The Fujifilm FinePix S8400W Digital Camera features a 16 megapixel 1/2.3" Back-Side-Illuminated CMOS sensor that is able to produce high quality imagery with notable low-light sensitivity. High speed performance is afforded throughout the system, enabling fast continuous shooting up to 10 full resolution frames per second and an auto focusing speed of 0.3 second. Full HD 1080i video capabilities are also supported at a frame rate of 60fps.
An incredibly long 44x optical zoom lens is also built into the S8400W's design, giving a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-1056mm. This range can be effectively doubled through the use of Intelligent Digital Zoom, and a lens-shift image stabilization system benefits shooting at such magnifications by reducing the appearance of camera shake.
Both a rear 3.0" 460k-dot LCD monitor and 201k-dot electronic viewfinder are available for monitoring and image review. The LCD monitor provides a large, bright area ideal for scrolling through imagery while the electronic viewfinder provides eye-level viewing capabilities an additional point of contact between yourself and the camera to offer greater shooting stability.
Amongst other features and imaging modes available, SR AUTO (Automatic Scene Recognition) can automatically determine the scene type you are working in and choose from one of six pre-determined sets of exposure profiles to optimize your results. Six different Advanced Filters are also available to further enhance the look and feel of your photographs. Additionally, the S8400W features built-in wireless connectivity to enable direct transferring of images between the camera and iOS or Android devices for instant sharing online. The wireless ability also provides the option to automatically backup imagery to your home PC via the included software.
- Fujinon 44x Optical Zoom Lens
- A super-long 44x optical zoom lens is integrated into the FinePix S8400W's design, giving a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-1056mm. This lens has a maximum aperture of f/2.9-6.5 and utilizes lens-shift type optical image stabilization to counter the effects of camera shake that become more apparent when working with longer focal lengths and in Super Macro mode. Aspherical and ED lens elements are incorporated into the lens construction to reduce aberrations and color fringing throughout the zoom range. For even greater reach, Intelligent Digital Zoom is available and can effectively double the zoom magnification to 88x.
- 16MP BSI CMOS Sensor and Full HD 1080i Video
The 16 megapixel 1/2.3" backside-illuminated CMOS sensor is able to deliver high resolution imagery with tremendous quality and notable low-light performance. High speed shooting capabilities up to 10 full resolution frames per second are available as well as a fast 1.0 second startup time, 0.5 second shooting interval time, and a 0.3 second focusing time.
The sensor also lends itself to producing full HD videos up to 1920 x 1080i at 60fps in the H.264 format. Full 44x zoom, scene recognition mode, and still image capture capabilities are available during recording as well as the ability to record high speed movies up to 480fps. Video playback is possible on an HDTV directly from the camera through an HDMI connection.
- Built-In Wireless Connectivity
- Wireless connectivity is built into the camera and allows for instant sharing of images directly to an Android or iOS mobile device. The Fujifilm Camera App allows you to browse the image contents of your camera from your mobile device and transfer up to 30 images at a time between devices. Wi-Fi connectivity also allows you to automatically backup your files to your home PC via the Fujifilm PC AutoSave software included with the camera.
- 3.0" LCD Monitor and Electronic Viewfinder
- The S8400W is equipped with both a rear 3.0" 460k-dot LCD monitor and an eye-level electronic viewfinder for monitoring and reviewing imagery. The electronic viewfinder has a 201k-dot resolution and a built-in eye sensor to deactivate the larger LCD monitor during use. The EVF enables eye-level shooting, which provides an additional point of contact to better aid in steadying your camera while shooting.
- Other Camera Features
- SR AUTO can automatically apply one of six scene modes (Portrait, Landscape, Night, Macro, Night Portrait, or Backlit Portrait) to your image to optimize camera settings to best expose for the type of scenario you are photographing in.
- The inclusion of a slide-lever zoom control, one-touch movie record button, and ergonomic camera grip give this camera an immense amount of efficiency through physical design.
- Manual exposure modes (P/A/S/M) are available to give you more creative control over the exposure settings.
- Scene Position modes are selectable modes that can be used to ensure the camera is correctly exposing for the type of subject matter you are photographing. Modes include: Portrait, Baby Mode, Smile & Shoot, Landscape, Sport, Night, Night (Tripod), Fireworks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Party, Flower, and Text.
- Six Advanced Filters are incorporated to further enhance the aesthetic quality of imagery, including: Pop Color, Toy Camera, Miniature, Partial Color (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple), Soft Focus, and Cross Screen.
- Motion Panorama 360 allows you to record expansive views up to 360° wide in a seamless, sweeping manner.
- Individual Shutter 3D captures two exposures of the same scene and saves them together in the MPO file format in order to produce an image that mimics a stereo image process.
- Dynamic Range (HDR) uses multi frame technology to capture three consecutive images of the same scene (one over-exposed, one under-exposed, and one normally-exposed) and combines the three into a single image in order to garner more highlight and shadow detail than is possible with a single exposure.
- Zoom bracketing mode records three sequential images to be taken at varying magnifications to provide you with different compositions of the same subject.
- Natural Light & with Flash automatically records two images (one with flash, one without) for those instances where you can't decide the better way to photograph in darker situations.
- Face Detection optimizes photographs of people by detecting and biasing exposure and focus settings on up to 10 faces present within the scene.
- Built-in social networking allows you to pre-tag and label images and video in-camera prior to offloading the imagery to your computer. Once tagged and delegated to the social platform of your choice, the images will be automatically uploaded once you connect the camera to your computer.