The Golden Age Project EQ-81 Vintage-Style Equalizer uses vintage-style electronics with no integrated circuits and Tantalum capacitors in the signal path to deliver a classic tonality. It is designed to be used together with one of the Golden Age Project models that have an insert jack. It is not intended to be used as a standalone EQ. This equalizer can also be used with other products that have a low-level (from -18 to -10 dBu) unbalanced insert connector.
The class-AB circuit used in the EQ-81 Equalizer is similar to the EQ section in the classical 1081 module, without the high and low pass filters to provide a sonic character is warm, punchy, sweet, and musical. These classic characteristics have been heard on countless recordings through the years and it is a versatile sound that works very well on most sound sources and in most genres.
The EQ-81 Equalizer has stepped frequency controls that offers a wide selection of frequencies from 33 Hz to 15 kHz. The bass and treble frequency bands are switchable between shelving and bell, and the mid frequency band is of the bell type with a switchable Hi Q setting. The control range is ±18 dB. All the 4 bands can be set in an Off mode.
Combining one PRE-73 Preamplifier unit and one EQ-81 Equalizer using a UNITE rack kit, creates a 19” 1081-style signal chain.
- Vintage-style electronic Components
- Integrated circuit free signal path
- Four bands with inductor-based mid-frequency bands
- Stepped selection of frequency bands
- Frequency selections from 33 to 15,000 Hz
- Control range up to ±18 dB
- Each band has an Off mode
- Tantalum capacitors in the signal path
- Designed to work with Golden Age Project models that feature an insert jack
- TRS jack for input and output connections, the nominal working level is around -18 dBu
- Selectable ground lift switch
- External power supply helps avoid interaction with the audio circuits
- Suitable for a wide range of sources
- Durable build quality