Sony's 96GB HDR-PJ790E HD Handycam with Projector in black is a Full HD 1920 x 1080 video camera designed for European Video Standards, that shoots at either 60 or 25 progressive frames per second and stores the video on its 96GB of internal flash memory. The camera also features a 24P mode, for shooting at the international Cinema standard of 24 fps. The camcorder features BIONZ image processor and a back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor for improved low light sensitivity. The video camera features a wide-angle Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 10x zoom lens and a lens hood to help protect against flares. Sony's Balanced Optical SteadyShot image stabilization system with Active Mode provides for improved camera shake reduction and smooth moving images. Features such as zebra bars, expanded focus, and peaking, provide for greater exposure and focus control. A color electronic viewfinder is included along with a 3.0" flip out touchscreen LCD.
The HDR-PJ790E includes CinemaTone gamma presets to provide a more cinematic feel to your video than you can achieve when shooting with standard video gamma settings. You can also take 24.1MP still photos while simultaneously shooting HD video (in some modes). You can choose from AVCHD or MP4 formats for image quality or smaller file sizes depending on your needs.
Built-in to the camera is a top mounted 5.1 channel surround sound microphone, and a manually adjustable audio level control and an Advanced Sound Processor allow improved audio recording. A dedicated headphone jack provides consistent audio monitoring while an external mic jack allows the camera to accept audio input from an optional external mic.
The HDR-PJ790E also includes a built-in projector that allows you project video at up to a 100" diagonal size without having to connect to a playback device. The camera has a dedicated micro HDMI port that allows you to project media from your tablet, phone, laptop or other HDMI enabled device. The camera can automatically create short movies complete with music and transitions based on preset configurations. Copy files from the camera's internal flash memory directly to an external USB drive using a Sony USB cable (external USB drive and cable are optional and sold separately). The camera can also access videos stored on the external drive for playback on an HDTV. The built-in USB connector plugs into a computer for file transfer or camera charging, with two minutes of charge time providing one minute of recording time.
The HDR-PJ790E comes with various automatic features to simplify the shooting process. For example, Tracking Focus works as an extension of Face Detection to allow you to select an object with a touch of the LCD and have the focus follow the selected object, even if it leaves the frame and returns. Additionally when Face Detection identifies people in a scene, the camera engages an acoustic processor to reduce background noise, which combined with the camera's Wind Reduction results in making recorded voices clearer. The HDR-PJ790E includes Sony's Intelligent Auto mode, which analyzes a shot, and automatically selects the appropriate settings from among the available scene modes. Other modes include NightShot, which provides for shooting in complete darkness using infrared and Sony's Golf Shot setting to capture a few seconds of motion as a sequence of high-resolution still photos.
- 1080 25/50p and 24.1MP Still Images
- Create high definition 1920 x 1080 25p/50p videos and high resolution 24.1MP still images. Sony's back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor is designed for compact cameras and camcorders. The sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, which maximizes the light gathering area per pixel and achieves better results in low light conditions. A BIONZ image processor handles image processing. In certain recording modes you can shoot HD video, and capture 24.1MP stills simultaneously.
- 1080 24p
- The HDR-PJ790E also features a 24p mode, which allows you to shoot HD video at 24p, even though the camera is designed to work with the PAL standard. When in 24p mode the camcorder records using NTSC color and EIA standards, as opposed to its normal configuration of PAL color with CCIR standards.
- Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Optical Zoom Lens
- This lens has a 35mm equivalent of 26mm at the wide end of the focal range, and the 10x optical zoom is supported by a 17x extended zoom, with a 120x digital zoom. The lens incorporates a 6-blade iris design which helps to render highlights in a natural way, avoiding distortions caused by using fewer iris blades. The HDR-PJ790E also ships with a removable lens hood to block unwanted light from entering the lens and causing undesirable flare in the shot.
