The 15.4" MacBook Pro Notebook Computer from Apple is a powerful notebook computer with an innovative, ultrathin, ultraportable aluminum unibody design. It is loaded with advanced power management features and an integrated lithium polymer battery, which work together to provide up to 7 hours of wireless web browsing.
This MacBook Pro features a widescreen LED-backlit display with a 16:10 aspect ratio and a high-res 1680 x 1050 native resolution. The screen also sports an anti-glare finish. You'll be able to output up to two external displays at up to 2560 x 1600 via Thunderbolt (mini DisplayPort). Any Mini DisplayPort-compatible display will plug in without the need of an adapter.
The system is powered by a quad-core Ivy Bridge 2.6GHz Intel Core i7 processor. The computer is loaded with 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L RAM, a 750GB 7200rpm hard drive and an SDXC media card slot. You'll be able to connect to the Internet with ease via 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi. The MacBook Pro also features built-in Bluetooth 4.0, which allows you to connect wireless headphones, keyboard, mice and other compatible peripherals without a hassle. There is also a slot-loading SuperDrive for CD and DVD burning capabilities.
Graphics are handled by a hybrid graphics system. For graphic-intensive applications, this MacBook Pro uses the dedicated nVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics card with 1GB of discrete GDDR5 memory, which is 60% faster than previous Apple MacBook Pro models. The GeForce GT 650M also has nVIDIA Optimus technology, which switches over to the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 when high-performance visuals are not needed in order to save battery life.
This MacBook Pro has a Thunderbolt port, a high-speed interface that can move data at an amazing 10Gbps, which is double that of USB 3.0. Speaking of USB 3.0, Apple has finally decided to embrace it. This MacBook Pro now features two USB 3.0 ports so you no longer have to buy an adapter, but can use USB 3.0-compliant devices natively as well.
The computer features a comfortable backlit chiclet-style keyboard, which features space between each key for improved accuracy and comfort when typing. It also sports a glass Multi-Touch trackpad with a clickable design. Rather than having a separate button for mouse clicks, the entire surface of the pad is clickable. This increases the active surface area and allows you to quickly click without having to maneuver to the bottom of the trackpad.
The trackpad also fully supports multi-touch gestures. You can tap the trackpad with one finger to click, tap with two fingers to right click, scroll through documents using two fingers, pinch to zoom, navigate through Safari or iPhoto with three-finger left and right swipes or use two fingers to rotate a photo or PDF.
iLife '11 has a complete suite of digital creativity applications. Easy enough for anyone to use, iLife '11 will help you edit your home movies, organize digital photos and compose original music. iLife '11 includes iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand.
The 64-bit Mac OS X features Time Machine backup, which automatically backs up system data to an external hard drive. It also features intuitive Cover Flow navigation, the powerful Spotlight search tool and Quick Look document preview. You'll be able to use Boot Camp to run Windows on your Mac, if needed.
- Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7
- The third-generation Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge processor with a state-of-the-art 22-nanometer single-die microarchitecture in this MacBook Pro provides amazing quad-core performance. Hyper-Threading technology allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core. And with speeds up to 2.6GHz, 6MB of shared L3 cache, and Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6GHz, this processor is great for running professional applications like Aperture and Final Cut Pro
- High-Res LED-Backlit Display
- This MacBook Pro features a high-res LED-backlit display with an anti-glare finish. The screen also has a 16:10 aspect ratio and a 1680 x 1050 native resolution. You'll also be able to output video to an external display via the Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt)
- Long-Lasting Battery
- The built-in 77.5-watt-hour battery gives you up to 7 hours runtime, 1000 full charge and discharge cycles, and up to 30 days of instant-on standby time. That means you can put your MacBook Pro to sleep, and it'll come back on instantly - after a day, a week, or even a month
- Next-Gen nVIDIA Graphics
- Based on a next-generation Kepler architecture with 1GB of dedicated video memory, the nVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GPU provides up to 60 percent faster graphics performance than previous MacBook Pro notebook computers. It delivers enough power to output to two external displays, all while making the most graphics-intensive tasks, like rendering HD video and editing RAW photography, fast, fluid and incredibly lifelike
- Ports and Connections
- Thunderbolt is the fastest, most versatile I/O port available, and this notebook has two of them. That's a huge advantage when you need to connect to just about anything, whether it's connecting to external displays, RAID arrays or video capture devices. Combine that with two USB 3.0 ports and an SDXC card slot, you can build an entire professional studio with the MacBook Pro as its centerpiece
- Stay Connected
- Meet the ultimate mobile creative studio with the emphasis on mobile. Equipped with the latest three-stream 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology, you're free to unplug and still stay connected to your network, to your wireless peripherals and to the world
- Audio and Visual
- For something so thin and light, the built-in speakers have a surprisingly wide dynamic range, an optimal balance and a crisp, expressive quality. Dual built-in microphones are great for when you want to be heard. If you're making a FaceTime call, for example, the mics reduce background noise from behind the notebook
- Multi-Touch Trackpad and Backlit Keyboard
- In Mac OS X, Multi-Touch is an essential part of how you interact with your Mac. Using realistic, intuitive gestures, you can switch between apps, navigate your content and get the most out of your desktop space. The MacBook Pro features a Multi-Touch trackpad with a large, all-glass button surface. So you can tap, pinch, swipe and click away comfortably. A built-in sensor detects changes in ambient light and adjusts the keyboard brightness automatically
- iCloud stores your content and lets you access your music, photos, calendars, contacts, documents and more from which ever device you're on. So you'll be able to access your photos, reminders, notes, music and videos from your iOS devices right on this MacBook Pro
- Precisely Engineered
