Wavelab Elements 8 from Steinberg is an audio editing, mastering, restoration, or podcast creation application for both Mac and Windows based computers. It includes proven analysis tools taken from its larger sibling, and provides a selection of restoration and mastering plug-ins, a CD burning engine, and much more, all accessible through an intuitive user interface.
Two plug-ins are featured that can help push audio projects to perfection. A Tube Compressor shapes the dynamics of signals very precisely while also adding the "color" usually associated with warm and rich compression. A Brickwall Limiter protects recordings from unwanted peaks, perfect for achieving the hottest signal without clipping the recording.
Other improvements include an auto-replay function, which automatically re-triggers the playback right after an edit has been made, and a simplified envelope selection to speed up the editing process, to name just two. The software introduces a plug-in chain window that hosts all of the inserted track or master plug-ins in a single, easy-to-access area. This facilitates quick switching between different plug-ins. A plug-in settings dialog allows for grouping and sorting plug-ins by manufacturer, category and favorites.
In addition to consolidating record, play, stop, loop, jog, shuttle, selections, marker, or play-to and play-from functions into a new transport panel, a status window in the panel shows time position, Timecode, samples, and bars and beats. For ultra-precise editing operations, waveform zooming in 16-bit float quality makes it possible to cut and trim clips or insert fades with the highest accuracy.
The software provides metadata support for file formats such as ID3 v2 and CART - add information about the artist, pictures, copyright, engineer's name, date and much more to audio files, plus various other technical details to enable a flawless working process with any CD manufacturer. An improved help system allows the user to start using the software right away - placing the mouse pointer over a program area brings up the integrated help viewer.
- Complete audio editing and mastering software, tailored to hobby musicians, radio freelancers and home studio owners
- Studio-grade brickwall limiter and tube compressor to improve the quality of recordings
- Enhanced editing workflow with volume clip handles and auto-replay option
- Transport panel for fast and easy navigation through the project
- Assign custom audio outputs for monitoring each recorded channel
- Plug-in management and organization for simplified overview on all plug-ins used within the project
- High-resolution 16-bit float waveform zooming for ultra-fast and precise editing operations
- Toggle between auditioning the recorded signal and the playback signal for quick progress checks
- Audio Montage improvements, featuring the new master plug-in section and drag-and-drop support for files of any sample rate
- Metadata support for multiple formats
- Extended in-application help system to get started right away
- Over fifty improvements to the user interface, CD burning, editing, recording and many others