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization with Active Mode
- Balanced Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode mounts the lens and image sensor together as one optical block floating inside the camera body. As the camera is moved the entire optical block moves as one unit, maintaining the integrity of the optical path and improving shake reduction. Another benefit of this image stabilization system is that it also reduces vignetting (light falloff towards the edges of the frame) and lowers distortion in videos and still photos.
- Color EVF
- The EVF features a color display and provides you increased run time when used instead of the LCD screen.
- 3.0" Xtra Fine LCD Touchscreen Display
- The 3.0" (16:9) Xtra Fine LCD features 921K dot resolution for sharp, bright, vivid images. The LCD display also functions as a touchscreen that allows you control over camera functions.
- AVCHD or MP4 Recording Formats
- Users can choose between the AVCHD or MP4 format. AVCHD provides premium video that can be enjoyed on large screen HDTVs and is ideal for capturing precious memories at special occasions, family vacations and other moments you want to treasure for a lifetime. MP4 is great for those moments that you want to quickly share on your social networks or store on the cloud.
- Embedded Flash Memory and Removable Media Cards
- The built-in 96GB embedded flash memory can record and store up to 37 hours 45 minutes of high definition video footage (HD LP mode). The HDR-PJ790E also comes with a single media card slot that is compatible with either SD/SDHC/SDXC cards or select Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo cards. Additionally, the camera can record directly to the removable media.
- Intelligent Auto Mode
- Intelligent Auto mode goes a step beyond traditional auto modes by analyzing your shot and then automatically selecting the appropriate settings from among the scene modes.
- CinemaTone Camera Presets
- CinemaTone technology is used to deepen the color and recreate film-like color tones. Combined with 24p recording, you can expand your shooting into a more cinematic direction.
- Built-in USB 2.0 Cable
- The built-in high-speed USB 2.0 cable provides an easy connection to your computer for charging or file transfer, without the need for a separate cable. It also fits conveniently into the hand strap so it's out of the way until you need it. You can also charge your camcorder's battery using this cable connected to a computer.
- Direct Copy and Highlight Playback
- Store your memories in a new way with the ability to copy videos from your camcorder directly to an external hard disk drive (sold separately), all without a computer. Your camcorder can also access videos stored on the external hard drive for playback on your HDTV, allowing you to utilize the camcorder's handy playback features. Highlight Playback identifies and compiles key scenes into a short, entertaining movie complete with music and transitions. You can even pinpoint the exact scene you want to include in the highlight reel.
- Built-in Projector
- The built-in projector features screen coverage of up to 100" diagonal. Project your footage directly from the camera to view your day's shooting, or share memories without crowding everyone around the LCD screen.
- View Everywhere
- Enjoy your favorite memories virtually anywhere. A dedicated micro HDMI port allows you to connect external HDMI-enabled devices like smartphones, laptops, and tablets. You can also view footage from these devices through the projector of the HDR-PJ790E, and with the camera's built-in stereo speakers the audio sounds more like real life.
- Unlimited Storage
- You can attach the camera to an optional external drive to view that drive's video content (dependent on format). You can also transfer content from the camera's internal memory to free up space, giving you virtually unlimited storage options.
- Accessory Multi-Interface Shoe
- Sony's Multi-Interface shoe is specifically designed to offer a common interface across all of Sony's Digital Imaging products. Quickly and easily attach a vast array of accessories compatible with this interface, including optional video lights, microphones and even Sony's Wi-Fi module (Must be purchased separately).
- Golf Shot
- Golf Shot captures a few seconds of motion as a sequence of still images, which can be viewed/printed individually or as a composite "sequence shot" image, which can be used for analyzing the nuances of a golf swing, tennis serve, and other fast action.
- Advanced Camera Control
- The video camera comes with manual control capabilities over focus, exposure, iris, shutter speed, auto exposure shift, white balance, audio levels, and gamma curves. Combined with the expanded focus, zebra bars and peaking display these are tools that allow you to improve your video as you gain more control over your shooting process.
- Step Down Filter Ring
- The included Step Down filter ring screws into the 52 mm threaded front of the lens, and allows you to attach a lens accessory, such as a wide-angle adapter, with 37 mm threads.