- This MacBook Pro features high-efficiency fans. The asymmetrically spaced impeller blades with back and side airflow vents work together to move the maximum amount of air while reducing tonal impact. Custom stereo speakers provide high-fidelity sound, a wide dynamic range, and good bass response. The dual microphones are precisely oriented under the speaker grille and use an adaptive beam-forming algorithm to reduce background noise and optimize performance
- Ultrathin and Ultraportable
- This MacBook Pro is ultrathin and ultraportable, resembling more of a MacBook Air than a MacBook Pro; it is 0.71" thin and weighs less than 5 pounds
- Electrical and Operating Requirements
- This MacBook Pro supports 100-240V AC with 50/60Hz frequency. It can operate at a temperature from 50 to 95°F (10 to 35°C) and an altitude of 10,000 feet. It can be stored at a temperature from -13 to 113°F (-24 to 45°C) and an altitude of 15,000 feet. It can also stand a relative humidity range of 0 to 90% (noncondensing)
- Dot for dot, more of your image can fit on the screen - which makes editing photos far more precise. With an ultrafast Thunderbolt port, two USB 3.0 ports and an SDXC card slot, you can build a photo studio around this MacBook Pro. Or take it with you and import thousands of RAW images on location - up to five times faster than on a standard MacBook Pro. Once your photos are on your computer, editing in Aperture is faster and more responsive than ever before. And high-speed flash storage lets you quickly browse large image libraries from internal storage. So you have instant access to any photo in your library
- Design and Layout
- With an anti-glare finish and a high-res 1680 x 1050 native resolution, this display is the ideal place to see your work. High-performance graphics and processors let you render images and apply filters with incredible speed. And thanks to superfast 1600MHz memory, you can access and edit large-format files much faster than on a traditional notebook
Mac OS X
- Hardware and Software
- Since the software on every Mac is created by the same company that makes the Mac, you get a fully integrated system in which everything works together perfectly. OS X works with the processor in your Mac to deliver the best possible performance. The Multi-Touch trackpad on every Mac notebook gives you more than enough space to pinch, swipe, and tap your way around most of the apps on your system. OS X gives you long battery life by dimming the screen in low-light conditions and even regulating processor activity between keystrokes
- Interact with Your Computer in a Whole New Way
- Tap, scroll, pinch, and swipe using Multi-Touch gestures, directly controlling what's on your screen in a more fluid, natural, and intuitive way. When you scroll down on your trackpad or Magic Mouse, your document scrolls down. When you scroll up, your web page scrolls up. When you swipe left, your photos move left. And there are many more gestures that make all you do on your Mac the best experience you can have on a computer
- Easy to Use
- From the desktop you see when you start up your Mac to the applications you use every day, everything is designed to be simple and intuitive. It works seamlessly with iCloud to keep your music, photos, calendars, and more up to date across all your devices
- Find, Organize and Share Files Fast
- The Finder gives you easy access to all the files on your system. It lets you find, organize and access practically everything on your Mac - including applications, files, folders, discs, and shared computers on your network. You can sort files by kind, application, date modified, date added, or size. But with so many files on your computer, finding a specific one can be a challenge. Not on a Mac. Features like Spotlight and Quick Look make locating the file you're looking for effortless - even if you don't know the filename. And with Quick Look, you don't need to open an application to verify that you've found the right file - view a full-screen preview by hitting the space bar. Want to share a file with someone nearby? Just drag and drop to send it to the person wirelessly with AirDrop
- See Everything Running on Your Mac Instantly
- OS X offers system wide support for gorgeous, full-screen apps that use every inch of your Mac display. You can have multiple full-screen apps open at once - along with multiple apps in windows. And it's easy to switch between full-screen and desktop views. Mission Control gives you a bird's-eye view of all your windows and full-screen apps, and allows you to instantly navigate among them
- Auto Save
- Auto Save automatically saves your work while you work, without you having to do a thing. Versions creates a new version of a document each time you open it and every hour while you're working. It saves only the differences between successive versions, so the impact on your disk drive is minimal. Just open Versions to see the current document next to a cascade of previous versions. You can copy and paste between versions or revert to an earlier version. And when you share a document, you share only the most recent copy
- iPhoto is an easy-to-use photo application that makes it fast and fun to organize and find your pictures, as well as make them look their absolute best. With features like Faces, Places, and Events, iPhoto helps you keep track of your photos by who's in them and when and where you took them - all in an immersive full-screen view. Quick and simple editing tools let you make so-so shots picture perfect with just a few clicks. Photo Stream in iCloud automatically pushes new photos to all your devices, so you're never without your latest shots. And if you feel like showing off what you've captured, iPhoto lets you share with beautiful photo books and letterpress cards or online via Facebook and Flickr
- With iMovie, you can transform the videos you shoot into your very own indie flicks. If you know how to drag and drop, you can make a movie in iMovie. It comes with Apple-designed themes that look fun and professional. Just choose one and iMovie does the rest, adding animated titles and sophisticated transitions automatically. Customize your screen gem further with your own words and audio
- Whether you're musically gifted or mostly curious, GarageBand is the application for you. Plug in your electric guitar or USB music keyboard and get ready to rock with virtual replicas of the most revered amps and stompboxes in the world, as well as over 100 software instruments. Just because you didn't grow up learning your A, B, and C sharp doesn't mean you can't. Basic Lessons teach you just that: the basics. Choose from 40 lessons that cover blues guitar, rock guitar, classical piano, pop piano, and more. Or get a private lesson from one of your musical heroes, like Sting or Death Cab for Cutie, with Artist Lessons. GarageBand even tells you how well you're playing in real time with a feature called "How Did I Play?"
