The Joemeek preQ 500 Preamplifier is engineered using a high-quality Cinemag microphone transformer and low-noise Burr Brown audiophile amplifiers throughout the signal path. Simple to use yet powerful, this preamplifier will give the gloss of a professional studio production to all your recordings. It is also suitable for live performances.
Microphones need rather a lot of amplification and also need to be connected to low-impedance inputs, while instruments need less amplification and prefer high-impedance inputs. To ensure correct impedance matching, the inputs are separated into a balanced XLR connector for microphones and an unbalanced 1/4" jack instrument connector.
- The Preamp GAIN knob allows you to set the amount of audio amplification. Too little gain makes the sound too quiet, while too much gain makes the signal distorted.
- Peak Program Meter displays the maximum audio level in dB relative to the 4 dBu operating level.
- The 48V phantom power switch feeds 48V to the rear-panel XLR connector in order to power condenser microphones.
- The PAD switch selects 25 dB attenuation of the microphone (XLR) input.
- The ∅ switch reverses the phase of all inputs.
- DE-S is a classic optical De-Esser that reduces the impact of "S" and "T" sibilance. The rotary control sets the threshold above which gain reduction is applied to the "Ess" sound and the red LED lights when gain reduction is taking place. The HI switch concentrates operation at a higher pitch.
- The HPF (High-Pass Filter) is mainly for use with microphones. It helps remove low-frequency rumble and handling noise. You can press the ON switch for steep attenuation of input frequencies below that set by the rotary control.
- The INSTRUMENT Input is a high-impedance input for guitars and other high-impedance instruments. Plugging in here overrides anything plugged into the rear panel XLR input.
- RoHS complaint