The Schoeps CCM 41 S LG Supercardioid Compact Condensor Microphone for Close Pickup offers a high frequency response and a wide range of applications. It has enhanced directivity and attenuates reverberant sound. It is also less prone to feedback. The rolloff of its low-frequency response is offset by proximity effect at close working distances.
The supercardioid microphone has enhanced directional effect (from low to midrange frequencies) of any first-order pressure gradient transducer. The response 90° off-axis is -10 dB. Also, the polar diagram is consistent at all frequencies, which means that regardless of its direction of origin, sound will be picked up free of unwanted coloration. For this reason, the supercardioid microphone is the preferred type of microphone for dialog recording in film and video sound, particularly indoors.
This compact microphone consists of 2 main components, an acoustic transducer (a capsule) and a microphone amplifier, which come together in the same body. The capsule is the component which converts sound waves into a varying electrical voltage. It determines the directionality and, for the most part, the sound quality of the microphone. The amplifier is the other main component, with the circuitry required to accept external powering, polarizes (charges) the capacitive capsule, obtains the audio signal from it, and converts that signal into one which is balanced and low-impedance. The circuitry of the microphone features a balanced, class-A output stage which does not use either coupling condensers or an output transformer. This leads to low output impedance, insensitivity to electrical interference, low distortion, and light weight.
This microphone has a bass roll-off filter with a low cut-off frequency of 20 Hz and a slope of 12 dB/oct. This frequency has been chosen to protect against perturbing, inaudible (infra-) sound that can be caused by ventilation systems, track vehicles, and wind. Although it is hardly noticeable, infrasound can cause strong audible distortions in the connected equipment when it leads to an overload. This would make it impossible to produce a recording that could be used. The audio range also only starts at around 20 Hz. Lower frequencies are only actually discernible at high levels which are only reproducible on few audio systems, and then quickly become unpleasant.
The CCM 41 S LG microphone is an electrically active component requiring operating current. It uses a standardized powering scheme known as phantom powering. Most recording equipment offers a 48V supply for such microphones. Some equipment, however, provides a 12V supply for phantom powering, or can readily be modified for such a supply. The CCM compact microphone can work with either voltage, switching its circuitry automatically to the corresponding mode of operation. It maintains the same level of performance in either mode while drawing only the necessary amount of current from the phantom supply.
- Supercardioid directional pattern
- For pickup of speech or music at close range (under 19.2" (50cm))
- High directivity microphone up through midrange frequencies
- Has an extremely flat frequency response
- Has low noise and distortion
- Has a balanced, low-impedance output via removable 16.4' (5.0m) cable, Lemo to XLR-3M connector
- Designed for universal use
- Small and light
- Designed for music and speech
- Often preferred for use in film sound recording and as a spot microphone in orchestras
- Classic condenser microphones that does not require electronic frequency response correction
- Runs on both 12V and 48V phantom feed power supplies
- Can be used with very long cables (over 328' (100m))
- The Lemo disconnect allows for use of special accessories (some similar to Active components of the Colette Series)
- Polar pattern highly uniform throughout the frequency range
- Considerable attenuation of low frequencies, excellent suppression of ambient noise
- Speech capsule with strong suppression of diffuse sound
- True condensers, eliminating the requirement of electronic frequency response correction
- Matte gray non-reflective surface finish