The KP3+ from Korg is a real-time effects unit/sampler and features a touchpad that allows a user to easily control multiple effects and parameters by simply stroking, tapping, or rubbing the touch pad with their finger. The unit contains 150 effects ideal for remixing, DJ and live music applications, and in-studio use, and includes filters, spatial-type effects such as delay and reverb, a grain shifter that freezes tiny pieces of sound and repeats them, and a vocoder.
Included in this effects list are forty-two new effects such as Vinyl Break for simulating the use of a turntable, a Ducking Compressor to emphasize backbeats, a newly designed looper that allows for freely manipulating loops, and a selection of effects to use as fills during breakdowns in a DJ performance. Echo Break and Reverb Break mute the input sound and generate delay or reverb, ideal ways to fill/create these breaks. Also enhanced are the synthesizer sound effects that are effective when used during a break, bringing them up to date for the evolving dance music scene.
Other added effects include the Center Canceler for partial vocal cancellation. The FX Release function automatically adds a delay to smoothly blend the effect when releasing the touchpad. The Mute function cuts the input sound, leaving only the reverb or other effect sound. Pad Motion allows for recording and playing back the finger movements on the touchpad. Additionally, eight program memories can be used to instantly select favorite effect programs, and a Hold effect that sustains the effect even after the finger is released from the touchpad.
The enhanced sampling functionality combines the use of multiple effects and samples. Four sample banks are available, with each capable of recording a sample up to 13 seconds long. Samples can be played either as a one-shot or loop. Start point adjustment can create a half-beat shift to create "doubled" effects, and a slice function edits a loop sample to instantly create completely new phrases. Re-sampling with an effect is available. Samples can be triggered in four different ways and the volume of each sample bank can be adjusted.
The pad LEDs illuminate along the finger path, aiding performance in a dimly lit environment. MIDI In/Out jacks and a USB port make it easy to control external MIDI devices. Loop data and user settings such as programs can be stored on SD/SDHC cards. A downloadable software editor is also available, providing sample data librarian management as well as MIDI assignment.
- Use the touchpad to control effects in real-time
- 150 effects ideal for DJ mixing and sound design
- High-spec sampling functionality
- FX Release function controls the reverberation to produce a more natural decay
- Mute function cuts the input signal and outputs only the effect sound
- Pad Motion function records and reproduces your effect usage
- Eight program memories allows for switching effects instantly
- Hold function sustains the effect sound
- Set the tempo with auto BPM, tap tempo, or the BPM knob
- Pad LEDs ensure high visibility even in the dark
- USB MIDI allows for use as a MIDI controller
- Store sample data on an SD/SDHC card
- Dedicated editor software for centralized management of sample data and settings