The ikan D7w 7" 3G-SDI/HDMI LCD Field Monitor with Sony BP-U Type Battery Plate features a 7" HD IPS LCD screen with a resolution of 1280 x 800 pixels and 400 NIT brightness with a 800:1 contrast ratio that delivers a sharp, bright image. It comes equipped with an interchangeable Sony BP-U type battery plate, one HDMI input, one loop through HDMI output, one 3G-SDI in, and one loop-through 3G-SDI output. The monitor features an aluminum chassis with four 1/4"-20 threaded mounting holes (one on each side of the monitor) allowing you to mount it in almost any orientation you may need.
The D7w features built-in advanced display functions that spare you from having to carry additional signal display equipment. The built-in Waveform, Vectorscope and RGB Parade displays provide you an objective look at your video signal. You can toggle through 6 display modes, including quad view which displays the live video signal, Waveform, Vectorscope and RGB Parade with each taking a quarter of the screen. The monitor also features Peaking, False Color, and Clip Guides, each one a valuable tool that the camera operator can use to check focus and exposure while shooting. The monitor scales the video to fit its screen, and includes a 1:1 pixel mode for checking fine details of your image. The monitor also features an Underscan mode, so you can shrink the image within the screen to make sure you are seeing the edges of the frame. The on-screen display simplifies navigating through the menu system. It also features both horizontal and vertical image flip, so you can properly orient the image, even if the monitor is upside, or you have to look at it through a mirror, and you can also flip the OSD if you need.
The unit features both an HDMI, and a 3G-SDI input. The HDMI input makes it easy to use this monitor when shooting with HDSLR cameras, and the 3G-SDI input allows you to use the monitor with cameras that output 3G-SDI. The HDMI and SDI outputs are both loop through, which means you can feed a clean signal to your downstream devices as any special displays on the monitor do not get output. The built-in headphone jack allows you to monitor audio directly from the D7w. The control buttons are along the edges and back, including a menu scroll wheel and four assignable function keys. The Sony BP-U type battery plate is removable and can be swapped out with other available battery plates, if your battery situation changes.
- HD Resolution
- The IPS LCD screen features 1280 x 800 resolution, which can display 720p natively, and will scale 1080i/p to fit. The HD resolution allows provides you a crisp image, and the IPS technology provides a 178° viewing angle, left to right and top to bottom.
- Lightweight Design, Aluminum Body
- The D7w weighs only one pound, and features a lightweight durable aluminum chassis.
- Human Interface
- The buttons and controls are along the edges and back of the unit, keeping the front of the monitor free and uncluttered. The menu utilizes a scroll wheel, and four assignable function buttons allow you to quickly access frequently used monitor features.
- The monitor features one 1/4"-20 threaded mounting hole on each side and includes a 1/4"-20 to cold shoe ball adapter.
- Flexible Battery System
- This model of the D7w includes an easily interchangeable battery plate compatible with a Sony BP-U type battery. Available replacement battery plates allow you to swap the plate so you don't have to buy a whole new monitor if your battery situation changes.
- Viewfinder Modes
You can toggle the display between the following Modes:
- Live View - displays the video image.
- RGB Parade
- Quad View - displays the live video input, waveform, vectorscope and RGB parade views at the same time, each in its own corner of the screen.
- Overlay- which displays the live view and overlays the waveform, vectorscope and RGB parade views next to each at the bottom of the screen.
- The waveform provides an objective evaluation of your video signal. It displays the brightness of your image on an IRE scale, allowing you to see if your image will clip, and where your black levels are.
- The vectorscope displays the signal on a graph so you can check the phase of your colors. The vectorscope function also verifies and checks the overall tint and hue of an image.
- The RGB parade displays the video signal as three separate colors channels; red, blue and green. This feature lets you objectively see how much of each color you have in your image.
The D7w includes the following selectable guide frames.
- Crosshair - Off / On
- Guides Full - Off / 90% / 80% / 4:3
- Guides 16:9 - Off / 90% / 80% / 4:3
- Guides 4:3 - Off / 90% / 80%
- G. Background - Normal / Half / Black
- Peaking highlights the sharpest (most in focus) areas of the image with a color outline. The D7w features two modes, monochrome, and color. The monochrome mode shows the image in black and white with the red peaking outline and the color peaking mode shows the image in color with a red peaking outline. Both the peaking color and sensitivity can be adjusted in the monitor's menu system.
- False Color
- The False Color feature provides under/over luminance warning by presenting the image as a series of color values representing exposure.
- Clip Guides
- Set the upper IRE limit on the monitor and any part of the frame that is brighter than the set limit will flash a vivid purple. This feature is only available when viewing images via the HDMI input.
- Luma Under/Over
- ikan's exclusive Adjustable Under Exposure and Over Exposed Warning feature is an extension of false color. It allows the operator to set the preferred IRE exposure limits and the operator is warned when the image exposure exceeds or falling under the preset IRE limit. This feature is only available when viewing images via the HDMI input.
- DSLR Scaling
- The DSLR Scaling function enables users to expand their DSLR camera's HDMI video signal to fill the monitor's screen if they wish. Users may choose from one of four scaling options: Normal, 3:2, 16:9 or Full Screen - convenience made simple. This feature is only available when viewing images via the HDMI input.
- Movable Pixel-to-Pixel
- The D7w's 1:1 pixel-to-pixel mapping allows you to look at parts of your image without any scaling, so you can see the actual detail and not be fooled by scaling artifacts.
The monitor features useful user functions:
- Check Field - The monitor's check field function allows you to select to view the image in either monochrome, or viewing only the blue, green, or red channel.
- H/V Delay
- Horizontal and Vertical Image Flip
- OSD - on-screeen display, which can also be flipped if necessary
- LCD Controls
Menu controls allow you to adjust the following settings:
- Color Temp - 5600K/6500K/9300K/Manual