The 480GB Aura Pro 6G Solid State Drive & Envoy Pro Storage Solution from OWC / Other World Computing enables you to install a bigger, faster SSD in 2012-13 MacBook Pros with Retina display. It also lets you use the old factory SSD as a bus-powered, pocket-sized external storage solution.
This storage solution consists of a 480GB Aura Pro 6G SSD and an Envoy Pro Storage unit. You basically remove the old SSD from your MacBook Pro, install it in the Envoy Pro Storage unit, install the new 480GB SSD in your MacBook, and then transfer all the data from the old drive to the new one. The upgrade works only with 2012-13 MacBook Pro units with Retina display, but the external Envoy Pro drive is compatible with Mac, PC, and Linux operating systems.
This SSD makes use of the SandForce DuraClass technologies to intelligently manage and protect your data/contents. Along with offering ECC Protection, this SSD also uses RAISE (Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements) to prevent data loss, and extend drive life.
Note! Compatible with the Flash SSD module used in 2012-2013 13" and 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display models.
Requires USB 3.0 standard powered port. USB 2.0 use not supported or recommended.
- Complete Storage Upgrade
- The OWC Aura Pro 6G delivers optimal performance, functionality, and reliability by enabling you to upgrade the storage capacity of your factory locked MacBook Pro, to meet your storage needs. This storage solution ships with the necessary installation tools along with a tutorial video, to help you upgrade the storage capacity.
- Synchronous Interface NAND
- To achieve the higher bandwidth potential of the SATA 6 Gb/s bus standard, the OWC Aura Pro 6G SSD (Solid State Drive) utilizes a Tier-1 Synchronous NAND instead of the commonly utilized Asynchronous NAND. The Synchronous NAND feature enables reads and writes to be synced with the SSD processor's clock signal for maximum data throughput.
- Portable, Bus-Powered External Storage Solution for Use with the Macbook Pro with Retina Display
- The portable OWC Envoy Pro storage solution has an anodized aluminum body that complements the design and finish of the MacBook Pro with Retina display. The anodized aluminum body protects your drive and data, while its minimal size allows for simple stowing in coat pockets, backpacks or briefcases. The Envoy Pro requires no AC power and it makes use of the USB 3.0 interface, which offers read transfer rates up to 501 MB/s and write transfer rates up to 503 MB/s.
- Better by Design
- The OWC SSD uses the DuraWrite Technology, which optimizes writes to the flash memory over conventional controllers increasing the overall endurance and reliability of the complete SSD. Use of intelligent block management and wear leveling also extends the overall endurance of the SSD. This adds up to a higher MTTF (Mean Time To Failure) value.