adjustment screws can be used to fine tune the OTA's optical alignment
- Low-expansion borosilicate glass primary mirror
- Low-expansion borosilicate glass secondary mirror is individually configured with a primary mirror for minimum correction
- Correcting Plate/Lens: Aspheric high-spectral transmission Borofloat glass from Schott AG, Germany
- Zero image shift micro-focuser is used for precision remote focusing
German Equatorial Mount
- Mount body is machined from solid 6061-T6 aircraft-grade anodized aluminum and stainless steel
- AutoStar II Handbox can be used to command the telescope to automatically slew to any object in the night sky
- Handbox holder provides a convenient place to store your AutoStar II box and keeps it close at hand for easy access
- Starlock Permanent Periodic Error Correction allows for correction retention in the AutoStar's memory until it is overwritten
- StarLock Narrow Field OTA can be used to precisely guide the LX850 StarLock system
- StarLock Widefield OTA allows you to orient the telescope in relation to the sky
- Control panel comes with an on / off switch, 12VDC power connector, electronic focus port, illuminated reticle eyepiece port, 12VDC output, handbox port, RS232 port, StarLock port, auxiliary autoguider port
- Double line, 16-character LCD and 20 backlit LED buttons
- Semi-automatic drift align procedure allows for precise polar alignment
- Latitude adjustment and lock knobs as well as azimuth adjustment knob and lock bolts
- Altitude Scale allows you set the latitude of the observing site using the latitude adjustment knob
- GPS sensor can be used to get precise date, time, and location of your observing site using global positioning satellites
- DC servo motors come with encoders on both axes
- RA drive helps you precisely move the telescope around the RA axis
- Dovetail Rail Safety Bolt is included for securely attaching the safety knob
- Dovetail Adapter Attachment Rails: LX850 dovetail adapter accepts both the Losmandy- and Vixen-style dovetails
- Carry handles can be used to help move the LX850 mount from one location to another
- Leg lock can be used for locking the leg extension in place
- Spreader bar rigidly holds legs open
- Extension arms ensure that the tripod legs remain in the set position
- Tension hub ensures that the tension in the extension arms is uniform and they remain stretched in the set position
- Anti-vibration pads reduce vibrations and shorten damp-down time