The ikan D5w 5.6" Camera Monitor with HD LCD Panel and Waveform features a 5.6" HD IPS LCD screen with a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels, 300 NIT brightness with a 400:1 contrast ratio for a crisp image. It comes equipped with an interchangeable Nikon EN-EL 15 type battery plate, one HDMI input, one 3G-SDI in, and one loop-through 3G-SDI output. The monitor is lightweight at just over half a pound and features a rubberized body with four 1/4"-20 mounting holes (one on each side of the monitor) allowing you to mount it in almost any orientation you may need.
The D5w features built-in advanced display functions that spare you from having to carry additional signal display equipment. The built-in Waveform, Vectorscope and RGB Parade displays provide you an objective look at your video signal. You can toggle through 6 display modes, including quad view which displays the live video signal, Waveform, Vectorscope, and RGB Parade with each taking a quarter of the screen. The monitor also features Peaking, False Color, and Clip Guides, each one a valuable tool that the camera operator can use to check focus and exposure while shooting. The monitor scales the video to fit its screen, and includes a 1:1 pixel mode for checking fine details of your image.
The unit features both an HDMI, and a 3G-SDI input. The HDMI input makes it easy to use this monitor when shooting with HDSLR cameras, and the 3G-SDI input allows you to use the monitor with cameras that output 3G-SDI. There is also a loop through 3G-SDI output, which makes it easy to integrate the monitor into an SDI signal path without needing splitters. The built-in headphone jack allows you to monitor audio directly from the D5w. The control buttons are along the edges and back, including a menu scroll wheel and three assignable function keys. The Nikon EN-EL 15 type battery plate is removable and can be swapped out with other available battery plates, if your battery situation changes.
- HD Resolution
- The IPS LCD screen features 1280 x 800 resolution, which can display 720p natively, and will scale 1080i/p to fit. The HD resolution allows provides you a crisp image, and the IPS technology provides a 160° viewing angle, left to right and top to bottom.
- Small Lightweight Design
- The D5w weighs 0.6 lbs, making it the ideal field monitor for the video professional. You won't have to worry about your handheld rigs being weighed down.
- Human Interface
- The buttons and controls are along the edges and back of the unit, keeping the front of the monitor free and uncluttered. The menu utilizes a scroll wheel, and three assignable function buttons allow you to set up the monitor's controls how it makes most sense to you.
- The monitor features one 1/4"-20 threaded mounting hole on each side and includes a 1/4"-20 to cold shoe ball adapter.
- Flexible Battery System
- This model of the D5w includes an easily interchangeable battery plate for a Nikon EN-EL 15 compatible battery. Available replacement battery plates allow you to swap the plate so you don't have to buy a whole new monitor if your battery situation changes.
- Viewing Modes
You can toggle the display between the following Modes:
- Live View - displays the video image.
- RGB Parade
- Quad View - displays the live video input, waveform, vectorscope and RGB parade views at the same time, each in its own corner of the screen.
- Overlay, which displays the live view and overlays the waveform, vectorscope and RGB parade views next to each at the bottom of the screen.
- The waveform provides an objective evaluation of your video signal. It displays the brightness of your image on an IRE scale, allowing you to see if your image will clip, and where your black levels are.
- The vectorscope displays the signal on a graph so you can check the phase of your colors. The vectorscope function also verifies and checks the overall tint and hue of an image.
- The RGB parade displays the video signal as three separate colors channels; red, blue and green. This feature lets you objectively see how much of each color you have in your image.
The D5w includes the following selectable guide frames.
- Crosshair - Off / On
- Guides Full - Off / 90% / 80% / 4:3
- Guides 16:9 - Off / 90% / 80% / 4:3
- Guides 4:3 - Off / 90% / 80%
- G. Background - Normal / Half / Black
- Peaking highlights the sharpest (most in focus) areas of the image with a color outline. The D5w features two modes, monochrome, and color. The monochrome mode shows the image in black and white with the red peaking outline and the color peaking mode shows the image in color with a red peaking outline. Both the peaking color and sensitivity can be adjusted in the monitor's menu system.
- False Color
- The False Color feature provides under/over luminance warning by presenting the image as a series of color values representing exposure.
- Clip Guides
- Set the upper IRE limit on the monitor and any part of the frame that is brighter than the set limit will flash a vivid purple.
- Luma Under/Over
- ikan's exclusive Adjustable Under Exposure and Over Exposed Warning feature is an extension of false color. It allows the operator to set the preferred IRE exposure limits and the operator is warned when the image exposure exceeds or falling under the preset IRE limit.
- DSLR Scaling
- The DSLR Scaling function enables users to expand their DSLR camera's HDMI video signal to fill the monitor's screen if they wish. Users may choose from one of four scaling options: Normal, 3:2, 16:9 or Full Screen - convenience made simple.
- Movable Pixel-to-Pixel
- The D5w's 1:1 pixel-to-pixel mapping allows you to look at parts of your image without any scaling, so you can see the actual detail and not be fooled by scaling artifacts.
- LCD Controls
Menu controls allow you to adjust the following settings:
- Color Temp - 5600K/6500K/9300K/Manual