- Mac App Store
- Just like shopping the App Store on iPad, the Mac App Store offers endless possibilities to browse and purchase apps. New apps install in one step right to Launchpad. And the Mac App Store lets you know when app updates are available, so you always have the latest version
- Designed with the Mac in mind, Safari emphasizes browsing, not the browser. In full-screen view, the browser frame is only a pixel wide, and you can hide almost the entire interface if you choose. So there's nothing to distract you from an article, video, or photo album. Navigating web pages is easy with trackpad gestures; flip through web pages with a swipe, and double tap or pinch the trackpad to zoom in on text or images. Safari also features Reader, which lets you peruse articles sans annoying ads. Don't have time to finish what you've started? Reading List lets you save links to articles and other web pages for later, and iCloud keeps your Reading List up to date across all your devices. Since pages render fast in Safari, you won't miss a minute of the web
- Mail makes it easy to manage all your email from a single, ad-free inbox. It features powerful search capabilities, with search suggestions and tokens built in. It works with the free me.com email account you get when you sign up for iCloud, as well as most email standards - including POP3 and IMAP - and popular email services such as Gmail, Comcast, Time Warner, Charter, Cox, Yahoo! Mail, and AOL Mail. Mail supports Microsoft Exchange 2010, too. If you have more than one email account, no problem. Add your accounts to Mail and you'll be able to access all your email from one place. And Mail looks as great as it works. It makes full use of your display with a gorgeous widescreen view featuring a full-height message and a message list that includes snippets. With Conversations, messages from the same thread appear in an elegant timeline showing each communication as it was sent while hiding redundant text
- Keep track of your busy schedule and share it with others using iCal. Create separate calendars - one for home, another for school, a third for work, and so on. See all your calendars in a single window or choose to see only the calendars you want. iCal lets you create invitations using contact information from your Address Book, update your guest list, keep track of responses, and receive the latest status information. When you or another Mac user receives an iCal invitation via Mail, it's automatically added. iCal also works with iCloud, Yahoo and Google. And when you use iCloud, every iCal edit you make on your Mac automatically appears on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
- Address Book
- With Address Book you have a flexible and convenient place to store contact information for everyone you know. You can import names, numbers, addresses and photos from other applications; create smart groups for clubs, activities, and business purposes; print address labels and envelopes; and more. iCloud updates your contacts on your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac - so when you enter someone's contact info once, you have it everywhere. And since Address Book is built on vCard, an industry standard for storing contact information, your friends can send you cards that you can add simply by dropping them in - no typing required
- Time Machine
- Time Machine works with your Mac and an external hard drive (sold separately) or Time Capsule. Connect the drive, assign it to Time Machine, and start enjoying some peace of mind. Time Machine automatically backs up your entire Mac, including system files, applications, accounts, preferences, music, photos, movies, and documents. But what makes Time Machine different from other backup applications is that it not only keeps a spare copy of every file, it remembers how your system looked on any given day - so you can revisit your Mac as it appeared in the past
- FaceTime for Mac makes it possible to talk, smile, and laugh with anyone on an iPad, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPod touch, or another Mac from your Mac. And when someone tries to reach you, the call rings through on every Mac you own, even if FaceTime isn't running. So you never have to worry about making yourself available. If you don't want to receive calls, just turn FaceTime off in preferences. FaceTime is integrated with your Address Book so you can initiate chats easily
- Photo Booth
- Take photo snapshots and video clips with your Mac using Photo Booth. Send them to your friends, use one as an iChat icon, add them to your Address Book, or organize and edit them in iPhoto. The real fun starts when you use the effects and backdrops in Photo Booth. Choose from nine effects that use facial tracking technology so effects look great whether you're front and center - or left of center. Snap single photos or shoot multiples in a four-photo burst. You can even shoot video clips, complete with effects, then trim them right in Photo Booth and send them to friends and family. And since Photo Booth can be viewed full screen, you'll enjoy every detail down to the last pixel